I'm in a play

If anybody here is going to be in the Capital District May 11 - 13 or May 16 - 20, and you don't have anything better to do, why not take in a performance of "Our Country's Good" at the Schenectady Civic Playhouse? I'm appearing in it as Midshipman Harry Brewer. For those of you who don't know the play (and I didn't before I auditioned for it), it concerns the first convict colony in Australia during the late 1780s. My character gets to go crazy and DIE. It's a LOT of fun to perform. Tonight is opening night, so wish me luck!

Edited by Alexander

If anybody here is going to be in the Capital District May 11 - 13 or May 16 - 20, and you don't have anything better to do, why not take in a performance of "Our Country's Good" at the Schenectady Civic Playhouse? I'm appearing in it as Midshipman Harry Brewer. For those of you who don't know the play (and I didn't before I auditioned for it), it concerns the first convict colony in Australia during the late 1780s. My character gets to go crazy and DIE. It's a LOT of fun to perform. Tonight is opening night, so wish me luck!

Now how cool is that :g

Break a leg Alexander!

Opening night went very well, for me anyway. The theater is a very old building, and it goes without saying that it doesn't have central air, so it was quite warm last night (although not nearly as bad as the night before). Remember that the play is set in the late 18th century, so we're all dressed in rather heavy British military uniforms (mine is actually one of the lighter outfits). To give some relief to both actors and spectators, the emergency exit doors were opened. This meant that every sound from outside the theater was clearly audible from the stage. It wasn't a huge deal, until we came to my death scene. It's very quiet on-stage at that moment, and I could hear a party going on next door, with people laughing and talking loudly. Now, I don't do much during this scene. I just lie there and silently expire, but my scene partner has a rather intense monologue. Long story short, the talking distracted her and she flubbed a line. Only ONE line. But she was FURIOUS. After we left the stage, she was almost on the point of tears. For myself, I wouldn't have let it get to me, but some people are more sensitive to such things.

After the performance, we were supposed to go out into the lobby and greet the public. I changed first, so that when I went out to meet people, no one recognized me. That was pretty funny. One old lady asked, "Were you in the play?" I said that I had been Harry Brewer, and she acted very surprised. I suppose that's a compliment of a sort...