AOTW - Idris Muhammad's Power of Soul

K1969

This is a rare thing. A deep, un-chinsy, workman-like, commercial jazz fusion LP. It isn't the experimental Weather Report / Return to Forever type fusion that the critics liked. Rather it's the accessible radio "jazz-funk" that they usually panned as muzak. Recorded in 1974 - a real transition year - Muhammad had recently quit Prestige at the end of the soul-jazz era and Gover Washington was about to plunge into smooth jazz (boo, hiss!). Unlike other Creed Taylor produced LPs from the same period, it doesn't suffer from over production. There are few if any strings; no tacky vocalisations; the arrangements are unobtrusive and there is LOTS of solo space. Grover Washington's soloing is really exquisite - highly structured and melodic. Muhammad's drumming is restrained and sensual. Bob Jame's brooding electric piano is brilliant, adding colour and attitude with minimalist, single hand playing that you could never get away with on a regular piano - he virtually turns it into a completely new instrument. Most of the grooves are subtle and mellow - but the soloing is very emotional and expansive.

On a side note, because of the calming effect of the LP, I remember reaching for it on the evening of 9/11 to try to settle my nerves, but I nearly dropped it when I realized that Muhammad was staring out at the twin towers! Up until then I had never paid attention to the bland cover.

idris-muhammad-power-of-soul-cover-front.jpg

idris-muhammad-power-of-soul-cover-back.jpg

Guest donald petersen

lorans dance is a great tune but none of the other songs really held up as well for me.

they are mostly ok (i remember one tune being kinda cheesy) but in general i have no strong feeling either way on the rest of this album. i had it and got rid of it but if someone put it on, i would be happy to listen to it again.

lorans dance is really great, though.

lorans dance is a great tune but none of the other songs really held up as well for me.

they are mostly ok (i remember one tune being kinda cheesy) but in general i have no strong feeling either way on the rest of this album. i had it and got rid of it but if someone put it on, i would be happy to listen to it again.

lorans dance is really great, though.

Donald - if you get a chance to hear it again give "Piece of mind a try" Once you get past the so so melody it really takes off and Grover's soprano solo is SOOO good. It's the kind of LP that I had sitting on the shelf for years, playing only Lorans' Dance until one day I forced myself to check the other tracks. glad I did. Piece of mind really rewards a second chance.

True that Loran's Dance is up there with the angels. Great intro, Great melody, GREAT Washington solo (one of his best ever), Great finale. It's the kind of piece that makes you think half way through hearing it for the first time, "no God please don't make them have a drum solo or a sped up latin section with cuica..."

....and..... it doesn't! Just holds it together, building and building and building....

MAJESTIC!

Come to mention it I've always thought that Loran's Dance would make a cracking, sultry vocal track. The melody is crying out to be sung. Dee Dee Bridgewater anyone? Even Norah Jone's husky tones could give it a dreamy quality (without the country feel)

dude thats really weird dude ive never noticed that about the cover too-- wHooooooaaaaaa

yea chewy dig this one too

I was pleasantly surprised they reissued this with the original front and back cover art in 2002, so soon after 9/11. Not that there is any "wrong" or offensive about it. As I said it's quite a bland cover. But you know how the climate was back in those in those days...... In the mainstream market it could've been a bit :wacko::rfr:excited::eye::o:angry::excl: , but everyone was :cool: about it.

dude thats really weird dude ive never noticed that about the cover too-- wHooooooaaaaaa

yea chewy dig this one too

I was pleasantly surprised they reissued this with the original front and back cover art in 2002, so soon after 9/11. Not that there is any "wrong" or offensive about it. As I said it's quite a bland cover. But you know how the climate was back in those in those days...... In the mainstream market it could've been a bit :wacko::rfr:excited::eye::o:angry::excl: , but everyone was :cool: about it.

Yeah, I remembered when it was reissued and not only thinking the same thing, but just getting a bit of a chill down my spine looking at the cover. Who knew back in the 70's what kind of significance this cover might've had?