J & R Music Sale

Tom 1960

I was just going to start a thread lamenting the fact that over the past two weeks the floorspace dedicated to jazz at J&R has been notably scaled back - jazz and blues are now in the same room. This was not unforeseen, but a bummer nonetheless. I found going to J&R to be a lot more fun and often a much better deal than shopping online. Plus, the weekly walk from Soho down to Park Row was a substantial portion of my exercise regimen.

Oh well.

I like that - I walk to the record store to get exercise! That's the ticket!

Jan, you have given us married guys everywhere a great new excuse for going to the record store three times a week!

Bertrand.

In the old days, back when I was in town (NYC) a lot and I was still getting a lot of exercise, I used to walk from 25th st down to Tower in the Village quite a bit.

I was just going to start a thread lamenting the fact that over the past two weeks the floorspace dedicated to jazz at J&R has been notably scaled back - jazz and blues are now in the same room.

That's not good news. I'd been going there quite a bit in the past year or so.

Plus, the weekly walk from Soho down to Park Row was a substantial portion of my exercise regimen.

Oh well.

Is that the J&R that is close to the site of the WTC?

Last time I was in there (a couple of years ago now) they had the Free America's on 'special' and a couple of copies of the 'Jazz In Paris' behemoth in stock.

No doubt all long gone now..

I like that - I walk to the record store to get exercise! That's the ticket!

Jan, you have given us married guys everywhere a great new excuse for going to the record store three times a week!

Bertrand.

In the old days, back when I was in town (NYC) a lot and I was still getting a lot of exercise, I used to walk from 25th st down to Tower in the Village quite a bit.

I can go one better .... 1988/89. when I was on a Gannett Fellowship at Columbia University, I lived on 106th Street (Duke Ellington Street) ... On Saturdays, and even some following Sundays, I would meander all the way down Broadway to J & R .... I loved that walk, buying books, flea market LPs, and sundry goodies along the way, and then take the subway home. During my 10 months living in N.Y. I lost over 50 lbs without going on diet. In Houston, where it is either too hot to walk, or there is not much to window shop for, I have had to devise a rigorous exercise program to control my weight. I sure miss that walk!

I went there yesterday looking for a disc by Tab Benoit, and headed directly to where the blues section used to be. I looked & looked and then actually had to ask where it was. They put blues and N'awlins music in the jazz section, thus making the jazz section even smaller! I think the only reason they even have a decent jazz section is because Jan & Rochelle Friedman, the owners, are jazz fans. J&R also puts on some shows at City Hall park every year, and I was fortunate to catch Stefon Harris a couple years ago.