Album of the week: Donald Byrd - Byrd in Hand

AfricaBrass

Just a thought on Pepper-I'm playing Bull's Eye by Barry Harris at the moment. The instrumentaion is the same as on Byrd In Hand but Adams seems much less reliant on his licks than on the Harris date than he does with Byrd.

Edited by JohnS

Is there anyone else out there listening to the Donald Byrd this week?

I've not listened to the Donald Byrd this week. My Gerald Wilson Mosaic arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I purchased three new CDs from a 'Borders' visit (when I'd planned to purchase nothing).

I know the goal, on this Board, is to write new reviews, posts, etc.. I wrote an excellent review on this CD at the BNBB. Alas, I've not been inspired to write another review.

The BNBB = pisses me off (I can't get a copy of my own words anymore). :rmad:

Edited by wesbed

Is there anyone else out there listening to the Donald Byrd this week?

I've not listened to the Donald Byrd this week. My Gerald Wilson Mosaic arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I purchased three new CDs from a 'Borders' visit (when I'd planned to purchase nothing).

I know the goal, on this Board, is to write new reviews, posts, etc.. I wrote an excellent review on this CD at the BNBB. Alas, I've not been inspired to write another review.

The BNBB = pisses me off (I can't get a copy of my own words anymore). :rmad:

I hope you're enjoying the Gerald Wilson. That should keep you busy for a while.

I understand how you feel about the BNBB. It's disgusting how much amazing information was lost. They should have either kept it up as an archive in a locked state, or offered the posts for someone else to host. It's a great responsibility to run a Bulletin Board. I host one for my family and I have found that to be the case. They are trusting me to keep this valuable information for them.

Since you already wrote a review, how would you rate it on a letter scale? For me it was a B/B+.

I hope you'll join us for future albums of the week.

:rsmile:

Although I did not post often on the old BNBB, I always enjoyed the dialogue. I am not much of a hardbop fan :o ; however, I have faithfully purchased all of the RVG reissues. I didn't own very many of the previous issues, and the U.S. RVG program provided an opportunity to build quite a collection of different jazz artists. I actually prefer earlier jazz (Armstrong, Basie, Teagarden, and the 40s big band era).

The Album of the week concept sounded great and prompted me to give Byrd in Hand a second listen. I found this CD quite enjoyable; my favorite numbers are Bronze Dance and Here I Am. I found Pepper Adams playing intriguing (I played Alto Sax for a number of years in high school and college). He can really muscle the baritone and presents quite a contrast to Byrd's trumpet playing. The experience has me looking at the Mosaic box set as a future purchase.

I hear lots of Monk influence in this album, that extends beyond just Rouse being on board and bringing in his history. . . . I'm not that sure about Adams, but all the others had recent contact with Monk and this was a time when I think Monk's influence on the NYC scene was being felt among many players. The feel of the r-section here has a Monkian feel; Davis knew Monk personally and musically, Jones and Taylor had been the bass and drums for Monk on recent occasions. The way the swing is and the way that some of the tunes are arranged make me think of Monk. The tune "Here Am I" seems to me to be a kissing cousin of "Sweet and Lovely" which Monk loved to play. . . . Lots of Monk in this session if you ask me, and that is a GOOD thing!

I hear lots of Monk influence in this album, that extends beyond just Rouse being on board and bringing in his history. . . . I'm not that sure about Adams, but all the others had recent contact with Monk and this was a time when I think Monk's influence on the NYC scene was being felt among many players. The feel of the r-section here has a Monkian feel; Davis knew Monk personally and musically, Jones and Taylor had been the bass and drums for Monk on recent occasions. The way the swing is and the way that some of the tunes are arranged make me think of Monk. The tune "Here Am I" seems to me to be a kissing cousin of "Sweet and Lovely" which Monk loved to play. . . . Lots of Monk in this session if you ask me, and that is a GOOD thing!

Welcome to the board, David!

Here I am is one of my favorite tracks too. I too am interested in the Mosaic set. I listened to this cd since I posted my review, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I overdid listening to it over and over. Today, I would have given it a B+.

Lon,

Good point about the Monk influence. The liners for the RVG mention that 4 months before this session, all participants took part in Monk's first orchestral concert at New York's Town Hall. I enjoyed Davis' piano on this session. I thought Rouse and Adams were on overdrive. I need to listen again to pay closer attention to the rhythm section.

I had the Byrd/Pepper Mosaic set in the car when this was chosen and since I didn't feel like figuring out which disc it was on and taking it back inside for serious listening, I didn't participate. But now that I am up to the last disc in the set, I really wish that the "Royal Flush" date had been selected instead. Great tunes and also Herbie's first appearance on the label would have made it a better choice for an album of the week discussion.

I really wish that the "Royal Flush" date had been selected instead. Great tunes and also Herbie's first appearance on the label would have made it a better choice for an album of the week discussion.

The problem with making an album of the week that is only available in a Mosaic set or as a japanese pressing, is that it limits participation. I've been thinking of cds that I would love to do, but I know I can't pick Larry Young's Mother Ship because it isn't readily available.

After spending the time with Byrd in Hand, I wish BN would have released Royal Flush as the RVG instead since they had already rereleased Byrd in Hand in the Collector's Choice series.

Maybe we could start a second album of the week thread for harder to find titles.

Actually, I've had an idea, I guess it isn't particularly realistic, but what about the distribution of burns of hard to find or never reissued LPs? Maybe the one person who owns the LP and nominates it sends out five or ten burns, and those who receive burns send them onto the next group. Just mailing CDRs would cost a dollar or so.

Might also be interesting if people were called upon to offer opinions purely based on listening, no liners included.

I know, not exactly realistic.

Actually, I've had an idea, I guess it isn't particularly realistic, but what about the distribution of burns of hard to find or never reissued LPs? Maybe the one person who owns the LP and nominates it sends out five or ten burns, and those who receive burns send them onto the next group. Just mailing CDRs would cost a dollar or so.

Might also be interesting if people were called upon to offer opinions purely based on listening, no liners included.

I know, not exactly realistic.

I think it's a great idea!

I would be happy to participate.

One other thought for album of the week titles. If we were doing out of print titles, maybe we could do a mp3 cd of out of print albums. Example: I have the first 17 connoisseur cds ripped to one mp3 disc. Maybe we could have an out of print album of the week.

Just thinking out loud.

You have some great in-laws!

You got THAT right!!! :excited:

I like the idea you and Dan are talking about. Especially since I came to jazz late in the game, and as a result a lot of great titles went OOP before I even knew about 'em.

Royal Flush is another fine treat. I wonder if Mosaic hadn't put "Jorgie's" on their website if I would've been as inclined to get the set or not! That one song sold me on the whole set!

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine just ordered this from BMG. Apparently there is some sort of audible error on one of the tracks. From the way he describes it, it sounds like something similar to the Hutcherson Dialogue problem... anyone else have a flawed disc? Just curious.

Thanks.

I cannot remember anything strange, can you help us zoom in on the problem a little? which track and at what time?