Hugh Brodie

Tom 1960

Saxophonist, Hugh Brodie is playing here Sunday at a local restaurant. I thought of stopping by especially since the place he's playing is advertising "no cover". I have to admit not knowing anything of the gentleman with the exception of the information I was able to obtain from his website. Seems like he played abit with Illinois Jacquet during the 80's for a few years? Has anyone here heard of this gentlemen and willing to add a few thoughts? I'm not sure if I'll get much input here, but thought it was worth a shot? You guys know a heck of alot more than me.

Edited by Tom 1960

I believe that he's lived in the Hudson Valley for a number of years. I have a couple of things by him in my collection - 1 track with a Cal Massey group on the Candid anthology, The Jazz Life, and an LP with J.R. Monterose on Cadence Jazz Records.

I don't know anything about him other than that.

Apparently he's based in "Sullivan County" which is about an hour from me. It's kind of funny. The ad in the paper advertises him as "Legendary Jazz Musician". I guess they figure that might lure a few people like myself in through the door who might not know better? :P

Brodie can play. He's on the Cal Massey Candid album, then he put out some early 70s indie things that were very nice. the last thing I heard by him was called Unforgettable Sax, but unfortunately it was. But the cat can play, no question. I'd go see him, no wuestions asked. He's been around and definitely should be able to deal.

No cover? No brainer. Go!

Guys, you have convinced me enough to check out the show. As I said, the gig is at a local restaurant and a rather small one at that. There's not much room at this place. It'll be interesting to see how they're going to make this thing work. A good plan would probably to get my butt down there early to get a prime spot.