AOTW May 27, 2007: Carla White - A Voice In The Night

mikeweil

In Memory Of Carla White, 1951-2007

carlawhite.jpg

On May 9, 2007 Carla White, one of the best (IMHO) but underrated jazz singers on the scene, passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer (obituary thread).

I always thought I should bring her to the attention of this board's members, as critical as most are towards vocalists. She was my favourite female vocalist ever since I heard her wild scatting on her first LP, co-led with trumpeter Manny Duran, and kept buying her albums as soon as they came out. I was never disappointed. She kept her scatting chops up until the most recent album, although the great American songbook as well as a number of nice originals outnumbered the scat tracks in the last ten years. Go to her website at Jazz Corner for comprehensive info. Since I loved her music so much I decided to compile her discography and asked her for some info via e-mail - she responded immdiately, bewildered by the fact that a jazz fan in distant Germany was attracted to her music.

Besides being a scat nut I love the feeling of life experience in her singing - her stories are always enlivened by the ups and downs of her own life.

I always wanted to feature one of her albums as AOTW - I so sorry I'm a little too late. She took so much effort in this and her next to last album, produced them herself and struggled for five years each time until she finally had them released - and founded her own label in the end, like so many others, and used CD Baby as distributor - click here to order. You can use the link on her website as well to buy this or her other CDs available - the price may seem high but part of the money goes to the Jazz Cares Fund.

Check out the CD - the sidemen are top, Claudio Roditi especially playing at his very best.

Lew Tabackin was a close friend and featured on some earlier CDs.

There's much to discover in this singer's work.

Edited by mikeweil

In Memory Of Carla White, 1951-2007

carlawhite.jpg

On May 9, 2007 Carla White, one of the best (IMHO) but underrated jazz singers on the scene, passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer (obituary thread).

I always thought I should bring her to the attention of this board's members, as critical as most are towards vocalists. I always wanted to feature one of her albums as AOTW - I so sorry I'm a little too late. She took so much effort in this and her next to last album, produced them herself and struggled for five years each time until she finally had them released - and founded her own label in the end, like so many others, and used CD Baby as distributor - click here to order.

Check out the CD - the sidemen are top, Claudio Roditi especially playing at his very best.

Lew Tabackin was a close friend and featured on some earlier CDs.

There's much to discover in this singer's work.

I am deeply sorry for this sad new Mikeweil.

Thank you for your words I completely agree. I love the albums with Tabakin I have of her. She was a very personal, dedicated and skillfull singer. "Listen Here" or "The Sweetest Sound"or "Mood Swings" are well worth an AOTW thread as vocal jazz cds, in my opinion.

I ordered her last recording and miss the choice to hear again new Carla's music or to see her performing live

Edited by ArmandoPeraza