Universal Music to Cut CD Prices to Under $13

Claude

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Chuck, at Borders (at least while I was there) we did re-price old stock in a downward manner from time to time. Often it had to do with labels moving items from top list-price to a budget line--I recall certain Sony jazz titles being dropped from $16.99 to the Best Value $11.99 price, and I also recall re-pricing the early RVGs, which were originally $16.99. However, stores implement this at their own pace, and there won't be a magical "day" when everything suddenly appears at a new, lower price. Rather, the change will be incremental (unless your local Borders/B & N/Tower/what-have-you puts some poor sap like Jazzdog on an overnight... :eye: ).

Knowing what I know about how it will work on MY end...every couple of weeks I get a list of all prices that need to be adjusted...up or down. To wit I go find all those titles and pull them and reprint new labels for. It's happening all the time with DVD's now, after several months the newest releases go down tot he standard retail price. Usually my cd list is meager, but I expect that to pick up whenever the changes are implemented. Right now is the time when the stores are heavily stocked for the Holiday season, which has already been underway for several weeks. Its just a large buildup of stock, until mid January, when things go back to normal. When that happens, eventually I will send the mass stock of titles to the distribution center, and someone else will take care of the restickering. Makes my job easier, but in turn makes someone on the other side hate my fucking guts for doing this. Which is fine by me, as long as they dont know where I live! ;)

Overnights? No fecking way...not for this at least, they'll never approve the bloody OT! :(

• 2 weeks later...

I just got some CDs from Costco for $6.

Reba McEntire - 20th Century Masters - Christmas (compilation of her 3 Christmas CDs)

Olivia Newton-John : 20th Century Masters - Christmas (re-issue of her 2001 Christmas CD that was priced higher)

Manhattan Transfer - Christmas CD (columbia Nice Price)

I think these were all part of the Universal reduced pricing scheme. :unsure:

Costco also had some 3-packs of CDs for $18.99

Jethro Tull (3 different original titles; remastered with bonus cuts)

Tina Turner

Paul McCartney (Ram, McCartney, Tug of War)

(can't remember all the other artists)

Dylan box set (15) SACD/hybred $150

Edited by Tjazz

Actually, Chuck, at Borders (at least while I was there) we did re-price old stock in a downward manner from time to time. ...

I think borders was better than other retailers.... :winky: I can walk into Music for a song, and I know that certain cds will ring up cheaper than the sticker price, cuz I saw it for less on their website. I have seen VHS tapes priced at 19.99 ring up for $4.99 at FYE, some places just don't even want the customer to know that there is some cheap stuff out there....and don't get me started with Media Play!!! :angry: I will find stuff in a bin marked 2 for $5, and they have wanted to charge me the original $7.99 price, and I have to fight/drag them over, find the mark down bar code on their weekly printouts for them.....

I read on our corporate intranet yesterday that everything was supposed to have been restickered in our stores (Best Buy) for this change. The idea was that customers were going to come in with the expectation of finding CD's at lower prices, so it was best to get it taken care of right away. I'll have to go to one of the local stores and verify that it's actually taken place. Also, if I read the article correctly, it looks like with the lower prices on CD's, Universal is also pulling most of its funding for advertising in our circulars and for in-store promotions. Interesting...

So Berrigan and Ghost are former Borders employees!  I didn't know you had anything in common! ;)

GA, didn't you say on another board that you worked at Borders, or am I confusing you with someone else????

Yes, I worked at the Duluth, GA, Borders for four years. It was my first experience with Gen Y slackers!

Well, if any other stores are going with the markdown strategy, I certainly wouldn't want to be the holdout who first alienates their customers, and secondly gets stuck with the stock, unable to sell it at any price. It always amazes me when I see stuff a month after Halloween in a store at 50% off; at Target by a week after we'll have it at 75% off, and a week after that at 90% off. The next week it gets dumped. We don't waste good shelf space on unrealistic expectations; we need it for merchandise! :g

• 2 months later...