How Low Can You Go? : Anthology of the String Bass (1925-1941)

glad you mentioned Dick Spottswood, as I just talked to him on Monday - funny, because they had a disagreement about the title, which Dick doesn't like, but I've forgotten what his original was - Spottswood is one of those guys who knows more than anyone about the whole picture of American vernacular music and he's beyond generous with his time and expertise -

he should get one of those NEA masters awards -

Edited by AllenLowe

I haven't heard this set yet but Dust to Digital does great work. Their Goodbye, Babylon box set of gospel recordings and Fonotone Records : Frederick Maryland set of the 78's Joe Bussard released (the last label to release 78's in the U.S.) are fantastic documents. These are both examples of how box sets should be done. Wonderful music and an obvious love for the music that comes through in the care taken assembling the entire package.

I also highly recommend the documentary they did called Desperate Man Blues, about Joe Bussard and his collection of 78's.

I haven't heard this set yet but Dust to Digital does great work. Their Goodbye, Babylon box set of gospel recordings and Fonotone Records : Frederick Maryland set of the 78's Joe Bussard released (the last label to release 78's in the U.S.) are fantastic documents. These are both examples of how box sets should be done. Wonderful music and an obvious love for the music that comes through in the care taken assembling the entire package.

I also highly recommend the documentary they did called Desperate Man Blues, about Joe Bussard and his collection of 78's.

That doc is highly recommended.

When were the last Fonotone 78s pressed? I thought about that yesterday, for some reason.

For that matter, when did the majors cease new production of 78s?

That doc is highly recommended.

When were the last Fonotone 78s pressed? I thought about that yesterday, for some reason.

For that matter, when did the majors cease new production of 78s?

The majors, I believe, continued producing 78s into the 50s. I know that some of Elvis Presley's Sun sides were pressed on shellac. 78s had a slightly longer life internationally, where it took a bit longer for vinyl to become industry standard. That said, I would say that 78s were dead by the age of the Beatles.

Fonotone ceased production, I think, in 1970.