New 'Jazz In Paris' series?

eeegor

I recently came across a 2-cd set by Bill Coleman, titled 'The complete Philips recordings'.

It's by the same people who did the renowned Gitanes 'Jazz In Paris' series. It is listed as being 'hors-series 02'.

Is this a one-off two-fer, or is it part of a bigger series? If so, does anyone know what the other titles are?

I recently came across a 2-cd set by Bill Coleman, titled 'The complete Philips recordings'.

It's by the same people who did the renowned Gitanes 'Jazz In Paris' series. It is listed as being 'hors-series 02'.

Is this a one-off two-fer, or is it part of a bigger series? If so, does anyone know what the other titles are?

I did a search and came up with this post from king ubu (see the bottom).

Edited by funkogre

these "hors series" are a couple or three special editions which were issued together with the first 100 releases but as special "out of series" items, maybe because they are double. they are not usually found together with the main releases and are a bit rare.

I have Sacha Distel - Jazz guitarist, which is a double CD. The Coleman is too. And now i can't remember which the third "hors series" was and if it was also a double CD, if there was a third, something i'm almost certain of.

the Jazz in Paris series, which i think was finished around 2002, saw a couple new releases last year, but they were just compilations of existing tracks. the four big boxes and a 5CD comp of the 100 most beautiful tunes of the series. and i don't know if i'm forgetting anything else.

so the series should run to something like 104/105 references. and i seem to recall the series is closed because there's no more mineable material out there, no more French 78s, 10" or 12" from Barclay, Fontana or labels under the Universal umbrella that could see a release. i'm always a bit intrigued by this. you wouldn't believe all jazz recorded in Paris from the 20s to the 70s would fit into these 100 CDs, even if restricted to some labels.

and i still recall the older Gitanes, with hteir whitish covers and bigger Gitanes logo. i suppose they were all duplicated and reissued in the Jazz in Paris series. or is there some difference between collections?

the Jazz in Paris is a collectable, beatifully packaged and carefully remastered series, though it could do with original cover repros. but i guess they wanted a unified look and faced the dillemma that most releases combined more than one album. still, they could have been included in the booklets, an alternative but plausible solution.

And now i can't remember which the third "hors series" was and if it was also a double CD, if there was a third, something i'm almost certain of.

Jean-Claude Fohrenbach - "Fohrenbach French Sound".

As for the series being finished, let's hope not ... If they decide to go back into the 78rpm era (like they did with the "Jazz under the Occupation" CD) there MUST be more. Same for releases on the French Polydor label.

Also agree about including a facsimile of the original artwork. Though the period Paris street scenes are very nice and in many cases evoke the era of the music nicely ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

yes, i like the actual covers a lot. they fit the music inside perfectly. so it's not like i'm complaining. these CDs are very nice the way they are. it's just that i don't feel like i really have the album unless i get hte full artwork, or at least the front cover. i hate reissues with fantasy covers (something that doesn't apply here). and there are made up covers that are really artful. just think of P. Roques.

also, the booklets are b/w. and maybe many of these albums didn't even have a cover in the first place. like 78s and some 10".

oops, i just saw there WERE some new titles issued last year. i don't know why i had the impression nothing new was added, though i knew the series had been extended. and i vaguely seem to remember now that the publisher stated that after these last releases the well was empty now and declared the collection closed. i think i read that from Universal, on their release info. can't remember for sure though. and it sounds strange. not very plausible.

Edited by Bluesnik

One of the new releases was Vol. 5 of "Jazz et Cinema."

They're all listed in my post in the other thread (see links above)!

What that list doesn't include is the four boxes (4CDs each, seems they're marvellous but I don't have any of them), the DVD/remix thing, the 5CD "most beautiful melodies" compilation (all tracks from single CDs, I think), and the Catalogue (I'm not sure if that contained a sampler CD, too, don't have it).

• 3 weeks later...

a couple of weeks ago i had a strange sighting...

i found a Jazz in Paris in a jewel case!! :huh: first time i've seen that. it was Sarah Vaughan and Strings and i couldn't read the samll print very well in the dark store. i just saw 2007 as the production date and i thought it could be a new addition to the series, not being aware of that title. it was dirt cheap and i got it.

only when i was back at my office did i discover it was #83, so nothing new :mellow:

but that means some of the titles are being reissued in jewel cases in a second edition now. hardly surprising after 5 years and considering many are OOP.

i guess they'll put out the bigger names (O. Peterson, Chet Baker, Django...) and skip the obscurer titles and let them slowly fade out. or that's the feeling i have. that's done with some reissue programs some years after the first run, for instance with the Brazilian Odeon remasters.

so it's not a bad moment to pick up some of those favourites i have been meaning to get for some time, like some Elek Bacsik, the second René Thomas (not The real cat), the Jazz sous l'occupation (which i can't find now ... and i'd held it in my hands so many times before :( ), Bobby Jaspar - Jeux de Cartes a.o.

i think i'm going out right NOW :D

Edited by Bluesnik

a couple of weeks ago i had a strange sighting...

i found a Jazz in Paris in a jewel case!! :huh: first time i've seen that. it was Sarah Vaughan and Strings and i couldn't read the samll print very well in the dark store. i just saw 2007 as the production date and i thought it could be a new addition to the series, not being aware of that title. it was dirt cheap and i got it.

saw that one, too; only JiP jewel case I know; just listening to Eddy Louiss Bohemia after Dark; a big thanks to all who recommended it here; btw, i got this one and the Sonny Criss from amazon.de seller tangotienda; very cheap and reliable, but they are Argentinian editions which have slightly worse printing quality for the cover and have only the discographical info in the booklet, no liner notes...