Serge Gainsbourg

Teasing the Korean

I like him quite some - mostly his early stuff, but also some of the later things.

Also caught "Anna" a couple of months ago (reported about it in the film corner, I think) - great soundtrack, a few great cameos by Serge himself, and of course the lovely Anna Karina all the way through...

While in Paris last autumn I bought the "100 meilleurs chansons" box of his (that's a series of 5CD boxes, you'll get one for Brel, Trenet, Aznavour etc. etc.). I assume that will do for a while... on the other hand, a store in town has several of his albums in mini LP packages (all 60s and 70s albums) that look rather nice...

• 1 month later...

Serge's instrumental soundtrack stuff is really good. Right now I'm listening to a great disc of his soundtrack stuff done in collaboration with Michel Colombier, including music from Manon 70 and Anna.

While I don't know the soundtracks, I've had a chance to catch "Anna" a few months ago, in a whole series of films related to BB and Gainsbarre... stupid little flick, but Anna Karina is great in it, and Serge's few short appearances (the perfect arrogant asshole) were great as well. The best about it though was definitely the music, he had a great hand for that!

Where do you have this music from? The 3CD "Cinéma de Serge Gainsbourgh" box? Or old LPs with longer parts of the respective soundtracks?

• 4 years later...

Just watched the biopic. Anyone see it? Some good and some bad aspects. The actor really nailed him, which was good.

The drawbacks were (for me):

***spoilers***

the recurring puppet alter-ego, and the lack of cultural contexts for the various career moves.

Still, worth placing in the Netflix queue.

Comparing my current avatar to that of five years ago. My, how I've aged...

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 10 years later...

Melody Nelson is good, and I particularly like L'homme à la Tête de Choux. Lyrics are great, but the music has not aged well, IMO. 

My favorite is his early stuff, for example this classic:

There have been many covers. Here is Juliette Greco's (Miles Davis' girlfriend!) 

And it turns out Greco was the inspiration for the song. Video is in French, sorry. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

This could never get made today, except perhaps in France.

I gotta stop dropping acid; I thought I just saw a bunch of unshaven eight year-olds wearing shades and smoking cigarettes while drinking from martini glasses and singing some Serge Gainsbourg song!