The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Alexander

Guest donald petersen

g_d i don't think i've every heard any white stripes and i pray i never hear this allison miller if she is backing up ani defranco, but even i sense how stupid your comment is, shadow.

your comment might also be sexist. but i do not give two shits of a dump either way as i have no reason to be in this thread.

Allison Miller is a great drummer - can play jazz with anybody, AND works well on the pop/rock side - I've seen her a few times with a friend of mine, Erin McKeown - Allison is a great drummer -

I'm sure she is great. I just think the whole, "so-and-so is better than whatshisface" argument is stupid. Allison Miller is not Meg White. She doesn't play in the White Stripes, so whether or not she's a better drummer is really irrelivant. The idea that women who play drums should be compared to other women who play drums (Terri Lynn Carrington, Cindy Blackman, etc.) is absurd. It would be absurd as saying "Pavarotti kicks Bob Dylan's ass." Yeah, they're both men. They both sing. And Dylan trying to sing Verdi's "Otello" would be pretty silly. But Pavarotti trying to sing "Blowin' In The Wind" would sound pretty stupid too (in fact, I usually hate it when opera singers try to sing pop. Their voices are TOO highly trained. Many of them can't "dumb it down" enough to sing a simple melody).

I'm not aiming any of this at you, Allen. I'm just using your post as a springboard to talk about this rather silly discussion about Ms. Miller vs Meg White. When people invade threads to dump on the artists under discussion and drop the names of people they think are "better," we're getting into Clem territory. I personally try never to put down an artist I'm not fond of. I'm old enough to know that my likes and dislikes are not the final word when it comes to quality. A good friend of mine is into Rush. He just sent me a couple of "Greatest Hits" CDs that he no longer needed (since he had all of the albums). I listened to them both and found that (on first hearing) they are not my cup of tea (he also sent me some King Crimson and Yes albums, which I liked much, much better). Does this mean that Rush sucks? Not at all. I might get more out of it upon closer inspection. I also may never get into it, but that has more to do with me and my particular tastes than it does with Geddy Lee.

Allison Miller is a great drummer - can play jazz with anybody, AND works well on the pop/rock side - I've seen her a few times with a friend of mine, Erin McKeown - Allison is a great drummer -

Agreed, Miller's fantastic.

No point in comparing the two, and hell, I don't even give a damn about the White Stripes, really. I do think that Meg is a fine drummer for the music that she plays.