R.I.P. Boots Randolph

DukeCity

The reason for the boos was his referring to Jim Nabors (who was present) and Rock Hudson as "the dairy queens." It was an out of place and bigoted remark that came close to his being rushed on stage--he was lucky that we only booed.

I don't mean to make light of the situation (or maybe I do) but the vision of an enraged crowd trying to defend the honor of Jim Nabors by rushing the stage to attack Boots Randolph and his yakety sax makes me giggle like a school girl.

would make for great opera.

just to take this thread in ever more confusing directions - I actually remember seeing Boots on some country music show (not sure but coulda been the old Roger Miller show) and thinking, that guy can blow - he was actually a pretty accomplished player and could improvise quite well, as I recall -

just to take this thread in ever more confusing directions - I actually remember seeing Boots on some country music show (not sure but coulda been the old Roger Miller show) and thinking, that guy can blow - he was actually a pretty accomplished player and could improvise quite well, as I recall -

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/review_print.php?id=25753

Many of us booed him during Columbia/CBS Records' annual convention at L.A.'s Century Plaza Hotel in the early Seventies. He led the band for the closing banquet, a gala affair that traditionally featured performances by some of the label's biggest stars. The reason for the boos was his referring to Jim Nabors (who was present) and Rock Hudson as "the dairy queens." It was an out of place and bigoted remark that came close to his being rushed on stage--he was lucky that we only booed.

Frankly, good riddance.

If this guy merits such a comment, I'd hate to read what you wrote after Miles Davis passed away...

Guy

Many of us booed him during Columbia/CBS Records' annual convention at L.A.'s Century Plaza Hotel in the early Seventies. He led the band for the closing banquet, a gala affair that traditionally featured performances by some of the label's biggest stars. The reason for the boos was his referring to Jim Nabors (who was present) and Rock Hudson as "the dairy queens." It was an out of place and bigoted remark that came close to his being rushed on stage--he was lucky that we only booed.

Frankly, good riddance.

If this guy merits such a comment, I'd hate to read what you wrote after Miles Davis passed away...

Guy

I get it now.