Jesus Christ Superstar

dave9199

My brother used to have this and I remember seeing the movie a few times. A few years ago I borrowed it from a library in still loved quite a few songs on it. I just got it from Amazon and certain songs bring a tear to my eye and I'm not religious. I just love the songs:

What's The Buzz

Everything's Alright

I Don't Know How To Love Him

King Herod's Song

Superstar

The end of Trial Before Pilate always gives me chills:

Don't let me stop your great self-destruction

DIE! if you want to you misguided martyr

I wash my hands of your demolition

DIE! if you want to you innocent puppet!

VERY attractive woman. . . .Sang with Clapton for a while.

My headmaster at my boarding school in M'Babane was also my Latin prof, a big incentive to do well in the class, especially since I was about two years behind the class when I first came to the school.

He liked to tell the story that Andrew Lloyd Weber was a student of his in England, and he did not do well in Latin and my headmaster (Michael Stern) would tell him over and over "If you don't knuckle under and do better in your Latin and other subjects YOU WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING!"

Well. . .Michael Stern was at least willing to highlight when he ws wrong. :)

Could be about Jesus also:

If I can't have you

I don't want nobody baby

If I can't have you

I-I-I

I remember thinking she was hot back in the day. She's Hawiian I think.

My parents owned the "SNF" soundtrack album, back in the day. This was, by far, my favorite cut on the album. She had a very sexy voice, which managed to get through to me at age 8. (although, like Woody Allen, I don't think I ever had a latency period...)

My Mom was a big fan of Jesus Christ Superstar back in the day. I don't know how she found out about it so early, but if I remember correctly, she saw the original touring "concert" version of the show, back so early that it was unstaged -- just the music in concert. I think she had the concept albums before it was on Broadway. I remember her telling me the concert was a loud as a rock concert, and that she had he fingers in her ears just so she could "hear" the music and lyrics better. She would have been in her mid-30's in 1971, so she was a good decade older than most of the rest of the audience (she said it was mostly late-teens and 20-somethings that were there).

Somewhere I sill have the original printed program that she got at that concert. It looked similar to the graphics of the concept album (the one with the brown cover). I think she probably heard most of the same performers as were on the concept albums (the program might confirm that).

Evita is (I think) Andrew Lloyd Webber's one other 'most significant' work. Some of his others are fun, particularly "Cats" (if you like cats), but I think the only ones that will really stand the test of time are Jesus Christ Superstar, and Evita. Evita was the very first 'musical' I ever remember seeing as a kid - probably when I was only 10 or 11 years old (around 1980).

Edited by Rooster_Ties