AOTW, 15th - 21st July

The Rep

After being blasted for choosing a classic Blue Note recording the last time I suggested an AOTW, I thought I would go for something more up to date, the album by Enrico Rava called Easy Living. This album marked the return to the ECM label for Rava, after a seventeen year gap. All the compositions except the title track are by Enrico and just full of wonderful ideas as are his solos. His very sound and also the melodies are so visual and his improvisation is startling and only helped by his marvellous tone. The musicians on this fantastic album certainly play an impressive part in this real treasure trove of jazz. Piano by Stefano Bollani who shows here he must become more recognised on the world stage. Drums by Roberto Gatto who does the right thing at all times. Gianiuca Petrella on Trombone who seems to be able to think the same thoughts (musically) as Enrico and create brand new sounds.

The tracks are,

Cromosomi 8.25, Drops 2.29, Sand 9.17, Easy Living 4.14, Algir Dalbughi 6.36, Blancasnow 2.35, Travelling Night 7.12, Hornette And The Drum Thing 7.10, Rain 6.46,

Released 2004 and after three years of playing, its appael has not deminished but enhanced my love of this album.

post-1762-1184411592.jpg

Guest donald petersen

g_d i don't buy newly recorded music but since we are discussing rava on ECM i will say i am surprised but i like "the plot" more than "the pilgrim and the star" by the sam e 4-tet. the pilgrim one is considered the classic but i think the followup might be better!

• 3 weeks later...

g_d he is aging well. he looks very distinguished now. very dignified.

Alex von Schlippenbach looks like a European soap star these days.

True... and often he plays the piano as cultivated as you'd expect from a soap star...

But criticisms aside, I quite like Rava's quintet, but I don't have the ECM disc - rather plenty of live concert recordings. It's not essential music in any way, but it's a pleasure to listen to, highly enjoyable, with Rava in good voice and no need to show off, rather just enjoying himself playing with a fine young band (Bollani stands out, but often he's replaced by Pozza, another fine pianist... I guess Bollani is too big now himself).

The quartet album on ECM with Rudd and "Duo en noir" would be my favourite Rava discs, but then I don't even have his other, most famous ECM album yet...

• 4 weeks later...