Impressed Re-pressed

king ubu

Hope this is just a temporary unavailability and not another 'Boom Jackie Boom Chick' moment. Very strange indeed that the details and sound samples have been yanked completely from 'Ye Olde Trunk-Shoppe'.

Fabulous album by the way. :tup

Must try not to get totally paranoid on the Mike Taylor front but I also noticed that Sunbeam Records don't seem to have the 'Pendulum' CD reissue listed on their site any longer or in the shop. Might be a good time to pick this one - instead of taking a gample on Universal UK issuing it (or not, as the case may be - possibly a forthcoming Universal issue might be the reason that Sunbeam's version is going AWOL?). I'm not sure I'd put a bet on Universal coming good so time to pick up 'Pendulum' perhaps.

The Mike Taylor LP is pretty good. Well short of unmissable but well worth hearing. I'm not fabulously impressed with the sound of the vinyl, ( it's ok but...)...it sounds rather flat, my guess is that the LP has been mastered from a digital source.

• 3 years later...

Impressed 3 ... not gonna happen? please baby please.

Just spotted this on the OiR blog. Unfortunately I have never heard any of the music listed here.

from a commentor:

Hi, I tried to get Windmill Tilter reissued years ago as part of the Impressed Re-pressed series (I helped compile the Impressed comps with Gilles P). Manged to get a first batch of reissues out (Mike Taylor, Neil Ardely, Amancio D'Silva etc..) but Universal, as ever lost faith, let it all slip iaway to labels like BGO and Vocalion. Had a killer hitlist of all the Lansdowne stuff - Rendell Carr, Hum Dono etc... they couldn't care less. Treat their catalogue - and music fans - with contempt. Impressed 3 has been ready to go for about 6 years - and Universal??? What do you think, not awhiff of interest. Shame, as it has top stuff from Dick Morrissey, Kenny Wheeler, Quincicasm, Don Rendell etc on it. Don even wrote an introductory piece for my notes... maybe you could post it on here!!

Track Listing:

Collin Bates Trio - Brew

London Jazz Four - Song For Hilary

Tubby Hayes Quartet - Finky Minky

Don Rendell - Euphrates

Vic Lewis - Last Minute Bossa Nova

Kenny Wheeler - Don the Dreamer

Ralph Dollimore - Spikey

Dick Morrissey - Sunday Lunch

Quincicasm - Trent Park Song

Ronnie Stephenson / Kenny Clarke - Caravan

Johnny Hawksworth feat. Hampton Hawes - Jazz Rule

Dick Morrissey - Storm Warning

Sleeve Notes:

I knew and played with many of the musicians on this album. The jazz scene in those years seemed very sure of itself and was moving progressively forward into new creative areas almost day by day. Through my resolve to be a jazz musician, I left the touring big bands I played with - Oscar Rabin, Ted Heath, Cyril Stapleton - and, in 1950, became a founder member of the Johnny Dankworth Seven. Back then, on a gig at a club in Acton, the sound from a young tenor player in the interval group caused us to return from the bar to hear him. That was our first introduction to Tubby Hayes, who, in an all too short career, achieved international acclaim. A second tenor saxophonist featured on this album is Dick Morrissey. He also maintained a consistent level of creative improvisation in his playing and gained worldwide recognition. Sadly, both of these musicians have long left us - but for sure you can hear their music living on through these and many other recordings. Sometime around 1953, I left the Johnny Dankworth Seven and formed a small group with Ronnie Ross (baritone), Damien Robinson (piano), Don Lawson (drums) and, for a few weeks, a new arrival from Canada - Kenny Wheeler. A few years later Kenny appeared on an album I made for Denis Preston's Pye Nixa label. His contribution to this compilation is 'Don the Dreamer', a title relating to his musical interpretation of Don Quixote's fanciful exploits. Pianist/composer Ralph Dollimore was everywhere on the London Jazz scene. I recall a recording session with him, put together by Mike Nevard of the Melody Maker, that introduced us to the Belgian pianist and band-leader Francy Boland. That session also included Jimmy Skidmore, Phil Seaman, Keith Christie, Jimmy Deuchar, Jo Hunter, Allan Ganley and Dill Jones. Vic Lewis led a big band in those years. A much more jazz oriented group than most, he recognised the genius of the Stan Kenton Orchestra and this was reflected in Vic's charts for his own band. In 1956 I was deputising, together with Harry Klein (baritone), on Kenton's European tour. Vic Lewis came to the Paris concerts and was suddenly also a dep - filling in for a trombone player who, as Ronnie Scott used to say, 'was suddenly taken drunk.'Three other outstanding British jazz musicians playing in different groups on this compilation are Peter King (alto), Stan Tracey (piano) and Harry South (piano). My own track 'Euphrates' is an original piece in 3/4 that relates to the floating feeling of a river - sometimes calm, then strong winds raise the waves and then it subsides again. It was recorded in a Manchester record store, the Avgarde Gallery, in 1973. However, none of us knew this at the time, so it is a genuinely 'live' piece With excellent piano from Joe Palin, Ian Taylor on bass and Gordon Beckett on drums. A further fact is that none of the Joe Palin Trio had heard of or seen a chart of 'Euphrates' until that moment - it was true instant jazz improvisation. Ten years later Tony Williams from Spotlite Records got hold of the 'unknown' recording and released the LP 'Live at the Avgarde Gallery'. In conclusion I sincerely commend Tony Higgins & Gilles Peterson for making this and the previous two volumes of Impressed available so a younger generation can hear home grown jazz in progress. Don Rendell, London, March 2007

I have purposefully left off any links.

Unfortunately, reading the comments in the quote, it seems that Universal dropped the ball and hasn't picked it up since 2004.

I don't think you're allowed to provide links here but if you visit the aforementioned Orgy in Rhythm site you will find that the full

Impressed 3 set has been contributed by Tony Higgins. A fantastic contribution and one that shows that blogland can sometimes make

up for the deficiencies of the labels.

Unfortunately, reading the comments in the quote, it seems that Universal dropped the ball and hasn't picked it up since 2004.

I don't think you're allowed to provide links here but if you visit the aforementioned Orgy in Rhythm site you will find that the full

Impressed 3 set has been contributed by Tony Higgins. A fantastic contribution and one that shows that blogland can sometimes make

up for the deficiencies of the labels.

Wow - thanks for the tip. I've not heard any material from Colin Bates 'Brew' before and quite a few of the tracks are new to me. A great compilation - and I notice that Tony H. has put together 16 pages of his customary infomative and 100% value-added sleeve notes. I'm going to bind them in covers :) . Fabulous and stupendous ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Really been diggin' this disk today. There are some real obscurities on there. 'Quincicasm' with fine Dick Pearce on trumpet - released by Saydisc and apparently less than 200 copies on LP. Never even heard of that one - and fine it is too. And acording to Tony H's notes one of the main protagonists subsequently had a 1970s pop hit with The Flying Lizards and 'Money'. Who would-have known it? :D . Ringer of the collection for me (in addition to the A-1 grade Wheeler and Dick Morrissey) must be that Johnny Hawksworth/Hampton Hawes from 'Anglo American Jazz Phase 1' on Music deWolfe and featuring the superb Peter King. Awesome ! (now where on Earth do I find a copy of that one? :wacko: )

Edited by sidewinder

mexican green is very good. i have it and i love it. as i remember, there were the two impressed compilations by gilles peterson and then a series of reissues of british jazz which he endorsed. i can't tell you the whole list but i think they were a bit on the free side. or at least a part of them, because mexican green is not. apart from the echoes of the title, which i like a lot, the album is a gem.

and it's good news that the albums will be available again. i think they're not otherwise.

the hum dono would be good. its with this strange indian from bombay da silva on it. the name sounds like from goa. i have it digitally, though i would prefer the cd issue. and i endorse the compilation recommendations. i have #2 and i listened to it a lot some years back.

Edited by Bluesnik

Really been diggin' this disk today. There are some real obscurities on there. 'Quincicasm' with fine Dick Pearce on trumpet - released by Saydisc and apparently less than 200 copies on LP. Never even heard of that one - and fine it is too. And according to Tony H's notes one of the main protagonists subsequently had a 1970s pop hit with The Flying Lizards and 'Money'. Who would-have known it? :D . Ringer of the collection for me (in addition to the A-1 grade Wheeler and Dick Morrissey) must be that Johnny Hawksworth/Hampton Hawes from 'Anglo American Jazz Phase 1' on Music deWolfe and featuring the superb Peter King. Awesome ! (now where on Earth do I find a copy of that one? :wacko: )

me too ... I do hope this sees the light of a real issue.

The two Dick Morrisey Quartet cuts are snappin' right up that Impressed alley. I had heard the name here and there but never had sampled anything under his own lead. Fantastic.

the hum dono would be good. its with this strange indian from bombay da silva on it. the name sounds like from goa. i have it digitally, though i would prefer the cd issue. and i endorse the compilation recommendations. i have #2 and i listened to it a lot some years back.

The late Amancio D'Silva did originally come from Goa I believe, before he emigrated to the UK.

The two Dick Morrisey Quartet cuts are snappin' right up that Impressed alley. I had heard the name here and there but never had sampled anything under his own lead. Fantastic.

Agreed. They are fantastic - and I now want me a copy of 'Storm Warning' (without causing a run on the £) :w

Edited by sidewinder