William Parker: Who Owns Music?

Has anyone seen Parker's new book of 'political thoughts, musicological essays and poems'?

Who Owns Music?

(A question Buddy's Knife might ask themselves is 'who owns the copyright to some of the photos that we are using on our site?')

I have the book as well as their new one by Henry Grimes. I have a handful of images in the Grimes book which I did grant permission to use. I have nothing in the Parker book. I've had many conversations with the publishers as well with no issues.

m~

So what's the book itself like, Sheldonm?

Henry's is a book of poetry reflecting on his thoughts over a long period of time including the time he was off the music scene. It was supposed to include some of his drawings as well but for some reason they were not included. I am not a poet....and I know it.......... but as I've had a chance to spend a little time with Henry over the past couple years, I think it's quite interesting.

I did not pick up the Parker book but the publisher sent me a copy even thought I did not contribute to it. I have not read this one yet...only paged through it a bit but it appears to be interesting as it's William's take on music, the players, the industry and so on. Hope to read it in the next week.

m~

I would question the definitive characterization of Bolden's music as "dirty" - possible, but who knows - Louis Armstrong, for example, said that Miles Davis's playing reminded him of Bolden -

I think the connotation of "dirty" as it is used here is not so much "sexual," though that's part of it, but more how "dirty" is to "jazz" what "legit" is to "classical." Dirty meaning not taking the notes on the page literally, adding "rude" sounds (as a friend's put it) and not playing "strict" time.

yes, I understand that - however, there is a real N.O. tradition of sweet,melodic playing, a whole different aesthetic from the gutbucket sound (see Pops Foster's bio for some discussion of this). I'm thinking of the way that Bunk Johnson sounded on his comeback, also about Kid Ory's 1921 recordings; so I was struck by Armstrong's comment, because Miles was, of course, such a lyrical player - so I question the assumption about Bolden's playing.

Edited by AllenLowe