Stuff Reissues

jazzbo

I haven't seen mention of this yet, so I'd like to mention three new reissues of albums by the band Stuff.

Wounded Bird has released "Stuff" and "Stuff It". . . .

Collectables just put out a cd containing both "Live in New York" and "More Stuff."

'Bout flippin' time.

Guest donald petersen

another bad joke! but i respect your opinion.

maybe i will give them another chance but the steve gadd/chris parker combo definitely didn't make my heart race...

For me it's the guitars, the bass and Richard Tee more than anything. And my heart doesn't race, it's about the groove and the fun of creating the sound. . . .!

By the way, wasn't using that final "stuff" as a joke. . . . Just using it as slang for material. (I think the group name is a possibly badly joke on the fact that "jazz" can mean "stuff.")

You really had to hear this band live - their records don't do them justice, although I DO like the records.

Live, espescially prior to the release of their first lp, the repetoire would include classic and (then) current R&B tunes, and singers would VERY often sit in. Joe Cocker for one. They were at Mikell's 5 nights a week for years. It was a small bar and you could get up close and watch the action. Espescially when they first started there and it wasn't AS packed.

To me it was an R&B band, but with a jazz attitude. They improvised and burned. The grooves were intense.

BTW, Cornell used to call Gordon Stuff. I think the band name came from that. Stuff was a common greeting back then. As in

"Hey Stuff, what's happenin'?"

Edited by Harold_Z

That's interesting. . . I don't find them stiff on records, but I do find them a whole different thing (intentionally is my gutfeeling) from JBs, Meters, MGs. . . . And vive la difference, I like that difference!

Yeah...I see Stuff as a different thing from those bands also.

I love all those bands, but I think the musicians in Stuff were individually capable of playing in a wider range of styles than any of the guys in the other bands mentioned. A couple of exceptions being Fred Wesley and Al Jackson. I think the other guys were all firmly rooted in Funk and R&B and played the hell out of that music, but were pretty much stylistically only in that bag. The guys in Stuff were doing a lot of record dates, mostly as individuals, not as the Stuff band. They were first call for a lot of recordings and could function well in a lot of different settings. IMHO, the weakness of their recordings is some of the material (they recorded originals to get songwriter royalties) and they had a tendency to revert to "laying down the track" to the extent that there was a great groove happening but the missing element was the singer or horn player that wasn't there. That didn't faze them - they were used to laying down the track without a vocalist present. It's what they did for a living.

You know, call me a little crazy (wouldn't be the first time) but I sort of equate Stuff to thirties and forties Basie-ite small group stuff. . . I react emotionally to them in a similar fashion, and I think that their groove and feel is sort of a rock/soul similar one to that Basie feel and groove.

Okay. .. little crazy. :)

Got to disagree with you Jazzbo - the band's recordings weren't nearly as good as the band was, on paper. I've got 3 - "Stuff", "More Stuff" and "Stuff it". They have their moments but if you want to hear REAL STUFF then check out Cornell Dupree's "Teasin'", which is slightly earlier than Stuff. Compare Dupree's version of "How long will it last" on that LP with the version on "Stuff".

Also compare Cornell's own albums "Can't get through", "Uncle Funky", "Child's play" and "Bop 'n blues". Cornell is the most profoundly KOOL person on earth!

Never saw Stuff live. I can believe they would have torn the place down. But it didn't happen in the studio, for me.

MG

Well I like the live lps best. In Tokyo, In New York. And an unofficial one I have courtesy of a fellow Stuff fan here on the board. I like the studio lps as party favorites of the past, I have a lot of sentimentality tied up in them, can't really remove that from my opinion of them probably.

(Hey but what do I know, I'm silly enough to get myself banned from AAJ by Xricci the insecure).

I have had and may still have a few of those Dupree albums, and I've seen Dupre play live here in Texas. . . He's very KOOL but I'm also an Eric Gale fan, and I like them both together. (And sue me, but I like Richard Tee too!)

The closest I came to live Stuff was being dragged to a Paul Simon concert in 1980 with a girlfriend. Close. . . no cigar.

Edited by jazzbo

I agree that they were much better "live" (but who isn't?) - it was no big deal to go to the upper west side and catch them for the price of a beer. The "New Yorker" listing called them the Gordon Edwards Quintet. Lots of sitting in. One night Bernard Purdie was in for the night.

I agree that they were much better "live" (but who isn't?) - it was no big deal to go to the upper west side and catch them for the price of a beer. The "New Yorker" listing called them the Gordon Edwards Quintet. Lots of sitting in. One night Bernard Purdie was in for the night.

Yeah. Also for awhile they were "Gordon Edwards' Encyclopedia of Soul."

When Cornell's "Teasin'" was released they played the Bottom Line. It was Cornell, Gordon, Tee and Purdie. The first lineup I saw at Mikell's was Gordon, Cornell, Tee, and Charlie Brown on tenor. Can't exactly remember the drummer, but I think it was Herschel Dwellingham. That had to be in '71 or '72.

I've always liked Carla Bley's Dinner Music - Bley, Rudd, Mantler, Carlos Ward, Bob Stewart + Stuff - good pop music.

I met Richard Tee some years ago. He was mailing something at the post office where I worked. He came across an open, friendly guy - seemed pleased that someone recognized him, or at least his name.