Simon Schama's "Power of Art"

Simon Schama's "Power of Art" on PBS, originally on BBC.

Presenter Simon Schama introduces his choice of artists and artworks from the TV series and tells us why art matters.

8 artists, 8 stories, 8 masterpieces:

• Caravaggio
    Rembrandt
    Van Gogh
    Picasso
    Turner
    Bernini
    David
    Rothko

I know very little about most of these artists, and have only caught two episodes (Turner and Rothko). Those episodes were both very interesting and enlightening, and accomplished what I would presume to be one of their goals: I would really like to see these works in person.

Looks like the (PBS) broadcast run may be ending soon... I'm hoping the entire series will be available on DVD eventually.

Anybody else a fan?

I saw a few when they aired on the BBC. In fact, they have been out as DVDs in the UK for several months. I think they are coming out here fairly soon, since he was on Colbert promoting the show, which usually means there will be a DVD out soon.

I liked the Picasso and Van Gogh episodes. I wasn't as crazy about the Rothko show. In fact, I imagine they did Rothko and not Jackson Pollack because of the Rothko room in the Tate Modern.

Actually, if you are interested in art, you might be as interested in people faking art. I finally watched Welles' F for Fake (from Criterion) and it was pretty cool.

I just saw the Rothko episode last night and, despite a healthy skepticism, found it quite interesting.

I found that Rothko episode fascinating. A couple of years before I had walked past that very place on the Bowery (next to the humongous kitchen appliance place I think) which he rented and something made me stop and have a look at the place - no particular reason at the time and I had no idea whatsoever of its significance. Very odd - I was just 'en route' to the Downtown Music Gallery.