Mulligan, Patton, Chambers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to find fault with this music on any level. It's long been some of my favorite large ensemble music. The arrangements are great, not dated at all to my ears. The live version of "All About Rosie" is outstanding, some really advanced contrapuntal writing. There are some insprired solos- the exchange between Clark and Gerry on "Blueport" where they get into a quote-fest is one of my favorite moments. And how can it not swing with Mel Lewis at the helm? It's smart and it's fun. I'll be very surprised if anyone who hasn't heard this yet is disappointed.

Uh.....so, Moose, you're saying the guy who gave it one star has a point by saying the 5 star guy should hold off until the set is released? I haven't heard the Mosaic set yet, but I've heard most of what's going to be on it and based on that alone feel confident in giving it a high rating RIGHT NOW! I guess that's more of a recommendation than a review- I guess they could totally screw up the sound, but I doubt that'll happen. The other guy's one star rating seems to be directed more towards the 5 star guy than the music itself. He is rating the other review, which doesn't help matters much either. None of this is worth getting excited about (since your original comment was offered with green smilie which indicates "humorous intent"), I just feel compelled to respond to any post that begins with "Uh........" ! :)

The problem with the one star review is that it will forever drag down the average review of this set. Both these reviews should be removed from the site.

I completely agree, John; I hope they don't feel that it would be unethical to do so, because I certainly don't.

Uh...Free For All (notice it didn't begin the post!), as you assume, I really wasn't taking it that seriously. I just thought it was amusing. :)

I picked up my Chambers Select at the post office this am. Absolutely a wonderful set, from what I've heard so far (disc 3 and most of disc 2). For those of you on the fence, disc 3 alone is worth the price of the entire set. Said disc has the BASS ON TOP session (which is sublime, BTW) and the two duet cuts with Blakey. Score another winner for Mosaic!

Wow, some of you guys are hard to please :huh: . I just got mine today and am thrilled to have this collection- my first Mosaic was the Thad/Mel and I remember thinking back then what a great Mosaic the Mulligan would make.

I've always heard this group referred to as the "Concert Jazz Band". I think that was Mulligan's choice to make it clear that it this was a creative composers' group, not a commercial dance band. I wonder why the Mosaic refers to this as just the "Concert Band". Splitting hairs, I know- just wondering.

I have listened to most of the Mulligan set and I Love It!!!! I am familiar with a lot of this great music, but its wonderful to have it all collected together and I think that the sound is fabulous. The booklet is interesting and informative and well written. You guys can take that one star and save it for the top of your Christmas tree, this is a FIVE STAR efforts as far as I am concerned! As my health improves, I will try to check in here more often, thank you. This current batch of Mosaic releases is good medicine. Better start cashing in those old pop bottles for that Eldridge set that sounds tasty as well!! :)

My order arrived today. I got the Mulligan (#99/7500), the Chambers (#492), and what should have been the Patton - but got a Bennie Green instead (already have it) :(

I called Mosaic right away and they were very apologetic and said they would immediately ship the Patton and send retun postage for the duplicate Green. I was a little disappointed. Until now I've had a perfect record with Mosaic. I'm happy with how they responded though. :tup

Of course with the Chambers and Mulligan sets I'll have more than enough music to hold me over for the replacement Patton to arrive.

I'm listening to the Chambers right now and it's got some great material I'm hearing for the first time.