BFT 50 - Discussion

marcoliv

i know the first track of disc 1 - but i aint telling!

;)

Yeah, I know the tune and the flute player. Not sure about the others, though I have couple in mind. The recording? I have now idea. Not sure now, if it was the pianist or the trumpeter who wrote the tune

Marcus, I enjoyed playing your selection, but much of it is on the light side for my taste - hence several of my comments are rather cool, or downright negative... I tried to be kind, and it's never meant in a personal way, of course! Taste is a tough thing to discuss, and it's good that different people have different taste, of course!

Anway, here are my thoughts from a first spin (took place a week or even two ago):

#1 "Nardis" - one of the Miles tunes he likely didn't write (guess Bill Evans did). Flute is ok but not my favourite sound on the instrument... good groove going on here! Pretty nice, all together, but the vibrato on the flute bugs me a bit...

#2 "Duke's Place" - nice tune, but not a performance that had anything particularly striking in it... one of the big mainstream chaps? OP? No clue, really...

#3 This starts nicely, moody yet funky in a sparse way... maybe a bit mannered at spots? Nice one, piano gets much less mannered after the bass solo.

#4 More latin vibes... including doorbells, too, oh, and portuguese singing... hm... doesn't do much for me, sorry, too short, too soft.

#5 Sounds slightly like a Golson tune. Great drummer! Tenor solo makes reference to a solo of Booger's on his "Booker 'n Brass" Pacific album, it seems. Nice old-school stuff - Lovano? Long time no listen, possibly the last cut from this one?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:f9fpxqrkldse

Hm, no, it's all tenor... drummer is best here, I think - not too involving, otherwise.

#6 One of the songs from "Orfeu Negro" - sentimental kitschy film, but the ending in that huge office building is terrific! And the songs are beautiful! Don't think I ever heard this (it's "Manha da Carnaval", right?) done as a solo piano piece. Not bad...

#7 "I Didn't Know What Time It Was"... nice and sweet, but again not really movinge me, sorry... not sure the strings add anything to the piano.

#8 More flute and more latin grooves... contemporary/hip stuff, nice for background listening I'd say, but not really my cup of tea...

#9 What's this, Wes Montgomery inspired? Not bad!

#10 More old-fashioned stuff again... tenor is ok, again they're playing older stuff than they are - seems to me most of the music so far has been fairly new (at least nothing from the 50s and 60s?). Trumpet I like better than tenor, but it's all a bit too... effortless? It has that typical contemporary modernized mainstream vibe I don't really like much (think... whom should I name? Potter, Rosenwinkel, the whole Criss Cross stuff... some of Lovano's stuff, too...

#11 Sounds like some Horace Silver, ah hell no, what's this? I think I should know this! After the first few bars I can already tell this is my favourite so far, the groove just is tight and things come together! Funky, simple, down to earth playing here... good one! I guess it could be a late 60s or later Horace Silver band, but the drummer at some times hits it hard like Art Blakey... could be a Messengers edition from after the time I know their stuff (ending around the time of "Free For All" so far, excluding a few live shows...)

#12 Nice one, a bit on the sweet/light side, but not bad...

#13 This starts out good with that slow groove! Like this one a lot!

#14 Hm, nice... what's this "Pannonica"? Very nice! Great how the cello and bass clarinet sound together

#15 & #16 not my cup of tea... more easy listening stuff, to my ears - sorry!

#17 Pretty good tenor here! Memories of the very few things I've heard from Joe Henderson's 70s output...

#18 Nice one, lyrical piano trio jazz, good bowed bass solo... yes, good one!

#19 Weird somewhat closed sound on tenor, but this is nice. The latin rhythms fit well with the song, piano is nice, too. Don't like the bass solo a lot, though...

#20 Hm, alto sounds familiar... Kenny Garrett maybe? Just sort of goes on without much eventful happening here...

#21 Just sort of continues going on and on... nice though.

#22 That's an old standard... can't recall it's title, though... ah, wait, it's a Cole Porter tune? Nice one!

#23 A nice one to lead things out... sounds very familiar. What's this again? Some Dexter in here...

Hey Ubu,

i enjoyed your comments even if i don't have the discs here with me at the office to follow your thoughts. will do this later at home

i knew my selections weren't supposed to change anyone's life :D

as i'm having piano lessons in the last 18 months it's very clear on this BFT that i'm paying lots of attention to piano players.

these are songs that definitely captured my attention since my first listening so i'll try to share these feelings when answers will be revealed

i'll get back to your comments about the music later

many many thanks for sharing your thoughts

MCO

Edited by marcoliv

Aha!! So here we go!

BFT 50 DISC 1

Well, here we go…

1 Interesting start – sounds very Coltranesque that bass player. And the pianist’s backing, when he comes in, is very Tynerish. Don’t recognise the flute player. But the piano solo doesn’t sound to me like Tyner – it’s got more of a Cedar Walton feel about the way it grooves. Oh, when he goes into straight fours, out comes the Tyner feel. Back to the flute player now. I rather like this guy; he’s got a very full sound – and a groove. As his solo goes on, I’m reminded a bit of Rahsaan, but probably as an influence, not that it’s him. The name Charles Lloyd springs to mind; I used to have an album of his back in the sixties – can’t really remember it, though. Switch off during the drum solo. The track is a bit too long, for me, really.

2 “C jam blues” by a piano trio. Very fresh sounding; very enjoyable. Bass solo was just a little bit too long, I think. But this is a very nice cut.

3 I started off not liking this but, by the time he hit the third chorus, I was in there. I keep nearly recognising the tune – but he keeps on ending choruses with the last line of “It ain’t necessarily so”, which confuses me, ‘cos I don’t think that’s the song. An occasional bit of cutesiness creeps in from time to time; not sure why he’s doing that. I get a distinct Junior Mance feeling about the left hand – but definitely not the right hand – so, I don’t know who it is. But I like this track a lot.

4 A Brazilian singer? Or someone singing a Brazilian song? The impression I get of Brazilian singers (not that I’ve heard many) is that they are a lot more detached and low key than this singer. I suspect this is imitation Brazil. But thinking about where you’re at, Marco, maybe it really isn’t imitation…

5 Two saxes with rhythm… and a tune with a Mancini feel to it. If I’m in the mood, I could really quite get with this showboating tenor solo. But I’m finding it annoying at present. I like the alto player a good bit more; maybe he’s lucky enough to come after the tenorman. So now it’s just the drummer who’s annoying. Maybe it’s the drummer who’s the problem. Or maybe it’s just me.

6 Oh, I know this tune! What’s the effin’ title? Ah, “Blue bossa”? (Gets out Joe Henderson LP – yes, “Blue bossa”) Back to the BFT. It’s a tune that probably CAN’T be played badly and isn’t this time, either. Though I’d rather hear it with a rhythm section.

7 Strings and piano. “I didn’t know what time it was”. Can’t say I’m really with this. It’s OK. If I were in a bar with a beautiful bird, I could probably have a very good time not listening to it.

8 This is too long for a 78, so the intro is a fake. But the rhythm is nice. The tune is nice. And the band is nice. And the feeling is nice. The whole thing is put together so pleasingly, I really can’t be bothered about analysis!

9 Orhan Demir. I recognise the tune but can’t place it. Haven’t got the album it comes off. Funny, I was going to put one of his tracks on my BFT (the non-organ part). Great technician! And great enthusiasm!

10 Fairly routine hard bop cut. By a rather mellower follower of Jackie McLean, I’d guess. I’m not sufficiently moved to be terribly interested in who it is – or the trumpet player. Or the pianist. Sorry.

11 I think I know this. Is it “Step lightly”? No. Oh well. So, it’s live. I’m still getting a Duke Pearson/Blue Mitchell feeling off it, though that doesn’t seem likely. But the groove!!! And I don’t think it’s Pearson on the piano. Don’t think he would have played so fuckin’ hard! And it ain’t Blue, either. Unless Blue played a lot more forcefully live than in the studio. Now an alto solo. A wailing alto solo. Got to be Spaulding! Well, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it could be Horace Silver live.

A pretty varied set of cuts, Marco. Thanks.

MG

BFT 50 DISC 2

1 Interesting piano trio number. I’m getting a Harold Mabern feeling about it, though it’s not a recording I know. Very nice indeed!

2 Another interesting piano trio. I can stand a LOT of this. The tune starts off sounding like it should be a slow version of “Tin tin deo”, then goes off into something else – something rather gospel cadenced. I’d like this to be Norman Simmons, but that would be too much to ask for. The little quote from “Eleanor Rigby” towards the end comes over charmingly.

3 Another piano trio, I guess, though one in which the bass player has a more than usual shout. I know the tune but – ah, here comes a clarinet – hey! It’s not a piano trio! The tune reminds me of “A certain kind of someone” but the way it’s played makes it difficult for me to recognise. I don’t know many modern clarinet players. And don’t recognise the other musicians. I didn’t really like this much; too messy, I thought.

4 A bossa nova I think I recognise. Very nice and cool and laid back. This sounds like something I want to buy quite a lot. Oh, I can’t wait to find out what this is! It just keeps getting better and better as the music goes on. I feel I should know both the trumpet player and the alto player. Booful!

5 Into the funk – or really, the pseudo-funk. But it’s attractive all right. Ah – the percussion seems to indicate south of the borderness. So it probably isn’t pseudo at all. Out of my depth here. I did like that, though.

6 Really groovin’ rhythm section. Lightly dirty tenor player. This is, all in all, working out to be a damn fine BFT disc, Marco! That drum solo is really keeping that groove goin’! Zowie! Oh and when the sax player comes back, he’s not lightly dirty; he’s heavily greased! But could you be anything else, I wonder, with that rhythm behind you? Would it be possible that the drummer is the leader of this band? It’s just a trio, I notice after all this time. Something else I’m dying to find out about. Terrific!

7 Portentous start a la Rachmaninoff (I dig him on and off, as Louis Armstrong said). But so does this pianist, because he’s gone off into something else. There are bits of this tune I think I recognise, then it drifts off. Don’t know who the pianist is. Don’t think I care, either. The drummer certainly has some funny sounding drums. I quit after five minutes.

8 Boring, pretentious, intro, but it picks up after a minute and a half. There’s a vaguely South African sound to the alto player, but not marked. And the pianist doesn’t have any SA markings at all. Can’t say I’m finding this very entertaining.

9 I’m not getting much out of this one, either, I’m afraid. Going straight over my head.

10 Sounds like the same pianist as on #9. Nuff sed.

11 “Get out of town” – a decent, if uninspiring, version. Rather too long, I feel.

12 A Latin groove. Attractive, but it isn’t making me feel anything. Sorry. The alto player’s doing all the right stuff, but it isn’t getting to me. Maybe it’s because of the last few tracks.

But I DID like the first half!

MG

A lot of needle drops here, & the amount of static suggests some much-loved vinyl. I love the sound of vinyl, but as you'll see I couldn't take some of the more staticky tracks.

Disc 1.

1: Hm, the question about this one (once the overblowing starts) is whether this is Rahsaan or simply someone influenced by him. I find this too smooth & mainstream to be Rahsaan, & the choice of tune ("Nardis") is not one I'd associate with him either, but then I don't know his 1970s work that well; maybe he's guesting? Anyway, it's an excellent track, & makes me wonder what the rest of the album's like.

2: C-jamming away, though it ain't Duke. Solid if rather glib piano work, prone to drive a lick home in Oscar Peterson fashion (i.e. obviously). A moment that made me think of Jerry Lee Lewis! I liked this track though the pianist would grate over album length.

3: Jessica Williams, unmistakably--one of the more immediately identifiable mainstream pianists from her distinctive phrasing, accenting & time feel, which always seem to be pushing you ahead a little too quickly. Pity about the truly terrible LP static, which is so thick I find it hard to judge the track--it manages to totally obscure or distort all 3 musicians at points. From what I can make out it seems like a solid track though I can't say it strikes me as anything out of the ordinary for Jessica. She does sometimes get baffling fancies, & the extreme opposition of smoothed-out left & prickly right hand here is a bit irritating--fortunately she eventually drops it. No idea who's in the rhythm section.

4: Sorry, too distorted to enjoy this, even when it's this short.

5: Sorry, WAY too distorted to stand listening to 12 minutes of this. Skipped to the next track after a minute.

6: "Blue Bossa", with a pianist who really needs a better sense of time to pull off a solo piano version of this. Pass.

7: "I Didn't Know What Time It Was". Loose at the seams, both in how the strings mesh with the trio, & also the trio itself, esp. the double-time with the piano where he/she isn't with the rhythm section. No.

8: Nice to hear some PHONY static for once..... S'OK, can't think of much to say. I liked some touches in the arrangement, like the little goosing sounds just before the restatement of the head at the end--are they percussion? Piano solo doesn't do much for me.

9: "Love for Sale" changes, no idea who the guitarist is, but man he/she's got some chops. Straightforward heat all the way, & I like it--no flab in the solo despite the insane pace of it, & it swings. Excellent pianist too (pity there's yet another gap/skip in the middle of his solo).

10: Rather slavishly Blue Noteish, with a Shorter-style tenor. I'm pretty sure it ain't Wayne & if so this guy should be paying him royalties for all the licks & turns of phrase he's stolen. I don't think these are older guys, just young guys who've spent way too much time spinning Speak No Evil.

11: Messengersish stuff, though it's surely not the real thing given the prosaic drumming. I've always hated this style of piledriving-triplet piano, but YMMV. Cutesy trumpet may well be Marsalis. Alto sounds familiar, maybe John Handy. The last phrase has an octave jump of the kind that Bobby Watson favoured, in which case of course this IS a Messengers date from circa 1979 (an era I don't really know). I sincerely hope not, as the drumming seems blah for Blakey.

Disc 2.

A lot of problems with gaps here--I don't think it's just my copy as I actually got two copies & both were defective! -- I should confess that while there are tracks that strike me as OK on this volume, mostly I really didn't like the stuff on this disc; in fact the only track I thought was especially good was the first one.

1: Solid piano trio track, presumably not too old despite being on vinyl. Tuneful but not too sweet.

2: Low-key, longwinded piano trio, with the long coda a particular thumb-twiddler. It's not bad, but it's not got anything that makes it stand out either.

3: "Ask Me Now" with a bassist whose arco technique leaves something to be desired & who nonetheless insists on using it A LOT. Pianist is a little too conventionally lush on this tune for my tastes, but is the player I find most appealing.

4: After all that build-up with the fancy guitarwork & the wordless vocals we get..... some tinny sub-Miles musings. Feh. The alto player has little to say but isn't as actively annoying as the trumpeter, at least.

5: Grating 1970s fusion, overlong at just 2 minutes. A prominent role for that instrument that sounds like a woman imitating a chimpanzee that always annoys me when Airto Moreira uses it.

6: A blues waltz. The initial drum solo goes a long way to nip any potential enthusiasm in the bud for me. Tenor solo is so-what... lots of off-the-peg licks.

7: Odd to hear dark Mal Waldronish mannerisms here in an otherwise florid style by a player who likes obvious effects--octaves, tremolos, &c--& repeats them over & over. I'm already tired of this guy even though I've only heard one track. The bassist is worth hearing, though, & I wonder if he/she's making a sly comment on the pianist near the end of the solo--that downwards tumble, imitating a favourite lick of the pianist.

8: The static is really terrible on this one. Skip.

9: Kenny Garrett on alto, no idea who the rest are. It's all right, but somehow never gets as hot as it promises, though the strutting coda is nice in spots.

10: Tyneresque piano trio with lots of extra percussion, no idea who this is. Basically OK, just doesn't connect with me especially, & it just goes on too long.

11: Wynton Kelly style trio doing "Get Out of Town". Suppose it could BE Kelly/Chambers/Cobb from their latterday period where they were reduced to doing "Light My Fire"...... Nah, this guy's got different pet licks. It's nice enough, though not a lot of fresh meat here.

12: A rather unsteady groove on this one, which I could perhaps tolerate if it weren't that the percussion & bass are the standouts in the mix. Pass.

Sorry to be so negative about much of this one. I suppose I'd better be ready for some potshots in the next BFT!

Edited by Nate Dorward

following your comments now Ubu listening to both discs

1) Nardis is the song of course. a very easy one to start the disc. Flute is one of my favorite instruments and when i first listened to this album i wasn't very familiar with the flute player so i was very impressed with the groove and the power of this performance. the bass introduction also captured my attention so i had the feeling that something really good was about to come. when the flute player started his solo i remembered of course about RRK and then i decided almost 2 years before this BFT to include this track.

this was also included thinking about my beloved friend Evan (Bright Moments) so this one is very special to me.

2) this performance of Duke's Place was the main reason of getting this cd. there's also another reason that i have included this track but so far no one seems to noticed why

3) i was shocked the first time that i listened to this song. i will always be thankful to Jim R for making me paying attention to this artist and since then i got every disc that i could. lots of influences from several pianists but at the end it's a very distinctive playing

4) this was included in order to pay tribute to one of the forgotten masters of brazilian music. i'm still going through all of his discs and it's a very pleasant journey so far

5) i can recall several times at work start humming this melody so i had to include this. Dan Gould is the one who introduced me this album. thanks Dan!

6) are you sure you are describing this track as being from Orfeu Negro? i'm sure is a bad typo :)

7) my favorite version of this song is from RRK's Domino album but i liked very much this performance. bass player and piano player are among my favorites so i thought this was a very delicate performance and i enjoyed the strings.

8) there is something very curious about this track but this is one of brazilian music styles known as Choro. i would like to hear Jim R talking about this song :)

9) of course it's inspired on Wes but the car can really play. i asked him once to play this on a gig an he refused saying that he was very tired at the end of the concert to do this. not that nice coming from him but i had otehr diappointments with him after the show. anyway, it's impressive how can he play so fast

10) you captured the Criss Cross atmosphere and you're right. i love this piano player

11) i always have a big smile on my face when i listen to this. had the opportunity once to share my feeling with this piano player (once again one of my favorties) and he was shocked how enthousiastic i was about this tune. of course i'm maniac about the composer so this kind of funky groove drives me crazy

12) true that is kinda light but the melody is beautiful and i like combining classical music on a jazz mood

13) one of the countries that i love most has this particular genre of music that i should explore even more. my daddy loves this song and when i was listening to this BFT after burning discs he came and asked who was playing this old tune and he enjoyed very much

14) another finding on used bins and i would probably miss this great disc forever since he is not a famous artist. Ask Me Now is one of my favorite Monk compositions and the combination of these instruments created a very sensitive rendition of this great song

15) this rendition is not superior than the original one but i enjoyed very much. the leader is not a favorite of mine but...

16) i was sure this wouldn't be very popular but if just one of you would be caught by this particular sound i would be already happy enough. this album is very important on the brazilian music history. one of the most representative artists from the Musica Preta Brasileira scenario (Brazilian Black Music)

17) another powerful introduction and i was surprised since i don't like that much this particular sax player. the leader is not on his regular scenario and i thought it would be interesting if someone will recognize him. another track that i picked for my BFT at the very first moment

18) how can someone play piano so well. i love this cat and he is constantly amazing me with his skills. an old song on a very impressive performance

19) not well recorded i know but there's a specific reason to include this one. the song is very popular and once again i would like to hear Jim R comments about this one

20 & 21) percussion plays an important role here

22) i love this paino player and i think it's an underrated one. one of the reasons to include this song and i love his improvisation. Daniel A should recognize this immediately i guess

23) Dexter's mood is in the house of course :)

thanks Ubu!!!!!

Edited by marcoliv

now i'm listening Disc 1 through MG ears :)

1) Tyner came to my mind immediately when i first heard this. i should try to get other stuff from this piano player. i don't think he is well known. the association with Rahsaan is inevitable. groove is the key sure!! i thought about editing the track but decided to keep it under its original format.

2) it's easy to imagine the bass player being the leader :) fresh is the exact feeling i had listening to this for the first time.

3) that's what i meant answering Ubu's comments. you can think about several and several players but it's a very distinctive voice. hopefully one day when i will be playing decently the piano i'll be able to play 10% of what is done on this performance :D

4) not an imitation :) he was one of the most influential artists in Brazil during the sixties.

5) LOL!! i have been always impressed on how hard this cat hit the drums. this is what attracts me to his playing. i think you should try this song a little bit more

6) i got your point and yes it's Blue Bossa. one of my favorite jazz songs ever. piano player is virtually unknown so i was curious on how would people react to his playing. i really liked what he did on this solo performance

7) as on my reply to King Ubu the piano & bass player were the reasons to include this one and i think they do somehting great after the strings are gone. you're right about the song

8) you're 100% right about the fake introduction. i would recommend their DVD to anyone. i love to dance this very close to a beautiful lady :)

9) i think you're thinking about someone who is really not there but just his spirit :)

10) "Fairly routine hard bop cut"...true but what can i do as i'm highly addicted to this :D

11) i can't remain seated when i listen to this!!!!

thanks for enjoying disc 1 MG

MCO

let's continue through the experience MG is offering me :)

Disc2

1) never had the association with Mabern which is one of my favorite piano players (ok, i have several and several favorite piano players!!) i'm glad you liked this one

2) one of the main lines of my BFT was to introduce people to some artists that i guess are virtually unknown. this cat is very special and i would encourage people to get more from him. the song is a classic standard on this genre of music

3) i'm sorry you haven't connected yourself to this performance. hopefully you will in the future since it's one of my obscure gems in my collection :) this song is so beautiful and it's on my duties to start practicing this on the piano during my vacations

4) i thought people would recognize instantly the song. i'm glad you enjoyed this. it's not bossa nova :)

5) Funk....this word gives me so much joy in life :) as i was saying to Ubu this record is a milestone in Brazil

6) thanks once again for the compliments. i'm really flattered :) you got it as the drummer is the leader!! powerful is the right word to define this one

7) you know the guy and you sure like him too :D

8) this song has been exhaustively recorded but i picked this for a sentimental reason.

9&10) they are very close sure but percussion is very important to me so i really like both of them

11) too long yes but editing a song is something that i would never do. i love his piano playing here

12) people may expect that being from Brazil my BFTs will have this atmosphere but even if this song has some Brazilian aspects this wasn't the reason to include it. i really like the theme and the sax player

thank you very much MG for sharing your ears with me :)

MCO

Nate, none of the tracks came from vinyl. if you have experienced troubles it's probably due to some kind of burning problems on the copies i did for you. i'm currently listening to my masters and they are perfect. i'll be glad to send you new copies if you want. let's wait Evan's opinion about his copies too.

1) exactly my reaction when i got this. how good can be the other tracsk from this album. i'm very pleased to have this album on my vaults :) it's not RRK by the way.

2) it's not Duke. the tricky thing here is about the piano playing

3) Jessica Williams, unmistakably. what a lovely way to start a phrase :) she is one of my major references nowadays when it comes to piano playing. i can recommend several and several albums from her own label Red&Blue available at her website. she is very friendly to deal with by the way. Jim R will always have my respect for introducing me to Jessica Williams.

4&5) i'm really sorry

6) i was quite sure that i would have mixed feedbacks about this one :D

7) ok

8) Choro is a musical style that should be explored with attention. i know Lon (jazzbo) is kinda familiar with it

9) geez....i'm very frustrated....sorry for the inconvenience & troubles..... the guitar player can play but sometimes on his albums he doesn't explore his full potential

10) ok

11) this is not a Jazz Messengers record. could be of course

12) ok

13) another musical style that should be explored by jazz fans

14) ok even if i don't agree :)

15& 16) ok

17) what's off-the peg? i'm sorry as my english skills are not that good :blush:

18) sorry once again

thanks Nate and i'm very sad you have gone through all these issues with your copies.

MCO

Quick note--"off-the-peg"--it means "prefabricated", as in clothing (the distinction is between clothes tailored specifically for a customer & clothes that are "off the peg", i.e. already made & ready to wear).

No idea what the sound problems are but they are very extensive on the CDRs I have--I'll be interested to hear if Evan has the same problems.....

Thanks for your long reply to my post, Marcus... I guess I took "Blue Bossa" for "Manha de Carnaval"... very bad... the later is so much a better song! (Blue Bossa was nice on its initial recording, but it's been done to death...)

Anyway, the track reminded me of that great, surreal scenery in this empty government office building... that alone makes the film a great one!

"Disc one"

All of this is off-the-cuff, no edits, first take!

Track 1: Sounds like a McCoy Tyner group, maybe Hubert Laws on flute? Sounds of recent vintage. Okay, that flute solo is reeeeeeally grating on my nerves. See if I can’t skip thru this. Hmm, long-ass drum solo. Snore. Ends on a nice note, though. Cut out about five minutes of this and I’m enjoying this a lot!

Track 2: Great in-the-pocket reading of “C-Jam.” Sounds like a young lion playing with some old masters. Is that Ron Carter on bass? Sure sounds like him! The drummer keeps things swinging ever-so-nicely, so I’m gonna guess Louis Hayes. Nice & tight, not one note wasted. At some points, the piano player sounds like he’s throwing around some Monkisms without losing the beat. Very nice!

Track 3: No clue. Sounds like another Monk fan, filtered through Vince Guaraldi. Has kind of an ECM feel to it.

Track 4: Wow, I never knew this song had lyrics to it. Nice arrangement. No idea who it is or who’s singing it. For some reason, this guy sounds more American than the language he’s singing. Ah, never mind; I thought it was a Jobim tune, “No More Blues” I think. Doesn’t matter; it’s still nice! (Actually, truth be told, this sounds like Harry Connick Jr. trying to sing bossa nova, without the nasal overtone that makes him sound like Billy Joel trying to sound like Frank Sinatra)

Track 5: The stereo separation of the horns makes me think it’s an RVG recording, but that’s about all I can come up with. It sure is long. A little too long for my attention span. The alto does sound like Jackie Mac, but that’s all I’m coming up with.

Track 6: Nice solo version of “Fly Me to the Moon.” Tatum maybe?

Track 7: Strings to start a jazz tune. Uh oh. Unless it’s Claus Ogerman or maybe Don Sebesky. Then I usually don’t have a problem. Eh, nothing about this tune really grabs me. Just sounds like just another piano player.

Track 8: Pretty cool, I guess. What’s that “whoop whoop” sound I keep hearing?

Track 9: Boy this guy is fast. Not a bit interesting to listen to, probably a lot of fun to watch.

Track 10: Kinda nice in the classic Miles ‘60s Quintet mode. Honestly, it went by me without really grabbing my attention.

Track 11: I like the sound of this. Well I did, until that tenor solo took over. Geezus, man, take yer thumb off that upper-register flap! Yer makin’ my ears bleed!

Sorry to be such a pill. Maybe others’ responses will provide enlightenment or something like that.

All of this is off-the-cuff, no edits, first take!

Track 1: Now THIS is nice! Has a nice intensity a la some of Trane’s modal stuff. I’m already humming the bass part in those quiet moments. Beautiful track! No clue who it is, but it sure is nice!

Track 2: Even more beauty! This reminds me of a Buddy Montgomery track that was on a BFT from some years back! Love that bass line, too. The drums are exotic and mysterious! Love it love it love it!

Track 3: HA! Cool lead-cello intro on the Monk tune (no, I don’t know the name of it! Whattya expect? I’ve already confused “Blue Bossa” with “Fly Me to the Moon”). MAN, that was cool!

Track 4: Who is playing those wicked harmonics? That is wild!!! Was almost put off by the unison voice and muted trumpet, but it’s okay. Oh, is that Joe Henderson? Which makes the voice Flora Purim? Stanley Clarke on bass? PLEASE say I’m getting close hear! :g Sweet, SWEET groove!

Track 5: Oh my, what a guilty pleasure this would be for me! My kinda groove! Really, it is so freakin’ cheesy that I can’t help but love it! I can’t wait to find out who this is, cuz I can’t even begin to guess. Maybe Chuck Mangione in the 70’s on a good day? Heck, I don’t know!

Track 6: Ooooh, nice mysterious 3/4 groove being played by the drums. Very cool. Sax trio, eh? First guess is something from Trio Fascination, the Lovano album with Elvin on it, but it’s been so long since I’ve heard that album. Okay, too many high squeals on the tenor sax for me. Losing interest very quickly.

Track 7: Another nice piano trio, along the lines of tracks 1 & 2. I’d even go so far as to say it’s George Winston (who I enjoy) ever recorded a trio album, it might sound like this. My apologies to anyone whose heads just exploded because of that last statement. Eh, this one’s going on a bit too long as well, and the bass solo ain’t helping. No, I take back my earlier statement about this being George Winston; it sounds like a classical pianist trying to play jazz. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not good in this case.

Track 8: The slow intro almost lost me, but now the groove has picked up and I’m really enjoying this. For some reason, I wanna say Michael Brecker from his final album. Sometimes the piano sounds like Herbie Hancock. Intro suggested yet another version of “All the Things You Are,” but this clearly ain’t that! Thankfully!

Track 9: Nice. No clue as to the tenor player, they all kinda sound the same at this point. Heck, at one point, I thought I was still listening to track 8! Like the occasional percussion statements.

Track 10: Nice Latin groove here! My first guess is Chucho Valdes, but that says more about how little I know than anything else!

Track 11: Man, Marcos, you sure like your piano trios! Unfortunately, and especially among today’s players, I can’t tell one from the other. But this is nice!

Track 12: Another nice groove! Another track I don’t know anyone!

By and large, and especially with those first few tracks, this was a pretty enjoyable BFT. Thanks Marcos!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so late, but I have a hard time to listen and write down comments at the time, being kept busy with all kinds of things. All he needed was some discipline ....

Very interesting compilation - not that I expected anything less ... The usual disclaimers apply.

Track 1: Jeremy Steig? Eddie Gomez? Not sure about the bassist, some trademark phrases are missing. Oh, a live recording ... I don't know many recordings of Steig in a straight quartet setting. Somehow this sounds not quite like him or the context he would play in. A serious Steig disciple, then. The drummer sounds like a more recent player to me, from the technical aspect of his solo. I'm really curious about this. (An afterthought: Could this be the flutist Kenny Barron has featured lately? Anne Drummond or what was her name?)

Track 2: A cleverly misleading intro leading into C-Jam Blues. Nice, sounds like one of those Black & Blue mainstream groups. Nice players. I like it more Duke-Monkish, but this is very much okay. Probably all familiar players. NHÖP on bass? They're seriously enjoying themselves.

Track 3: No clue on this. Reminds me of Ray Bryant's slightly church-inflected tunes, but this is not him. Nice, but doesn't move me deeply.

Track 4: Great! Brazilian, that's for sure. I love this kind of thing and have too little of it in my collection. More please! Who is this?

Track 5: Tenor player sounds terribly familiar, but I don't get him. Nice. Oh - another sax? Alto - sounds too forceful for my taste. Now I'm stumped ...

Track 6: "Blue Bossa" is much harder to play well than one might think. This pianist takes it too lightheartedly, and the tempo too fast. This is samba tempo, not bossa nova. In order to reach that specific blend of bossa and a jazzy blues feeling one has to take it slightly slower than Dorham and Henderson. I have yet to hear a version that hits that mix as precisely as Dorham's playing on the legendary Blue Note LP. Not a Brazilian, I hope!

Track 7: "I Didn't Know What Time It Was". Nice with piano, bass and the string quartet. All play in fine form, but I would have appreciated a more pensive bass solo and no double timing for the piano solo. This and the drumset coming in on sticks (use your brushes in such a context!) kind of spoils the nice mood the strings set up. Too bad ... I like the beginning and end a lot.

Track 8: Hah! faked shellac sounds. These should be Brazilians. Those trombones, the baritone sax, the choro influence, it's all there and still very contemporary. Verrrry nice!!! That vocalizing along with the theme before the piano solo is a nice touch. I love this Brazilian stuff!

Track 9: Wes Montgomery's "Jingles" - played way too fast! This tempo reduces the tune to the changes, all the rhythmic intricacies of the theme are lost. I don't see any sense in playing such a tune at such a tempo, he totally misunderstood it. NO, sir! The irony of it is that he can't handle that tempo very well .... is this Larry Coryell? Pianist is much more adept at the fast tempo.

Track 10: The opening theme reminds me of a disc of pianist Bill Mays I have, but these are different people. I find it somewhat disjointed harmonically during the tenor solo - the tenor, piano and bass all running versions of the changes far apart from each other. Freddie Hubbard? This kind of things doesn't thrill me anymore.

Track 11: Is this a Horace Silver tune - "Kiss Me Tight"? The band has more of a Messengers feeling, especially during the trumpet solo. Nice soloists. I like this a lot better than track 10. In the tradition, but not so many cliché phrases, or played with freshness and conviction.

To be continued after cooking the evening meal ....

p.s. I won't look at the others' comments before posting on the second disc.

Edited by mikeweil

Here's to the 2nd disc.

Track 12: Nice opener - very free waltz-type feel, but I like this somehow. No clue on who they are, though.

Track 13: Oh - that's the kind of groove I love! You can do so much more at such a tempo. Pianist sets the mood in a great way, dark, but not hopeless. ***** = 5 stars from me. Who is this?

Track 14: Monk's "Ask Me Now"? Nice - why don't clarinettists play Monk tunes more often?

Track 15: Reminds me of Flora Purim - bassists has a Pastorius ostinato thing going. I was curious whether they were able to sustain the mood during the solos - and yes, they can! Nice how the alto saxist takes it to some kind of climax without overplaying.

Track 16: Duh! Philly Sound in an Org BFT?! Well - these are studio pros - Billy Cobham drumming? A child of its time, for sure.

Track 17: My concentration is fading, especially when worn out by such a tenor trio. Good players, but not the type of thing I listen too these days, so I have a hard time to comment on this .....

Track 18: I really prefer the slower tempos in jazz, the intensity it gives .... But again no clue

Track 19: "Canto de Ossanha" - Baden Powell's tune. Very peculiar alto sound. Hard bossa, for sure ... Verrrry nice again. I'm really curious who the saxophone player is. Nice drummer too.

Track 20: Well ... I have a hard time trying to relates to this, a little too abstract and ambiguous for me. The percussionist is trying hard to find a place in the music - it would work just as well without him. It's like tea with a spice or without it ... But the way they take it out is very sensitive - it's a good piece of music, just doesn't hit my mood.

Track 21: Oh, at last a track I know, from this CD : AMG link. One of the most consistent pianists of his generation, althouggh he's still a little Tyneresque here. The older he gets, the more he cuts loose, which makes him a real piano giant now that he's beyond his 50th birthday. The conga player here, btw, is a legendary figure.

Track 22: "Get Out of Town" with a loose edge that keeps it interesting. Piano is a damn hard instrument ..... Ron Carter on bass or one of his followers. On the whole, not as convincing to me as the preceding track. The pianist lacks that real assuredness in his approach. He's still struggling with the instrument.

Track 23: Nice idea, but I find the phrasing of this saxist a little edgy, rhythmically.

Oh - I made it through .....

Thanks for that compilation - there are some tracks I'm really curious about!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...