no topic

The Rep

My choice for AOTW is "Blue Black" by Jean Tousaint, he is a straight ahead sax player, who played in some good bands and has a wealth of experience. Jean play's both soprano and tenor saxes and has some very good company with him.

Mulgrew Miller - Piano, Robert Hurst - Bass, Jeff Tain Watts - Drums, Bill Mobley - Trumpet and Flugelhorn on tracks 1,2 & 7, Anga Diaz - Percussion on tracks 1 & 5.

There are ten tracks on the album, six of which were written by Toussaint, of the others two by Gershwin, one by Monk and one by Ann Ronell "Willow Weep For Me". It was this track that attracted me to this album.

The other tracks being,

Island Rhythm, A Song For Lionel, Hymn, They Can't Take That Away From Me, Blue Black, One For Ronnie, Willow Weep For Me, But Not For Me, and what seems like an extra track Envy.

Willow is the longest on the album at 12:40 and the band play a very interesting arrangement which alternates its rythmic feel every few choruses and is hypnotic performance. I also like "One For Ronnie" dedicated to Ronnie Scott. Another great number is Gershwins "But Not For Me". I think Mulgrew Miller has a lot to do with me likeing this album. I always feel good after listening to it.

The Rep.

Question, Is, Willow Weep For Me, the only song Ann Ronell wrote ?.

Hmm, confusion. I thought I was up for this week w/ Ella Fitzgerald sings Jobim.

I can put mine back another week.

I apologize, it is totally my mistake. I put a note up for myself and it dropped off but I thought I remember it was this week. I was in a rush this morning and never checked. I do hope it has not caused a problem but if so ask john to take it off.

Sorry again Ray.