Don Patterson

BTW - I compiled a Don Patterson discography - here 'tis for download. Please e-mail any additions or corrections, I will keep it updated.

I plan to make my own CDR of all Patterson ballads - any suggestions?

p.s. Discography updated May 27, 2006!

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW - I compiled a Don Patterson discography - here 'tis for download. Please e-mail any additions or corrections, I will keep it updated.

My favourite Patterson ballads are "These foolish things" from "Mellow soul" and "Aries" (though it's not a standard) from "O.D. (Out Dere)".

MG

Excellent job, Mike.Thank you very much! :D

Regarding your CD-R, yes, definitively the Good Live,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Throwing this one up on the pile because I was listening to some heavy DP today while practising. Learned his "Freddit Tooks, Jr." (bad tune!) and some others and was bopping with Booker Ervin and Houston Person.

Don's sense of swing in his solos is intriguing to me. He is almost playing straight 8ths, very staccato. I was listening LOUD and having a blast playing along.

Throwing this one up on the pile because I was listening to some heavy DP today while practising. Learned his "Freddit Tooks, Jr." (bad tune!) and some others and was bopping with Booker Ervin and Houston Person.

Don's sense of swing in his solos is intriguing to me. He is almost playing straight 8ths, very staccato. I was listening LOUD and having a blast playing along.

Don Patterson....wow. The more you play the B3, the more you understand what a complete and utter genius he was.

I was trying to explain that to Joe. The way he forms his basslines, his comping, and his soloing is all very difficult and very unique to his organ playing. I understand completely why Jimmy Smith considered DP to be the only threat to his throne.

I would have loved to have seen DP at the peak of his powers. He was a one of a kind powerhouse. The idea that he and Billy James did a lot of duo gigs doesn't surprise me. He didn't need anyone else. He had it all.

• 3 weeks later...

That does it!

After reading this thread I decided to use some of my eMusic downloads this month on Don Patterson material. I got all the tracks with Booker Ervin (a personal favorite of mine) plus Boppin' and Burnin' and the Opus the Don material from Dem New York Dues for a start. Downloading right now, can't wait to hear it all! :)

I also realized that I already have the early Eric Kloss material that Patterson played on, need to give that another listen.

Did the track People from the May 12, 1964 session ever surface on CD? For some reason it's not on the Legends of Acid Jazz CD that includes all the other tunes from that session, even though the disc is only 63 minutes long.

While I was at it I also grabbed Jack McDuff's The Honeydripper and The New Boss Guitar of George Benson, more organ goodness! :)

Did the track People from the May 12, 1964 session ever surface on CD? For some reason it's not on the Legends of Acid Jazz CD that includes all the other tunes from that session, even though the disc is only 63 minutes long.

Intereting you should mention it. That track seems only ever to have been issued on a 45 - PR323, coupled with "Love me with all your heart". I was going nuts looking through all my albums on LP or CD for it until I checked the Prestige discography.

MG

"People" is one of the unexplainable omissions in the Prestige twofer reissue series ....

"People" is one of those unexplainable tunes that folks choose to cover.

:bad:

Here's a bit of trivia for your delight: it was written by the guy who wrote "How much is that doggy in the window" (and many more of the absolutely worst pop tunes of the early '50s). I believe that an overdose of Bob Merrill songs made white kids listen to R&B in the early '50s, and then gave rise to R&R.

So don't knock it :D

MG

"People" is one of the unexplainable omissions in the Prestige twofer reissue series ....

Larry Young/Grant Green's version of people is absolutely one of my favorite organ cuts of all time. It actually is a great song in the right hands.... :D

Larry Young/Grant Green's version of people is absolutely one of my favorite organ cuts of all time. It actually is a great song in the right hands.... :D

Well, I think it's a crummy song that, like many crummy songs, can be turned into a masterpiece by the right musicians; ie, Green/Young/Jones.

MG