Clifford Brown

thomastreichler

My advice? Buy everything (legit) with Clifford's name on it, without hestitation. Some are better than others (and they've been covered here) but you'll find some rewarding music on them all. Considering how little time the man had to make music, it's not that difficult.

The EmArcy box is starting to show its age in the remastering department; are the individual issues better sonically?

Good advice about buying the legitimate stuff.

After that. .. if you want to buy the illegitimate stuff. . . ;)

As for the box remastering: I think it sounds realy good. So do Japanese individual releases I have of many of the albums. I haven't heard the US Verve single discs.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to the "Beginning and the End" recording, specifically for Clifford's great solos on Donna lee, Walkin' and Night in Tunisia. It's not his last recording, but it's pretty close.

Have owned that one for years, but have never been able to get into it. I love many of the discs on the Complete Emarcy Recordings, although in all honesty, the multiple multiple takes does get a little tiresome after a while. Maybe this is something the Ipod can fix.

Until a few years ago, the easy (and rather reasonably priced) way would have been to purchase the ten CD box 'The Complete EmArcy Recordings' which had all the great albums he recorded with Max Roach in the mid-fifties. Understand the box can now be purchased at rather astronomic prices!

41SJB300K1L._AA240_.jpg

The BN/Pacific Jazz box is a musthave item in any collection. So are the two CDs from the Art Blakey at Birdland date.

How astronomic ? Not that I'd ever part with it.

Until a few years ago, the easy (and rather reasonably priced) way would have been to purchase the ten CD box 'The Complete EmArcy Recordings' which had all the great albums he recorded with Max Roach in the mid-fifties. Understand the box can now be purchased at rather astronomic prices!

41SJB300K1L._AA240_.jpg

The BN/Pacific Jazz box is a musthave item in any collection. So are the two CDs from the Art Blakey at Birdland date.

On Amazon, this astronomic - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...1233&sr=8-2

Edited by paul secor

41SJB300K1L._AA240_.jpg

On Amazon, this astronomic - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...1233&sr=8-2

wow

Some pretty amazing stuff on the Birdland CD, as others have said. I really like LD here too. Incidentally, on the cover (below), who is the guy standing behind Pee Wee? Looks like Mussolini, but I'm guessing that's not him :wacko:

blakey_art~_nightatbi_101b.jpg

That's the manager of Birdland, Oscar Goodstein.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

For all those posting about Brownie's session at Philly's Music City, I have since been informed that the session was actually done a week after that bulletin posted - on June 7, 1955. More forthcoming in a highly anticipated video documentary on Clifford by jazz pianist Don Glanden due out sometime next year!

Al Hood

University of Denver

• 1 year later...

Any Clifford Brown fans have this one???

guess many clifford brown fans have it :D it's my only clifford brown cd so i guess i can't help you much - the first four or five tracks under tadd damerons leadership are awesome, maybe my favorite dameron pieces, the second half from sweden with art farmer is also pretty good...

edit to add, mixed up the two halves, first four tunes are sweden with art farmer, rest is dameron...

can you hear it here?

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/104920

Edited by Niko

Any Clifford Brown fans have this one???

guess many clifford brown fans have it :D it's my only clifford brown cd so i guess i can't help you much - the first four or five tracks under tadd damerons leadership are awesome, maybe my favorite dameron pieces, the second half from sweden with art farmer is also pretty good...

edit to add, mixed up the two halves, first four tunes are sweden with art farmer, rest is dameron...

can you hear it here?

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/104920

Cheers Niko. The Dameron tracks are the ones I'm most interested in so I just might have to spring for this one.

http://www.deezer.com, that's a great link, thanks again.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

:) you are heartily invited to that ongoing thread where BillF, GA Russell and I discuss places where you can listen to albums for free - can't believe i hadn't been aware of those until a few weeks ago... (after sampling a few tracks you have to register with deezer - did it and nothing bad has happened to me so far)

I'm sure many members here have it. It combines two original 10" albums plus an alternate take. The earliest chronologically is a Tadd Dameron nonet session from June 1953 which was released as A Study In Dameronia. This was recorded only two days after Brownie had made his first New York session with Lou Donaldson for Blue Note. Ira Gitler relates in the liner notes how Dameron had been talking for a week about the new trumpet player he was going to unveil at the session, but still, when Clifford stood up and took his first solo, Gitler nearly fell off his seat in the control room!

The arrangements are full of Dameronian voicings, and apart from Brownie we get to hear some other new talents like Benny Golson and Philly Joe Jones who is prominently featured on Philly J.J.. Dameron also takes some piano solos of his own. A very nice date! It makes you lament that Dameron's own sessions were so few and far between.

The Dameron group was a working band and after it broke up Brownie joined Lionel Hampton's big band which went on tour to Europe. There several of the young up-and-coming band members sneaked out to recording sessions despite being strictly forbidden to do so. Most wellknown are a number of sessions cut in Paris, but before that Clifford Brown and Art Farmer cut a session in Stockholm with the Swedish jazz elite of the time: Lars Gullin, Bengt Hallberg, Åke Persson and the recently departed Arne Domnérus. This September 1953 session was released on Metronome in Sweden and as Clifford Brown And Art Farmer With The Swedish All Stars on a Prestige 10" LP. The Swedish modern jazz scene of the time was more into the cool school, but all participants blend well together. There are some arrangements (supposedly by Quincy Jones) although the main focus is on a string of solos by the participants. I think Art Farmer takes the first trumpet solo on three of these four tunes, but, although Brown and Farmer shared some common ground, you should be able to tell them apart. Farmer plays fine enough, but Brown is the more extrovert and technically assured.

The sound is fine on both sessions. Two alternate takes exist from the Swedish session, but they are not included here. The alternate that does is from the Dameron session.

These would have been good sessions even without Brownie's presence, but especially considering his tragically short career, every session Brownie participated in becomes of increased importance. There may be other Brownie recordings you should get first, but you will want this one too.

As much as I love Clifford Brown, hearing him also saddens me. The 1953-56 recordings we have were really just the beginning of his career. There should have been so much more. His meaningless death must be the single biggest tragedy in jazz history. That's how I feel in any case.

Really nice post Swinging Swede, I will get this one for sure now. Cheers.

:) you are heartily invited to that ongoing thread where BillF, GA Russell and I discuss places where you can listen to albums for free - can't believe i hadn't been aware of those until a few weeks ago... (after sampling a few tracks you have to register with deezer - did it and nothing bad has happened to me so far)

I think I'll sign up myself, although I might wait until you are sure that nothing bad happens to you. :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

41SJB300K1L._AA240_.jpg

I picked this up at a used record store years ago for $19.00....probably rates as one of the better bargains I've received!

m