Clifford Brown

thomastreichler

I am currently listening to "Jordu", a compilation on Dreyfus Reference under the name of Max Roach & Clifford Brown. This is a compilation - in excellent sound by the way - with "Jordu", "I Can't Get Started", "I Get A Kick Out Of You" and "Parisian Thoroughfare", recorded live by the Clifford Brown - May Roach Quintet on August 30 1954; "Tenderly", "Sunset Eyes" , "Clifford's Axe" and "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm", recorded live in April 1954 by the Quintet (including Teddy Edwards, Carl Perkins, George Bledsoe and Max Roach); and "Joy Spring", "Delilah" and "Daahoud", studio recordings from August 2/6 1954.

These are exciting recordings. Clifford Brown until now is - inexplicably and inexcusably - a neglected musician in my collection. I definitely want to change that. Where shall I go next? Is the Proper Box "Joy Spring" any good? What about "The Complete Blue Note And Pacific Jazz Recordings"? I also consider purchasing "Study In Brown" and "At Basin Street" as well as the Art Blakey Quintet at Birldland (1954), what are your opinions?

Edited by Tommy T

Until a few years ago, the easy (and rather reasonably priced) way would have been to purchase the ten CD box 'The Complete EmArcy Recordings' which had all the great albums he recorded with Max Roach in the mid-fifties. Understand the box can now be purchased at rather astronomic prices!

41SJB300K1L._AA240_.jpg

The BN/Pacific Jazz box is a musthave item in any collection. So are the two CDs from the Art Blakey at Birdland date.

Edited by brownie

Didn't realize that the Emarcy box is o/p. Most of it can be found on individual Emarcy/Verve CDs for about ten bucks each.

You can safely go for any of the Max/Clifford sets and end up with some very good listening. The Clifford Brown with Strings set is a different deal, but fine listening also. The Clifford and vocalists (Helen Merrill, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughan) CDs are good, but vocalists aren't my thing. Others may have a different view on those.

The BN stuff has all been RVG'd - also recommended - especially the Messengers at Birdland sides.

Live at the Beehive is another very fine set - mediocre (at best) sound, but great fiery music that overcomes any deficiencies in the sound. Unfortunately, it's currently available only from the Spanish pirates, so you'll have to decide whether you want to go there.

Edited by paul secor

Interesting that you started with the live Brown/Roach material from '54. You've gotten the advice you need on the studio dates, though I would add the one under Rollins name. I think the original title was "Sonny Rollins plus 4", though it was reissued under the title "Three Giants".

Philology had a series called "Brownie's Eyes" which ultimately ran to more than 30 volumes of live material and outtakes from various studio dates. The "Brownie's Eyes" disks are long OOP but it seems that some of the Brown/Roach material has been re-booted. Some of these titles have been mentioned on other recent Rollins threads but I would recommend you consider "More Live at the Bee Hive" (MSI), "Clifford Brown at the Cotton Club" (Lonehill), and "Clifford Brown/Max Roach, The Last Concert" (RLR). I can't speak for the sound quality because I have it all from Philology (which was generally fair to poor except for the "More Live at the Bee Hive" set, which was pretty good) but the performances are incredible.

I keep coming back to the "Beginning and the End" recording, specifically for Clifford's great solos on Donna lee, Walkin' and Night in Tunisia. It's not his last recording, but it's pretty close.

Not that close really, since it was recorded on 31st May 1955, over a year before his death. Which takes nothing away from the music, of course.

The ones on RVG are must haves. Get the two Birdland sides with Blakey, and Memorial Album.

Thanks, glad to hear this. I already have the Birdland dates, 4 Emarcys, and Rollins + 4 (sold Sarah Vaughan w. CB as vocals aren't my thing). Memorial Album is currently at the head of my yourmusic queue, and I was wondering whether to leave it there...

The ones on RVG are must haves. Get the two Birdland sides with Blakey, and Memorial Album.

Thanks, glad to hear this. I already have the Birdland dates, 4 Emarcys, and Rollins + 4 (sold Sarah Vaughan w. CB as vocals aren't my thing). Memorial Album is currently at the head of my yourmusic queue, and I was wondering whether to leave it there...

Memorial Album has a track on it called "Brownie Speaks" that to me is some of the most exciting trumpet playing I've ever heard. I've listened to that track countless times and I'm just floored every time.

I keep coming back to the "Beginning and the End" recording, specifically for Clifford's great solos on Donna lee, Walkin' and Night in Tunisia. It's not his last recording, but it's pretty close.

Not that close really, since it was recorded on 31st May 1955, over a year before his death. Which takes nothing away from the music, of course.

Wow.....I was fairly sure the original date given on the recording's liner notes (June 25, 1956, the day before he died) was incorrect, but I didn't know the correct date was an entire year earlier!

My recommendation still stands, though! :)

There certainly was a jam session just hours before Brownie's death, which the drummer could reminisce about. However, that is not the one on the Columbia album! Even the liner notes say that this session wasn't Clifford's first at Music City, and that usually a tape recorder would be in action, and indeed this recording must be an earlier one. The reason it can't be 25th June 1956 is that tenorist Billy Root, who is present on the recording, was on tour with Stan Kenton at the time of Clifford's death. It thus has to be an earlier occasion. According to my notes researcher Alan Hood reported the date to be 31st May 1955 in the November 1996 Jazz Journal International (p.18).

There certainly was a jam session just hours before Brownie's death, which the drummer could reminisce about. However, that is not the one on the Columbia album! Even the liner notes say that this session wasn't Clifford's first at Music City, and that usually a tape recorder would be in action, and indeed this recording must be an earlier one. The reason it can't be 25th June 1956 is that tenorist Billy Root, who is present on the recording, was on tour with Stan Kenton at the time of Clifford's death. It thus has to be an earlier occasion. According to my notes researcher Alan Hood reported the date to be 31st May 1955 in the November 1996 Jazz Journal International (p.18).

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just now I am listening to "A Night At Birdland" by the Art Blakey Quintet featuring Clifford Brown on Dreyfus Reference. This is timeless music, Clifford is absolutely great, Lou Donaldson is in fine from too and Art Blakey swings like mad; sound, as usual on Dreyfus Reference, is exceptional. The Dreyfus edition of the famous concert consists of the following tracks:

1. Split Kick

2. Once In A While

3. Quicksilver

4. A Night In Tunisia

5. Mayreh

6. Wee Dot

7. If I Had You

8. Now's The time

9. Confirmation

This is not the complete set covered by the three volumes on Blue Note.

Thanks to all of you who recommended this set, it is a winner!

My advice? Buy everything (legit) with Clifford's name on it, without hestitation. Some are better than others (and they've been covered here) but you'll find some rewarding music on them all. Considering how little time the man had to make music, it's not that difficult.

The EmArcy box is starting to show its age in the remastering department; are the individual issues better sonically?