CDR help (brands / types / suggestions)

Jim R

I recommend calling the guys at American Digital. They have lots of experience with a wide range of CDR media and customers with every type of machine. I have one of those tempermental Phillips machines and once had to send a whole bunch of Fujis back to them. They knew right away what the problem was (something had changed in the manuf. process). Since then, I ususally stick with Mitsuis from them.

I'm a little late in this conversation, but here's my two cents:

I've had an HK 20 for a few years now, and have had only one incident where I had to send the machine back to the manufacturer (recommended repair place in California). They upgraded my firmware (with what, I have NO idea), but all I know is when I got it back, I have had no problems whatsoever with burning cds. I use TDKS and Sony, and have not had any sound issues with playback.

I've also used American Digital and found them friendly and helpful though their shipping charges are high so you need to place a sizable order ($100 or more) to make it worthwhile. They recommended unbranded taiyo yuden blanks as being as reliable as mitsui and much cheaper. They seem to work fine in my PC, car, and other cd players.

I have had a Harman/Kardon CDR20 burner for about 1 1/2 years. It just died about a month ago. Actually, the only problem with it is I can now hear some static on my analog copies. I've had trouble in the past with the cheap Maxell discs. The discs that always worked well for me were the Japanese Memorex and the Japanese Fuji discs. From what I've heard, and what I'm starting to see, a lot of the Fuji discs are now made in Taiwan. Look before you buy. I have been getting the Japanese Fuji Audio discs - 50 Pack - on line from Best Buy. The shipping is free and the cost is about $22 for the pack. Stefan. What happened with your cdr20?

most people's recommendations seem to be based on "i've had no trouble with burns using this brand." as i remember it, the original discussion focused on the argument that some of the brands mentioned here might not faithfully deliver the music you burned 5, 10, 15, ... years from now. something about unstable dyes and other factors. i seem to recall that mitsui was one of the brands that received high marks in the simulated longevity tests.