Large Group Ensembles

Tom 1960

There might already be a topic here dedicated to this subject? If so, please direct me to the relevant thread. What I'm interested in is larger group ensembles. Not necessarily interested in big band performances ala Duke or Count. What I'm specifically interested is guys who generally were featured in much smaller outings but also played in a much larger format. Examples: Jimmy Heath and the album "Really Big" Oliver Nelson and "Afro-American Sketches". Miles' work with Gil Evans, you get the idea. Thanks for the input.

Kenny Wheeler "Music for Large and Small Ensembles" comes to mind immediately.

One of my favorite Kenny sides, just beautiful ensemble writing. There is a book containing several scores from this recordong published by Advance Music.

EDIT: Also, the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band. Many small group soloists in the context of a larger ensemble.

Edited by Free For All

There might already be a topic here dedicated to this subject? If so, please direct me to the relevant thread. What I'm interested in is larger group ensembles. Not necessarily interested in big band performances ala Duke or Count. What I'm specifically interested is guys who generally were featured in much smaller outings but also played in a much larger format. Examples: Jimmy Heath and the album "Really Big" Oliver Nelson and "Afro-American Sketches". Miles' work with Gil Evans, you get the idea. Thanks for the input.

saw such a thread earlier today, one of these great recommendations threads started by rooster_ties but can't find it anymore...

Oliver Nelson arranged a lot of such one-time Big Band sessions for people

a really great one: Eddie Lockjaw Davis "Whistle Stop"

a not so great one: Clark Terry All-American...

Tadd Dameron did some such big band sessions in his last burst of activity on Riverside, Blue Mitchell's strings album Smooth as the Wind, Milt Jackson's Big Bags [both albums had other arrangers as well] and his own The Magic Touch (for him it was the step from ca 10 piece to real big band), iirc he also did something for Sonny Stitt round that time...

some of the Randy Weston albums I'd like to know fall under your description, Tanjah, for example

is there a Bill Evans Big Band album?

Alan Silva's Celestrial Communications Orchestra

Ted Daniel & Energy

Toshiyuki Miyama's New Herd Orchestra

Don Ellis Orchestra

Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy (not to mention the European orchestras of the early '70s)

William Parker - Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra

Horace Tapscott & the Pan-African People's Arkestra

some of the Company orchestras (Derek Bailey, Evan Parker & whomever they got to join them)

Globe Unity (duh) ostensibly led by Alex von Schlippenbach

John Tchicai's Cadentia Nova Danica

Willem Breuker Kollektif

The Jazz Composers Orchestra

The Creative Musicians Improvisers' Orchestra

Bill Dixon's Orchestra of the University of the Streets

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath

Manfred Schoof's European Echoes band (mo'f'n hurricane of an LP!)

Will think on more, gotta get to work.

remembered, that a search for Don Ellis had led me there...

favorite modern jazz RECORDINGS w/ 10+ players, recommend specific releases:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14388

and linked in there:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14372

edit to add the answer to ubu's question is obviously YES

Edited by Niko