GRAM PARSONS ARCHIVES VOL. 1

Chalupa

Quincy Punk Rock Episode--

how the fuck is Gene Clark overated?

Gram excepted I don't think I've seen so many references to a dead cultish figure the past year since Volkswagon & the emo pansies discovered Nick Drake. But now that I think about it 3/4s of it has been posted by you - maybe I think the lil' "o" is too reflective of the real world. Like I said, I'm not knockin' the guy one iota. How 'bout not overrated, but I've read enough promotion to last me for the next few years, ok?

AND he had an affair with Michelle Phillips that (Papa) John sang about.

I take it all back. There is no overrating the man.

Jeff Buckley cult is bizarre & edc saw him early; a talented guy, more Robert Plant than his dad-- whose best stuff is levels beyond-- but how a guy becomes iconic covering John Cale covering Leonard Cohen--- what the "heck"?

Just had to see that observation printed again. It's a head scratcher.

& yes, Q, Sweetheart ** is ** still overrated by people who don't know nuttin' about then-cotempo country.

Well yeah, too many just have that and nothing else even remotely country. I'm with Chuck in thinking so much of this shit is hormonal. I bonded with the album as a young 'un. I guess I needed the approval of hippies (Skull & Roses too) to say it's okay to explore Merle, Hank Sr., Louvin Bros., etc. I had already started but they get an assist, and for that I'm grateful. It's probably the last Byrds album I've reached for in the past several years, namely because my partner throws it on when I'm away and I always seem to walk in to "One Hundred Years From Now." (She was influenced by hippie siblings, not fanzines.) Lately, if I throw on the Byrds it's likely to be Mr. Tambourine Man or Untitled/Unissued, whereas a couple of years ago it was the stuff in-between. There's something to be said for churning through band members as it sure as hell creates a diversity of sound.

FWIW, I reckon the best Burrito album is the third - when Gram had split. A genuine country rock sound.

Totally disagree, while that third album has a few good tunes, I think that Rick Roberts's voice, while maybe technically better than Gram's, is just too generic and a whole lot less compelling. Give me Gram's imperfect voice any day.

I also think the album is just a bit too polished and prefer the overall sound on Gilded Palace - which is the best, in my opinion.

Finally, I like from the third album the White Line Fever and To Romona covers, but songs like Four Days of Rain, All Alone, Hand to Mouth - I find these borderline easy listening Doobie Brothers material - unlistenable to me.

Just my two cents.

I came to this party a bit late, but I want my opinion to be on record-I agree that the third Burritos album is their best- if only for the majestic White Line Fever. Rick Roberts never came within a country mile of improving upon this song, I also think that Gram Parsons is way overated and a marginal figure at best. However, I do not think that Gene Clark is overated- 3 great albums at the very least , No Other ndeed, and Tim Buckley is da bomb, even after all these years.

I have big ears, it's either my ADD, lack of critical faculties, or just impatience for repetitive listening....

major exceptions:

About once a month I go back to GD's Dark Star (mostly '69-70), Layla, and a Flying Burrito Brothers anthology (there are a few good ones). Great band in my opinion, but like many many groups the 1st two records tell the story (just like the Dominos, and Zep, and The Band, and Television and...).

Clem I love their Sing Me Back Home, it's the best version of that fine tune that I know. FBB = transcendent group, the skill and love for fine music is CLEAR. How funny that the Dead, their not-so secret admirers, turn up with good tapes. What else is in their vault????

FWIW, I reckon the best Burrito album is the third - when Gram had split. A genuine country rock sound.

Totally disagree, while that third album has a few good tunes, I think that Rick Roberts's voice, while maybe technically better than Gram's, is just too generic and a whole lot less compelling. Give me Gram's imperfect voice any day.

I also think the album is just a bit too polished and prefer the overall sound on Gilded Palace - which is the best, in my opinion.

Finally, I like from the third album the White Line Fever and To Romona covers, but songs like Four Days of Rain, All Alone, Hand to Mouth - I find these borderline easy listening Doobie Brothers material - unlistenable to me.

Just my two cents.

Fair enough. But it's those songs - Four Days of Rain, All Alone, Hand to Mouth (with Earl Ball's piano), et al - that make the album so appealing for me. I'm no real big fan of the Roberts pipes, but I think it's that generic aspect that makes for a more unified, organic sound for me.

The earlier albums and Sweetheart may be more brilliant, but to my ears they're a matter of "rockers playing country". That third album is "country rock", and thus a more satisfying and rewarding outing for my listening purposes and pleaure.

But then again, I'm a fella who believes the first two Pure Prairie League album ace EVERYONE for being the best two country rock albums. EVER. They were rightfully reunited on a single CD that was released a while ago. Brilliant.

I suspect 'Mericans have baggage with the PPL, coz Amie just goes round and round and round. If I, too, was over exposed to that song, then I, too, might roll my eyes at mention of the band. As it is, their music continjues to come to me through a sense of wonder of a NZ schoolboy!

It was all donwhill from there, but those two albums? Mighty.

Edited by kenny weir

Kenny, I was about to mention Craig Fuller and the first 2 Pure Prarie League albums, but did not wish to be responsible for thead drift! But they are without a doubt my favourite country rock albums. I only just found out that the admirable label Evangeline has them on a twofer-my order is awaited! My dispointment when Two Lane highway eventually appeared was akin to that engendered by the Deads Mars Hotel.the end of a love affair, but that first album -Whew! I first heard it while shopping for cowboy shirts in Portobello Road, and in those dys it was a big deal to advance order a US import, but you can be sure I was all over Bustin Out when in arrived in the UK:

Kenny, I was about to mention Craig Fuller and the first 2 Pure Prarie League albums, but did not wish to be responsible for thead drift! But they are without a doubt my favourite country rock albums. I only just found out that the admirable label Evangeline has them on a twofer-my order is awaited! My dispointment when Two Lane highway eventually appeared was akin to that engendered by the Deads Mars Hotel.the end of a love affair, but that first album -Whew! I first heard it while shopping for cowboy shirts in Portobello Road, and in those dys it was a big deal to advance order a US import, but you can be sure I was all over Bustin Out when in arrived in the UK:

Well theere you go - andother non-'Merican who rates PPL No.1 and No.2 at the very highest pinnacle!

As I say above, I don't think the band - or, more specifically, those two albums - even enter 'Merican thought processes in coversations such as this. I've been led to believe that Amie became a tiresome, cliched staple of FM/college radio for several decades and thus an utter irritant for a whole generation or two. Think Fleetwood Mac's Rumours or Bob Seger's Old Time Rock 'N' Roll. That kind of tedious over-exposure can remove anybody's ability to hear what actually's being played and sung.

I waited for year for that (obvious) twofer and, like you, pounced. Two albums of perfection - perfection that only seems to be enhanced by the stark contrasts betwen them.

I quite liked Two Lane Highway, but it wasn't at the same level. I'm tempted by their (reformed) latest, with Fuller back on board - the Amazon clips sounds fine. But I suspect other stuff will always have priority.

Just my two cents.

Fair enough. But it's those songs - Four Days of Rain, All Alone, Hand to Mouth (with Earl Ball's piano), et al - that make the album so appealing for me. I'm no real big fan of the Roberts pipes, but I think it's that generic aspect that makes for a more unified, organic sound for me.

The earlier albums and Sweetheart may be more brilliant, but to my ears they're a matter of "rockers playing country". That third album is "country rock", and thus a more satisfying and rewarding outing for my listening purposes and pleaure.

But then again, I'm a fella who believes the first two Pure Prairie League album ace EVERYONE for being the best two country rock albums. EVER. They were rightfully reunited on a single CD that was released a while ago. Brilliant.

I suspect 'Mericans have baggage with the PPL, coz Amie just goes round and round and round. If I, too, was over exposed to that song, then I, too, might roll my eyes at mention of the band. As it is, their music continjues to come to me through a sense of wonder of a NZ schoolboy!

It was all donwhill from there, but those two albums? Mighty.

Listening again - I think the best original song on the third Burritos was "Colorado" - that's a great song. The worst "Why are you crying"

The other thing about that album I don't like is that Sneeky Pete seems more restrained than on the first two and I love SNeeky Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

$15 bucks this week at J&R. Should have been a single disc with the best performances, since most all is duped on discs 1 & 2. Second disc is much more lively. Sound is pure and clean, in my opinion, for an essentially low-fi board. (Bear can do no wrong by me.) It is great to hear an intimate miking of Gram's voice (impressive effort on all the notes) and some very spaced out pedal steel. Bass is down low, enough to get the feel of it mildly shaking the ballroom. This is a great archival release, just to hear these excellent songs performed live, and by the songwriters in some cases. (They kill it on Sin City, on both discs.) This was not a band born to play live, but they sure didn't need the help of overdubs etc. Real professional musicians, not hippie garage band fare. Long live the Flying Burrito Brothers.

why you say dat baggie smalls? i assume yr a purple riders fan too but what about the dillards? johnny darnell? if ya'll listene to the best end of early-mid '60s country, Gram's extreme mediocrity as an interpretive singer would be glaring... doesn't mean you still can't dig his high points & songwriting + the best burritos is quite fine indeed but still... still!! Gene Clark, Michael Nesmith, the Hillmen on one end, early peak Merle the other... ain't no Pha Terrell or Dick Haymes crooning neither. this might be #1 on WGAS nostalgia radio but doesn't even make the Top 100 here in Gritsville, home of the real shit, including

elder don clementine

station manager & music director

KGRT Border Radio

Hey, look everyone! Clem is raining on someone's parade for liking something he doesn't!

What a surprise! :rolleyes:

hey clem I'd say you're about right, the high points and the songs. Big highs $1000 wedding. i don't see them as surpassed by any of their imitators (see Velvet Underground), that's my standard for greatness. my two cents on the real shit? I probably wouldn't know it if it got tangled in the hair in my ugly old ears. No, not a purple riders fan, saw them past their glory with JG sitting in, I like maybe a tune or three on their first and jer's shred on Take a Letter Maria much later on. Clark and Nesmith I totally get (played No Other in my ear cross country this week), will check out these other recs, I preciate em I do. thanks

$15 bucks this week at J&R. Should have been a single disc with the best performances, since most all is duped on discs 1 & 2. Second disc is much more lively. Sound is pure and clean, in my opinion, for an essentially low-fi board. (Bear can do no wrong by me.) It is great to hear an intimate miking of Gram's voice (impressive effort on all the notes) and some very spaced out pedal steel. Bass is down low, enough to get the feel of it mildly shaking the ballroom. This is a great archival release, just to hear these excellent songs performed live, and by the songwriters in some cases. (They kill it on Sin City, on both discs.) This was not a band born to play live, but they sure didn't need the help of overdubs etc. Real professional musicians, not hippie garage band fare. Long live the Flying Burrito Brothers.

I agree it should have been 1 disc since the tunes are pretty much identical. It's low fi but Gram's voice is recorded well, but the only instruments you hear are bass, drums and pedal steel - so I am wondering where the other guitars and instruments are. It sounds a bit stark and spare and not as rich a the studio recordings sound to me anyway.

Gee, have I missed out on some fun.

I have extensive collections of both Gene Clark and Gram Parsons, though I am not much into the rating game for rock artists. I either enjoy them or I don't and shop accordingly.

Watch a few folks blow a gasket: I'm over 50 and own NO Beatles' albums

Let the fun begin!

Watch a few folks blow a gasket: I'm over 50 and own NO Beatles' albums

Let the fun begin!

That's generally a function of HOW FAR over 50 you are :P . My mother is 75 and doesn't own any Beatle albums ('course she doesn't own any Gene Clark either). I'm 52 and own them all. Let the fun continue. :rolleyes:

Edited by felser

53. For rock, I'd rather listen to Zappa. Although I consider the Beatles good songwriters, I don't care if I never hear "Hey, Jude," "Let It Be," "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" or other songs that grew tiresome in a hurry to me.

Agreed, but I still like to hear "She Loves You", "There's A Place", "We Can Work It Out", "Day Tripper", etc. The old stuff, before they got "enlightened" and became "artistes". Sgt. Pepper's is one of the most overrated pieces of work ever. For 1967 albums, give me 'Goodbye and Hello', 'Younger Than Yesterday', 'Forever Changes', 'Groovin'. For Beatles albums, give me 'Meet The Beatles'. 'Beatles 65', 'Help' etc. etc. Tell ya' the one I REALLY hope I never hear again - "The Long and Winding Road". Gag.

A review that first appeared at allaboutjazz.com on April 1, 2006:

Monk Meets the Beatles

Thelonious Monk | Sole Mountain Jazz (2006)

By Ken Dryden

For years it was rumored that Thelonious Monk was asked to do an album of Beatles tunes, but now we finally have proof that it was actually made. In the summer of 1971, the pianist was approached by an English businessman to make a record of Beatles tunes as a surprise birthday gift for his wife. Monk was hesitant to record adaptations of rock music, but was finally persuaded by the considerable fee offered to him, with the stipulation that only a single copy was to be pressed.

Monk played approximately twenty songs at home over a two-week period, then selected twelve he felt he could adapt. During a day off while in Great Britain as a part of the Giants of Jazz tour, he completed the recording in a single session.

Over thirty years after the recording was made, the Monk estate was asked about the possibility of commercially releasing this long-lost album. The master tapes, still in the hands of the session engineer, were found to be in excellent shape. After some lengthy negotiations, it was agreed that a limited edition of 5000 would be sold, though it would be issued by a European label.

Unlike many warmed-over jazz treatments of rock songs recorded during the 1960s, Thelonious Monk obviously took his rehearsals of these unfamiliar songs seriously. Monk’s choice of “Birthday” is an appropriate opener, played as a brisk stride arrangement with a dissonant countermelody. The pianist has a bit of fun with “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” by initially starting off with an angular chorus of Mary Lou Williams’ “In the Land of Oo-Blah-Dee.”

One of the most unlikely choices would seem to be “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” but Monk interprets it as a slow ballad, incorporating some humorous tremolos and revealing its hidden possibilities. “Yesterday” has long since become a jazz standard, though Monk’s version is both bittersweet and hilarious, partly because of his closing glissando cascading down the keyboard. The CD concludes with a whimsical take of “When I’m Sixty-Four,” followed by a single chorus of Monk’s theme song, “Epistrophy.”

Track listing: Birthday; In My Life; Norwegian Wood; Octopus’s Garden; Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da; Yesterday; I Should Have Known Better; I Want to Hold Your Hand; And I Love Her; Penny Lane; Things We Said Today; When I’m Sixty Four/Epistrophy.

Personnel: Thelonious Monk: piano.