Deep Blue Organ Trio

Soulstation1

Folk Music was discussed a little bit at the end of the thread http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...30&start=30 but it's good that you started a new thread because it deserves one of its own.

I'm enjoying it. Definitely recommended to Soulstream, ss1 and MG. It's not too greazy, but it's pretty soulful.

It has a unique sound, because on 7 of the 9 tracks Greg Rockingham's drums are mic'd very, very softly. The result is that you get the sound of drumsticks but the feeling of brushes. Rockingham is very good at keeping it swinging, but he's not a fancy drummer. He pretty much stays in the background.

I expected this to be a Bobby Broom album, but Broom has the spotlight on only about half of the tracks, and organist Chris Foreman has the spotlight on the other half. Foreman plays clean lines when he solos, using very few chords.

Apparently Broom likes the Beatles. On his last album Song and Dance he did Can't Buy Me Love, and on this one he does She's Leaving Home. Another familiar melody, even if you aren't an r&b listener, is the song Never Knew Love Like This Before. Also included is the Lee Morgan standard Ceora.

Folk Music is a solid effort without a bad track. It's easy to swallow for most of the public without being too commercial for jazz purists. Recommended.

Folk Music was discussed a little bit at the end of the thread http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...30&start=30

I expected this to be a Bobby Broom album...

No one grooves like Chris Foreman. He is "the man" as far as DBOT goes. :tup Preordered mine some time ago. Can't wait to hear this one!

Edited by Sundog

A nice collection of "mid" to "up" tempo groovers. I'd probably start with one of their other releases (Deep Blue Bruise or Goin' To Town) if your new to the group. Both offer a bit more variety. That said, this is a fine release which I'm sure I'll be enjoying for many months to come.

How does this compare with the two previous delmark releases? Incidientally a great cover photo on this cd,o taken by Mark Sheldon (a member of this board)

Thanks, it was a blast doing the shoot. The cover shot was Bobby's idea.....Chris was not hip to sitting in the grass but he survived. Bobby, Chris and Greg plus the sound engineer Josh were all cool and accomdating as I worked with them throughout the day. The cover shot was done on the grounds of the recording studio...the liner shots were done in the recording studion during the mixing process. Went from the studio to their gig that night.........nice, long day! I actually just got the cd this past Saturday....have listened to it several times.....very cool!

Mark~