question

baptizum

its a tough situation, and i dont have the answers for how to fix it. it cant be stopped, it cant be policed. but it is exposure, and at the very least exposure sells tickets, if not also albums.

I used to work with a guy named Little Joe Blue (you moght've heard of him if you're a blues geek), great guy, great musician, and top-knotch "street-skilled" businessman. His line when asked to work for "exposure" - "Hey, baby, too much exposure'll give you pneumonia!" :g

You're right, it's a tough situation either way, especially since the old promotional "networking" systems are drying up. I just try not to get too pontificational either way, and sometimes I actually succeed! ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and guys, just to emphasize to you that i really do supprot musician, as you may know radiohead just cut a new album. theyre offering the download for whatever price you want. pay nothing and its legal. well i did pay nothing for the download, because i want to hear the music asap and mp3s were the only way it was available; still is. however, on dec 3rd, ill have a discbox shipped out to me that i paid $80 for.

so i was presented with the opportunity to legally have free music and im still paying for it. a steep price too if i do say so myself.

There are legal channels for exposure. For instance, we have tens of thousands of views of our videos that are on YouTube, which I posted there. Those are there with my permission. I did not give my permission to have any of my CDs (organissimo or Root Doctor) on the torrents or usenet or whatever. However, taping live shows and trading those is fine.

But of course people do not respect the wishes of the artists, even people who claim to be "fans". If they can get it for nothing, they do. There are still those, like yourself, that enjoy the tactile experience of a physical product and there always will be, but I see those numbers dwindling with each passing generation of kids that grow up in our increasinly digital world.

What it does is force musicians like myself to do things cheaper, so we're not stuck with 1,000 discs. If we were a shit band that nobody liked and we had 1,000 discs, I would understand. But we're not; people dig us. We should be selling CDs at a decent clip. But we sell far more downloads (legally, through iTunes) than CDs these days and that's just the way the wind is blowing. What's better than buying mp3s? Downloading them for free!

So now I'm thinking about how I can still make records (because I love making records) but not lose my ass financially. All of our CDs have been recorded at a professional studio here in town with a top-notch, world class engineer at the helm and gear that costs more than most people's homes and cars put together. I love working with him, but we can't afford to anymore. More and more musicians are trying the "home studio" thing to save money and that's going to directly affect the quality of the product while at the same time putting world-class engineers like my friend out of business. Like Jsngry said, it affects the entire food chain.

I'm also thinking the next release will be on CD-R, printed up myself. Why press a bunch of CDs when all you need them for is to send to radio? People don't buy them, so why pay for them? In a month or less all the music is going to be on the internet for free anyway.

Nobody has the answers, but the mere fact is that if an artist does not consent to having his/her material on the internet for free, then that should be respected. Of course, a lot of things "should" happen in this world and they don't, so boo-hoo.

I'm the organist, yes. Member Joe G (Joe Gloss) is the guitarist, and member randissimo (Randy Marsh) is the drummer. I appreciate the iTunes purchase. We used to have a distribution deal with a company that supplied CDs to CDUniverse, Amazon.com and others but we never saw a cent from them and now they are basically in bankruptcy. There's $2000 we'll never see. PM me your address and I'll send you a real disc. I've got enough of them lying around.

Maybe Radiohead has the right idea; offer the "basic" product (ie, the music) free and then offer a physical alternative that is much cooler than just a standard CD in the jewel case.

I'm the organist, yes. Member Joe G (Joe Gloss) is the guitarist, and member randissimo (Randy Marsh) is the drummer. I appreciate the iTunes purchase. We used to have a distribution deal with a company that supplied CDs to CDUniverse, Amazon.com and others but we never saw a cent from them and now they are basically in bankruptcy. There's $2000 we'll never see. PM me your address and I'll send you a real disc. I've got enough of them lying around.

Maybe Radiohead has the right idea; offer the "basic" product (ie, the music) free and then offer a physical alternative that is much cooler than just a standard CD in the jewel case.

i think theyre definitely onto something. a lot of big names are claiming they will follow suit. it could change the way people look at mp3's. who knows.

though radiohead is going to offer just a plain jane cd at some point too. im only buying the discbox cos im a fanboy and its limited edition. plus it comes with extra songs!

Interesting article about the "Radiohead experiment": http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9811013-7...?tag=nefd.pulse

Of those who downloaded Radiohead's digital album, In Rainbows last month, about 62 percent walked away with the music without paying a cent, reported ComScore, an Internet research company.

yeah, i read that too.

they only used a small group of people, didnt account for people who were buying a discbox, and didnt get any information or affirmation from radiohead.

ill believe it IF the band ever says anything

Interesting article about the "Radiohead experiment": http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9811013-7...?tag=nefd.pulse

Of those who downloaded Radiohead's digital album, In Rainbows last month, about 62 percent walked away with the music without paying a cent, reported ComScore, an Internet research company.

A USB drive for $167 loaded with the studio albums? WHY???!!! Either I just don't get it, or they just don't get it.

I just read another article here: Clickety Clack

I liked this: "Until now, consumers could do little but bitch about the rip-off prices they were charged for music. After years of grumbling about greedy retailers and corrupt music moguls, here, finally, was a golden opportunity to change the future."

oh nice. they do have skillfullness. im gonna snatch it, but im more of a physical album kinda guy.

what about seasons? been lookin for that forever. cant find a copy throughout the furthest reaches of the internet. record stores cant order it. hell i cant even find an illegal copy of it

and oddly it seems to be his most acclaimed

Edited by baptizum

oh nice. they do have skillfullness. im gonna snatch it, but im more of a physical album kinda guy.

Thought you were a poor college student who downloads your music, then picks a handful to purchase legally. Or was that yesterday?

you have obviously only been half paying attention or choosing to retain what you like. im not going through this again. if youre that concerned, reread the thread.

This whole thread started because you wanted to know whether this board is open to illegal downloading (I assume so you could try to set up trades with other board members).

You yourself said you do it, and said you only purchase specific titles legally of the ones you've illegally acquired. When informed of board policy, you then said you wouldn't share copyrighted material here:

so i wont fucking share on this forum.

youre not going to stop me from doing so elsewhere. and youre not going to make me feel bad for doing so.

1. i download their music

2. if i enjoy it, i will, to the best of my ability, purchase it

3. if i dislike it, i delete it.

You sure don't sound like a "physical album guy" to me. You sound like one who occasionally purchases a CD, amongst your hundreds of illegal downloads.

What does "to the best of my ability" mean?? Does it mean those rare occasions when you actually have money to spend on a real cd? Being a "poor college student" probably means that doesn't happen that often.

Edited by Aggie87

all of these topics have been addressed.

if you would like to discuss something new or know the whereabouts of a copy of seasons, feel free to start a conversation with me

edit: sorry one hasnt been addressed;

i dont think its your business how much income i receive.

Edited by baptizum

My points were germane to your claim that you are a "physical album kinda guy" when you're clearly not.

I don't care how much you make. I never asked that.

You've never successfully justified your illegal activity, still.

clearly not huh? you know me pretty well aggie. and no you didnt ask. but you implied that i rarely have $12 to spend on an album. which any grown man would find to be an insult and would likely defend himself.

and actually, i can think of a few albums that i have downloaded that i havent and very well could have purchased. all my beatles albums. dont plan to buy them either unless i can find them used.

Honestly, I thought noone below the age of 25 was a "physical album kinda guy"... :rolleyes:

yeah thats probably right. i forgot you could apply distinct rules to huge age groups

dont all guys over 30 have ED? maybe theres a link

I'm over 30. Do I have ED? Hell yeah! I've got all six seasons on DVD!!!

5148FS69FVL._AA240_.jpg