How many Conn series do you own?

connoisseur series500

How many Conn Series (or TOJC, RVG equivalents do you own? I'm curious about how many of us are completists.

A complete list was given by Couw (I believe) back in April of this year. I printed it out and have counted that I own 69 out of the 99 issued (not including the 6 to be released this October which I've ordered). I also owned another 12 of them which I sold or traded because I didn't like them (just to prove that I'm not a completist. ;) )

Okay everyone, don't lay into me, but here's the list of the 12 that I didn't like and got rid of:

Wayne Shorter, "All Seeing Eye"

Grachan Moncur III, "Some Other Stuff"

Dizzy Reece, "Blues in Trinity"

Walter Davis Jr., "Davis Cup"

Louis Smith, "Here Comes Louis Smith"

Dodo Greene, "My Hour of Need"

Jackie Mclean, "Bout Soul"

Dizzy Reece, "Coming On" (actually, this session isn't bad at all)

Sonny Criss, "Complete Imperial Sessions"

Andrew Hill, "Lift Every Voice" (wish I had this one back)

Don Wilkerson, "Complete Blue Note Sessions"

Freddie Redd, "Redd's Blues"

Let us know which Conn's you guys got rid of as well. Be honest here!

Edited by connoisseur series500

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 Conns.

I'm not sure what you mean by TOCJ/RVG equivalents. If you mean titles from the Conn series that we instead have in TOCJ or RVG form, it would take me awhile to figure that out (but I'm sure I have quite a few, as I have always liked TOCJ's)

I can't specifically recall getting rid of any Conns (I don't often get rid of anything, which is why I have such storage problems :rolleyes: ). From your list, I have both Dizzy Reece titles, the Criss, Walter Davis, the Louis Smith and the Freddie Redd.

I'm not sure what you mean by TOCJ/RVG equivalents. If you mean titles from the Conn series that we instead have in TOCJ or RVG form, it would take me awhile to figure that out (but I'm sure I have quite a few, as I have always liked TOCJ's)

Yes, that's what I mean. But just count them as Conns.

PS - can't resist conn series - you GOT RID of BLUES IN TRINITY? WHAT were you thinking? ;):lol:

Every have a mental block regarding certain artists?

Well, I've got one with Dizzy Reece. I got rid of my "Blues in Trinity," "Comin On," and "Star Bright."

Just got a block against this artist; don't know why.

I'm not sure what you mean by TOCJ/RVG equivalents.  If you mean titles from the Conn series that we instead have in TOCJ or RVG form, it would take me awhile to figure that out (but I'm sure I have quite a few, as I have always liked TOCJ's)

Easier said than done. :) If somebody can post a link to the complete list (or paste in the list itself), I might be able to tackle the question....

I'm not sure what you mean by TOCJ/RVG equivalents.  If you mean titles from the Conn series that we instead have in TOCJ or RVG form, it would take me awhile to figure that out (but I'm sure I have quite a few, as I have always liked TOCJ's)

Easier said than done. :) If somebody can post a link to the complete list (or paste in the list itself), I might be able to tackle the question....

Don't know the technology of how to do it, but Couw posted a complete list on April 22 under the "discography" section.

Poor me, I have like two. :(  :wacko:  :blink:

Never too late to start!!

I'm always collecting doubles for trading purposes. Don't have any extras at the moment, but I'm sure I can keep an eye out for you.

Thanks Conn! I reluctantly have avoided them due to the larger price. I've seen some 2cd sets for like $27...I bet they're worth every penny. Eventually I will break down and invest, when finances permit.

I've actually spent a few hundred dollars in the last week, time to take a break for a month or so--just locked my credit card away to keep from impulse-buying. :g

Just curious... for those of you who are Conn completists- if a title is released as a Conn, and you already have it in another form, do you automatically get it? Do you keep the TOCJ (or whatever other incarnation you have it as) too? I used to base my BN buying decisions primarily on whether or not a new CD issue (from whatever series) had bonus material. Since I did buy a lot of early BN CD's (McMasters) to replace my vinyl, I have also bought some for the sake of sonic improvement. Anyway, I guess I've never even thought about being a completist within any CD series (my taste, and my wallet probably wouldn't allow for it regardless...)

Reg, thanks for the link. Up through the Series XIII of 2002, I have about 65 of the titles that have been released in the Conn series (27 actual Conns, and the majority of the others probably TOCJ's).

Edited by Jim R

Let's make it a riddle (I'm too lazy to count anyway). I have all the conn's which aren't available as either TOCJ or JRvG.

I also have the conn if it has extra tracks not on the Japanese version (be aware of the later JRvG's which do have the alt's and extra tracks!!!).

To make it even more complicated.....I don't have the conn as well if the extra track is only one or two alternate take(s).

The one who comes up with the number of conn's I have get's a nice price from me!!!

Cheers,

Reinier :P

Edited by Bluerein

Just curious... for those of you who are Conn completists- if a title is released as a Conn, and you already have it in another form, do you automatically get it? Do you keep the TOCJ (or whatever other incarnation you have it as) too? I used to base my BN buying decisions primarily on whether or not a new CD issue (from whatever series) had bonus material. Since I did buy a lot of early BN CD's (McMasters) to replace my vinyl, I have also bought some for the sake of sonic improvement. Anyway, I guess I've never even thought about being a completist within any CD series (my taste, and my wallet probably wouldn't allow for it regardless...)

Reg, thanks for the link. Up through the Series XIII of 2002, I have about 65 of the titles that have been released in the Conn series (27 actual Conns, and the majority of the others probably TOCJ's).

I've been picking up Conns since they first came out in 1994. For the most part - since I've been picking up regular BNs from about the same time, I have very few duplicates, and the duplicates are only with material on Mosaic sets.

Actually, the duplicates that I have were obtained fairly recently. I saw the list of Conns and realized I had all but a few that I had on Mosaic sets. That's when the completist in me took over and I figured I buy them anyway. I think I needed a couple of Andrew Hill and Horace Parlan discs so I figured what the heck..........

Of the October bunch, I've got the Rivers and Young on Mosaics and the earlier release of the Rouse. The Rouse, if I buy it, will be my first duplicate of an older BN disc. I'll probably end up picking all of them up.

Guest akanalog

not that anyone cares but for my own edification i did some research-

i can get pretty sell happy, but these are the ones i have had and sold. this is actually shocking to me how many conns i have had and got rid off since i started buying jazz CDs.

Ornette Coleman – The Empty Foxhole

Don Cherry – Symphony for Imrovisers

Bobby Hutcherson – Components

Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie (wish i had back)

Lou Donaldson – Sunny Side Up

Grant Green – Sunday Mornin’ (wish i had back)

Here Comes Louis Smith

Johnny Coles – Little Johnny C

Sonny Red – Out of the Blue

Jackie McLean – Swing, Swang, Swingin’

Art Blakey – Orgy in Rhythm Vols. 1 & 2

Clifford Jordan – Cliff Craft

Sonny Clark – Dial S for Sonny

Horace Parlan – Us Three

Freddie Hubbard – Goin’ Up

Baby Face Willette – Face to Face

Freddie Redd – Shades of Redd

Larry Young – Into Somethin’

Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring

Fred Jackson – Hootin’ and Tootin’

Sonny Clark – Sonny’s Crib

Hank Mobley – Third Season

Lee Morgan - Infinity

Grant Green – Blues for Lou (wish i had back)

Jimmy Smith – Six Views of the Blues

Art Blakey – Drums Around The Corner

Dizzy Reece – Comin’ on

Don Cherry – Complete Communion

Booker Ervin – Structurally Sound

Grant Green – First Session

Hank Mobley – Thinking of Home

then the ones i still own:

Andrew Hill - Judgement

Jackie McLean – Destination Out!

Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia

Andrew Hill – Smokestack

Lee Morgan – The Procrastinator

Grant Green - Solid

Wayne Shorter – Etcetera

Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns

Hank Mobley – A Slice of the Top (which i would have sold if it wasn't scuffed up)

Jack Wilson – Something Personal (which i am considering selling)

Bobby Hutcherson – Stick-up!

Booker Ervin – The In-between (which i am considering selling)

Bobby Hutcherson - Medina/Spiral

Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (which i would have sold if it wasn't scuffed up)

Andrew Hill – Grass Roots (which i would have sold if it wasn't scuffed up)

Jackie McLean – Vertigo

Andrew Hill – Lift Every Voice

Jackie McLean – Jacknife

i do not know what this research shows...except i got really sick of the more hard boppish side of blue note.

With the Conn series, I'm completist - I will rebuy stuff that I had in other formats and get rid of the other format (I've sold many TOCJ's back...not to start a whole other argument, but I find the sound of many TOCJ's is vastly overrated, particularly the older ones from the earlier 90's). I also don't mind duplicating stuff that had come out in other formats, like Mosaic boxes, since again the Conn usually (but not always) comes out after and sounds a little better.

The thing that makes me so enjoy the Conns is that this is often music that is never again going to appear on CD in the U.S., or at least for a long time. Even the "worst" Conns in terms of overall quality - Dodo Greene, for example - have plums and features that make them worth picking up (Ike Quebec solos on that one, for example). I do wish Malcolm Addey would get involved with remastering these though, rather than all of them being McMastered.

I have them all except for the Monterose disc, anyone able to help me with that one? I'm not a completist since I do plan on getting rid of that god awful Dodo Greene disc!

If anyone is interested I do have extra copies of Andrew Hill - Grass Roots, Jimmy Smith - Softly As A Summer Breeze and Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole, all are sealed.

i do not know what this research shows...except i got really sick of the more hard boppish side of blue note.

That would have shocked me a few months ago, but I'm beginning to understand now... ;)

Anyway, only 16 here. But I'm a notorious cheapskate; what can I say? :g

(But Paul, you got rid of Sonny's Imperial Sessions? :o )

27!! I plan on getting the Morgan, Young and Hill Conns when they come out next month to collection bring the total to 30. The ones I had passed on that are no longer available outnumber than the ones I have sold, and those I do not miss much.

I never got into the All Seeing Eye but am looking forward to checking it out again as an RVG. I have been on the fence about getting rid of the Coles Conn, but this has some good playing by Hendu, but I'd gladly swap with someone for Third Season, Steppin Out or Stop and Listen!!! <_<

Edited by Jazzdog