Santa Claus

I didn't grow up believing in Santa due to my parents. My dad always said he didn't want to lie to us and wanted us to always have faith in him that he was telling us the truth at all times. There's something to say for that.

But my wife loves the concept, so Zora believes in Santa. I guess it's fun, but I do worry about what she'll think when she finds out he is not real.

My father had a huge warehouse where he would store our gifts and the gifts of various friends of the family.

Note: Only the warehouse was huge. The quantity of gifts, not so much.

Anyway, he was dropping off something after hours on Christmas Eve at another family's house and they had him back the truck up to the basement door to unload whatever it was. The next day the kids saw the tracks in the grass that the truck had made and thought they were sleigh tracks. We all did. The greatest scientific minds of Miss Waithe's first grade class declared that there was now empirical evidence of Santa Claus' sleigh, in addition to various half-eaten cookies and consumed glasses of milk (was never sure if we left those out as a thank-you gift or as bait).

Plus one year I heard Santa swearing in the living room just before dawn. Not only was he thoughful enough to put the training wheels on my bike but he used my father's tools to do it - and left them next to the tree.