Really, Where Have I Known You Before is where it would have been nice for it to have ended, or at least for it to have not gone any further down that particular road. That's a nice record, actually, one might even call it "definitive" and/or the high-water mark of that style of Corea's writing, being still lyrical with the wonkiness used as accent rather than basis.

But it didn't stop there, did it....

But let me say again that a differnet guitarist, one less eager to let Chick "showcase his skills" or whatever, might be cause for interest here.

But if that ws gonna happen, it would have ahppened a looong time ago, eh? Chick apparently likes writing all this crazyass wonky bombasticism.

Is that the point at which it became Return to Whatever? As a group, they certainly lost me somewhere along the line.

I think Return To Forever was the first lp with the original group with Airto, Flora and Joe Farrell. Then with Light As A Feather it became Chick Corea and Return To Forever and Airto, Flora and Joe were soon gone. I'm thinking big ego and band leader BS came into play - but that's just my suspicion. At the time the grapevine had it that Chick was a miser with the bread.

The RTF with DiMeola, Clarke and White was a loud rock band in concert, and attracted rock fans who did not go to jazz concerts. I saw them twice in the 1975-76 school year. It was a calculated attempt to get at the rock audience and its money.

In that context, Al DiMeola was fine for that purpose, as he played loud and simply, but fast. The rockers in the audience liked that. They could follow everything he was playing, and could also find it exciting in its speed and volume, much like listening to any rock lead guitarist with the major rock groups of the time.

In that context, Al DiMeola was fine for that purpose, as he played loud and simply, but fast. The rockers in the audience liked that. They could follow everything he was playing, and could also find it exciting in its speed and volume, much like listening to any rock lead guitarist with the major rock groups of the time.

Except much less interesting.

Much.

When I saw this group in the spring of 1976, their first set was loud and electric, and their second set was all acoustic. I don't remember many specifics, other than Al DiMeola noodling over an acoustic guitar with a quizzical look on his face, and Stanley Clarke playing a flashy, crowd pleasing solo on acoustic bass, which he finished by moving his hands from the very top to the very bottom of the bass, down to the pegstand. That got a big ovation.

When I saw this group in the spring of 1976, their first set was loud and electric, and their second set was all acoustic. I don't remember many specifics, other than Al DiMeola noodling over an acoustic guitar with a quizzical look on his face,

That wasn't quizzical, that was a clueless look.

• 4 weeks later...

When I saw this group in the spring of 1976, their first set was loud and electric, and their second set was all acoustic. I don't remember many specifics, other than Al DiMeola noodling over an acoustic guitar with a quizzical look on his face, and Stanley Clarke playing a flashy, crowd pleasing solo on acoustic bass, which he finished by moving his hands from the very top to the very bottom of the bass, down to the pegstand. That got a big ovation.

I saw them in the same time frame. I recall Corea getting up from the keyboard and doing some kind of dumbed-down flamenco dancing to the screaming delight of the crowd. It was fun for the kids, of which I was one.

I was a big RTF fan in high school, but as I moved out toward "real jazz" most of the fusion stuff lost its interest. I still enjoy the pre-electric albums, "Return to Forever" and "Light As A Feather," which is iconic for me because it was a key album in my discovery of jazz.

Stanley Clarke just released an album which, to judge by the review I read, is a throwback to his mid-70's solo albums. Hey, these guys have careers to manage. I don't blame them for milking late-boomer nostalgia. But I think I'll give the concerts a miss.