Ahmed Abdul-Malik

baptizum

16 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Agreed!  I have five of his albums, but I think I have spun this one less than others, in part because I haven't had it as long as the others.  

I think the RCA album is still my favorite of the bunch.  

I'm missing 'The Eastern Moods' and 'Spellbound' on LP.  One day. 'The Music of' on New Jazz is my favourite.

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm missing 'The Eastern Moods' and 'Spellbound' on LP.  One day. 'The Music of' on New Jazz is my favourite.

We have Jazz Sahara and Spellbound on CD.  On LP, we have Sound of Africa, the Music Of, and East Meets West.  Don't think we have Eastern Moods at all.  We will spin The Music Of later in your honor!  We will be pairing it with pizza, if that is not too much of a cultural mishmash!  :lol:

Now spinning Spellbound, paired with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  

21 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

We have Jazz Sahara and Spellbound on CD.  On LP, we have Sound of Africa, the Music Of, and East Meets West.  Don't think we have Eastern Moods at all.  We will spin The Music Of later in your honor!  We will be pairing it with pizza, if that is not too much of a cultural mishmash!  :lol:

Now spinning Spellbound, paired with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  

I'm honoured. Buon Appetito! 

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm honoured. Buon Appetito! 

Thank you!  Spellbound is much closer to straight ahead jazz, with occasional Eastern touches sprinkled in.  Jazz Sahara, on the other hand, is much more middle eastern, and the main jazz element is Johnny Griffin.  

I'm eager to hear where The Music Of lands on the spectrum.  

11 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thank you!  Spellbound is much closer to straight ahead jazz, with occasional Eastern touches sprinkled in.  Jazz Sahara, on the other hand, is much more middle eastern, and the main jazz element is Johnny Griffin.  

I'm eager to hear where The Music Of lands on the spectrum.  

Well, I shan't spoil the surprise

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Well, I shan't spoil the surprise

So I listened to this LP for the first time in a while.  This album seems to switch from track to track between eastern and jazz, although there is some crossover.

I forgot that "La Ibkey" is on this album.  I first heard this on a Prestige comp titled The Jazz Soul of Cleopatra.  In the 1990s, when I used to DJ, this track was often included in my Tantric Textures sets.