BFT 54 disc two discussion

Big Al

8 “Too late now” by a swinging guitarist-led band. Oh and here comes a tenor player I should know. Although it’s short, this one is really all there – everything it needs to be.

Surprised by this. Didn't think of Smith or Quinichette - not that I've heard much of either. Lessons to be learned there.

It's not Quinichette. I'm really surprised no one's ID'd the tenor!

9 This really not getting to me. Can I hear Freddie Hubbard in the ensemble? Now he’s soloing, I don’t think it’s him, just someone like him, but less forthright. Piano player could be someone like Cedar Walton. I don’t listen to much music like this and this track really makes it clear why.

Now I know what this is, I just want to say, "with knobs on".

:huh: ??????

11 Johnny Hodges – is he just breezing along with the breeze? That’s Duke Ellington on piano. Don’t know the trumpet player – well, I almost certainly do, but can’t dredge up a name. And a guitarist – that guy who wrote “Gemini”, whatever his name is. Oh and Duke’s piano playing ALWAYS kills me when he’s doing this sort of thing. The trumpet player’s second solo is a blast; I don’t know his work well, but I’ll guess Roy Eldridge. Wunnerful!!

Is this from the LP “Side by side”?

Ah, so it's Sweets.

VERY Sweets! Totally agree with you about his second solo!

13 That JBs beat! Fred Wesley!!!!! I’m sure I’ve got this, but, without the intro/hook, well, they do sound a lot alike. I’m going to stick my neck out and say these are the solos from “Funky drummer” which I think you only got on the album “In the jungle groove”. Nicely faded! After going out for a fag, I decided it must be one of the several versions of either “Pass the peas” or “Hot pants”.

"Pass the peas", then. Interested to know if it's any of the versions I've got.

Damn, you are THE closest anyone's gotten. And yes, it is an edit I did myself. It's the cousin to "Pass the Peas."

15 That pianist is effin’ RAVISHIN’!!! I almost recognise him. Is this just piano/guitar/bass? I love this cut! I’m looking forward to hearing who this is…

Ah, Vince - no wonder I almost recognised him - used to have a few of his albums in the sixties.

Ain't it grand? :wub:

Definitely regret not giving this a go beforehand. Nice bunch of stuff, including a few old mates. Thanks.

MG

Hope I haven't got any of the bold bits mixed up, or this post will look crazy.

MG

Nope, it all matched up perfectly! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and glad you got your guesses in!

Answers tomorrow. I promise!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 That JBs beat! Fred Wesley!!!!! I’m sure I’ve got this, but, without the intro/hook, well, they do sound a lot alike. I’m going to stick my neck out and say these are the solos from “Funky drummer” which I think you only got on the album “In the jungle groove”. Nicely faded! After going out for a fag, I decided it must be one of the several versions of either “Pass the peas” or “Hot pants”.

"Pass the peas", then. Interested to know if it's any of the versions I've got.

Damn, you are THE closest anyone's gotten. And yes, it is an edit I did myself. It's the cousin to "Pass the Peas."

OK, so it's "Mo peas" from either "Doin' it to Death" or the complete track on "Funky good time: the anthology". I haven't got "Doin' it to death", only "Funky good time", so I don't know which bits of the complete track were edited out of the original.

Oh, and I found out why I was having so much trouble hearing some of this stuff - the volume on the machine itself (not on the different players) was turned halfway down. My wife must have done that while I wasn't looking :( I thought I was going deaf! Or that the speakers were collapsing.

MG

9 This really not getting to me. Can I hear Freddie Hubbard in the ensemble? Now he’s soloing, I don’t think it’s him, just someone like him, but less forthright. Piano player could be someone like Cedar Walton. I don’t listen to much music like this and this track really makes it clear why.

Ah, so you need this translated into American? I can't - don't know american well enough.

It's a kids thing.

"Your ma's got a fat arse!"

"Same to you, with knobs on."

MG

Ah, so you need this translated into American? I can't - don't know american well enough.

It's a kids thing.

"Your ma's got a fat arse!"

"Same to you, with knobs on."

MG

That makes sense! :tup