A guitar question!

Alexander Hawkins

I wonder if any guitarists (or non-guitarists who know the answer!) can give me a bit of help, please?

I'm looking to buy my brother a guitar, and the dealer has just phoned me asking whether I want a rosewood or walnut neck. Is this a purely cosmetic thing, or is there some acoustic importance in having one or the other?

Sorry about the inane question - I guess you worry about these things when spending a bit of money!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume they are talking about the fingerboard? I do know that in the case of some electric guitars, it really can make a difference to the "feel" and the way the guitar "plays" to the guitarist. For example Hendrix used a rosewood (or ebony?) fingerboard Stratocaster for some time, and then changed to the maple fingerboard, viewing this as an improvement for his style (my impression from reading.) I've only ever had I believe ebony wood fingerboards on guitars that I have owned; I can IMAGINE that a slick maple finished fingerboard would make a difference, or a mahogony figerboard. . . .

I wonder if Jazzbo is right -- the real question might be about fingerboards. I'm not sure about the difference between rosewood and walnut, but I've heard that maple fingerboards tend to make the guitar sound much "brighter" than those with darker wood.

For instance, I have a strat with a maple fingerboard that definitely sounds brighter (or less "mellow") than my Heritage H-575 with rosewood. I think this has as much to do with pickups, design (solid vs. hollow-body), etc., as it does with fingerboards. However, the Strat definitely plays "faster" and "easier", at least to me.

I'd bet if you played two identical guitars, with the only difference being maple vs. rosewood, the maple would be brighter.

What kind of guitar are you buying?? B)

I own a Telecaster with a maple neck and have had other guitars in the past with Rosewood necks. There is definitely a difference in the underlying feel. Maple necks are considered to be "faster. Actually more slippery in feel is a good way to describe it. I find that the rosewood neck absorbs more perspiration and as a result, makes it slightly easier to control. Others may feel differently, but that's been my perception. There probably are differences sound-wise as well, although sound is more the result of differences between make and model. I've played Fender Strats with both maple and rosewood necks and sound-wise, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Red,

It's great that you're getting him a Telecaster. I love Telecasters! Heck, I've got 8 of 'em. Have you decided what model of Telecaster you're getting him (Squire, Fender Standard ???) - One of the other forums I spend time on is the telecaster forum (www.telecaster.com). If you aren't going to get a Fender product, I have some good sources of telecaster copies. If I can be of any assistance, please ask.

As far as the fretboard material. Your choices are going to be rosewood or maple. Some makers offer ebony and other exotic woods, but rosewood and maple are the standards. I used to think there was a big tonal difference between rosewood and maple, but I don't feel that way as much anymore. These days, I'd say in a telecaster the pickups are about 70% of the sound, the body about 20%, and the fretboard material about 10%, that's just my opinion. For the fretboard wood, I think it's more of a case of the feel of the neck. I'd get him what he likes best. If he's into traditional country, then I'd say maple. If he's into alternative, then rosewood is cool too. Either way, I think you can't go wrong.

:rsmile:

Ralphie Boy and Africa Brass - thanks for taking the time to give this information, it's fantastic. I think he'd like the 'US standard' model. One thing I'm trying to figure at the moment is the difference between the 'US Standard' and the regular product which I see advertised over here in the UK. Is it an authenticity thing?

He started the guitar a couple of years ago, and having never shown huge amounts of interest in playing an instrument before, has taken to it amazingly. He's beginning to get really pretty good, and I want to encourage it as much as possible!

Thanks again for everything :tup !

Fender makes a bunch of telecasters.

The Fender Standard Telecaster -

This is made in Mexico. This is a real Fender guitar and is a real deal for the money. Unfortunately I only know what the US prices are. In the US, the list price on this guitar is $499 and you can usually get it for $349. I don't know if this is the case where you are, but here, when buying musical instruments, I expect to pay at least 30% off of list price. I usually get 40% off list price. The MIM (made in Mexico) Standard Telecaster only comes with a maple fretboard.

The Fender American Series Telecaster -

This used to be called the American Standard, so this might be what your brother is talking about. The average list price on these are around $1200, depending on the finish (some finishes are more expensive), street price is usually around the mid 800's. You have a choice of rosewood or maple fretboard on these.

There's a pretty wide range in price between these two. Here's some suggestions for models that fit in-between.

Fender Highway 1 Telecaster - (List price - $856 / street price $600) This is made in the US, but it has parts made in Mexico and overseas. It's more of a vintage style telecaster than the American Series, since it has the vintage style bridge. The finish on these isn't as nice as the standard models (hence the lower price than the American Series). I've heard good reviews of these. One good thing about this model and the ones previously mentioned is that they have a modern neck radius. The fretboard is a little bit flatter than the reissues of the 50's and 60's models. Personally, I like the old style fretboard, but its' one of those personal preference kind of things. I think you have a choice of rosewood or maple fretboard on these.

Here are some models from the Classic Series that are made in Mexico. I think these are great for the money. I have a couple myself.

If I was going to pick one, I'd probably pick the:

Fender Muddy Waters Tribute Telecaster (List price $899 / street price $620) This is made in Mexico, but it has US components and pickups. I have heard great things about this model. This one has a rosewood fretboard. It's like a 50's Telecaster (with an Ash body) mixed with a 60's neck with a modern fretboard radius. This is good value.

Fender Classic 50's or 60's Telecasters (List prices $899 / street prices $620). These are two separate models. The 50's has an ash body with a maple neck and the sixtes has an alder body with a rosewood neck. The 50's is going to have that classic honky tonk telecaster sound, while the sixties model will be a little tamer, but it still sounds nice. I would also highly recommend both of these.

I don't know if your brother is interested in these two, since they are not the traditional Telecaster style, but 2 more models from the Classic Series that I'd recommend are the '69 Telecaster Thinline reissue and the '72 Telecaster Custom. The '72 Telecaster Custom is great for that early 70's Rolling Stones sound, while the '69 Thinline is also a really nice Telecaster. I've got one and I love it. Both of these are similar in price to the previous two models I mentioned.

I know these are quite pricey. If you were planning on spending less, I have more recommendations for you.

P.S. check www.fender.com for pictures and info.

Edited by AfricaBrass

There's one Telecaster I forgot.

The Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster (List price is $699 / Street price $450) - This is a made in Mexico Telecaster. It's similar to the mexican Standard model, but it has an extra pickup (stratocaster) and has vintage tuning keys and a vintage style bridge. I would also highly recommend this model. If my choice was between the MIM Standard and the Nashville, I'd take the Nashville.

Good luck!

Here's a picture of the Nashville Telecaster:

Maple necks are considered to be "faster. Actually more slippery in feel is a good way to describe it. I find that the rosewood neck absorbs more perspiration and as a result, makes it slightly easier to control.

Hope you all don't mind a slight side-tracking here -- this is all very interesting! I totally second what Ralphie Boy says about maple (slippery!) vs. rosewood, although my experience is entirely with bass guitar. Rosewood neck on a Vox Panther versus maple neck on a G&L (kind of Leo Fender's own knockoff of a Fender Precision) -- both 4-string. The other difference between these two necks on my basses is that the maple is definitely lacquered/varnished, whereas the rosewood seems to have a rubbed oil finish (if any at all). Seems like this would account for the difference in absorbing perspiration -- the rosewood is unsealed and remains porous. Maybe the maple needs to be varnished to keep the grain from rising in response to perspiration, environmental humidity? Anyway, with these basses the difference in tone is really noticeable: rosewood warmer with "sweet spots" that resonate differently on certain notes (don't notice "dead spots"), maple brighter and entirely even resonance on all tones.

(The Vox is much smaller and lighter, can't get an ULTRAbass sound on the E string -- but the rosewood neck seems to compensate for the lack of heft in a lot of ways).

Anyway Red -- very nice of you! hope your brother enjoys his present. And thanks AB for the lowdown on all the Telecasters, and Joe G for that guitar info site.

I agree with Ralphie Boy and Maren about maple. I like that it's quicker too. Maren mentions G&L. I have a few G&Ls and they are amazing guitars. You might want to check out a used G&L or one of their Korean made Tribute models.

Joe, thanks for the kind words! I'm trying to find more time to jump in the pool around here. It's good to hear from you.

YES, G and Ls are among my favorite guitars; one of my favorite guitarists (Deborah Holeman) has one of the Strat types and I loved to play it when I could. I've got an Ovation Breadwinner now, which is a totally different animal. . . I love it's (rosewood fingerboard? sure isn't maple!) neck---it is one fine neck!

Edited by jazzbo

My own 2 cents. On the maple vs rosewood, I definately get a quicker feel on the maple neck. Don't know why, but I always slow down when I have to switch to rosewood.

Being a true G&L believer, I've got to suggest checking out their Tele knockoff. Leo Fender knew what he was doing.

I'm speaking as a guy who has been playing Fender Precision Basses since the early 60s. I think that perhaps the Rosewood (being more porous) eventually absorbed grease and various other FUNK from the player as time went on. The necks gradually became smoother, greasier, and ...well....groovier to play. Hence - you had ONE of the LEGIT reasons why vintage Fenders from say 62 thru 65 were so highly valued. Most of the Fenders before that were Maple necks and THOSE necks felt good and sounded good. They sounded good because they were one piece - no glued on fingerboard. SOLID sound. Maybe some Fender historian has the statistics, but I don't think there were many Maple necks made between the early 60s and the early or mid 70s. Guys like Jamerson, Rainey, Jemmott mostly used basses with rosewood necks.

Edited by Harold_Z

It's cool that there are so many G&L fans here. I've got 4 G&L's and 1 of their Tribute guitars. I love them all.

Harold Z brings up a good point about rosewood. I have American reissues of the '62 Telecaster and the '62 Jazzmaster. The rosewood on their necks is much less porous than the rosewood on my regular American series Stratocaster. They play pretty quick. Almost like maple. Harold Z is correct that there weren't many maple necks made during the early to mid sixties, but by the late sixties, Fender was offering both rosewood and maple as an option. The maple necks were different than the fifties ones in that they now used a maple cap fretboard instead of a 1 piece neck like the fifties guitars.

Red, I hope we haven't confused you too much, but thanks for bringing this topic up. I can talk guitars all day. :D

Let me compliment you on your choice of guitars. Teles are great all round guitars. As far as your question goes regarding fret board materials. I don't disagree with anything that's been said, however, I really doubt that you will hear any major differences in tone. Remember tone it's mostly in the fingers not the fretboard. B)

I've own, or have owned a number of Teles. My personnal favorites are the "52 tele reissue" and the chambered maghony "Telesonic" with DeArmond pickups. I very rarely play these guitars any more since I got my jazz box, however, I just can't part with them. I've also been lucky enough to play various vintage teles including a real 52, 62, Esquires, and various thinlines. These are amazing guitars. Leo got it right the first time! And for the record I like my tele with a maple fret board. It looks cooler! B)

• 4 weeks later...