Digression thread: Coherence is overrated

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Listening to the radio this morning on the way to work, there was this call in competition where you have to guess who the famous person is. They give you a clue, someone calls in and has a guess, they get it wrong, then they give another clue, someone else calls in and has a guess etc until someone gets it.

So the clues given at the stage we were listening were:

- He had been a private in the army (someone guessed Forrest Gump lol)

- He lived to be 90.

- He worked at a gas station and sold insurance before coming up with the thing that made him famous.

So this guy calls up, he was going to guess Elvis but the previous person had already guessed that and realised that he didn't live to 90 anyway. So the hosts take pity on him and tell him to take a wild stab in the dark. The guy has no idea, and you can hear in his voice that he can't even be bothered thinking of anyone random, so slim are the odds that it would be right. My wife, who was sitting next to me, says, "the KFC guy!" and i'm like, slightly contemptuously, "seriously? The clues are so obscure, it could literally be anybody."

So anyway the caller is umming and ahhing and blindly guesses "aaaah Colonel Sanders?" and what do you know it was the right answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...