when did Jack DeJohnette start using Sonor kits?

CJ Shearn

just wondering, b/c his overall basic drum sound hasn't change all the much, nice thick snare sound with some resonance, dry cymbals etc........ In the inside liner photo to Freddie Hubbard's "In Concert" Volume 1 it looks like a Sonor logo on the kick, did he start using Sonor's in the early 70's?

Jack DeJohnette is my man! Absolutely my favorite drummer! Part of the reason he is so deep on the drums is because he also plays piano very well and has a great sense of composition.. I'm going to attend two shows in April Jack is doing with Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin.. Jack has been playing Sonors since the early 70's...

Edited by randissimo

really jazzhound? the Trio Beyond record has some of the finest DeJohnette playing I've heard in years and IMO is probably my favorite playing of his, its fiery, sensitive and creative. I brought the "Setting Standards" box to work today, and since its my first time through that material I had to laugh out loud listening to his solo on "Flying Part 2", how he begins soloing while playing in and around the pulse, and then how the intensity just boils over. Other Jarrett performances I really like are "Autumn Leaves" on "Still Live", Jack just kills on that, "Poinciana" from "Whisper Not" and "Straight no Chaser" from the recent album. I also really love his playing on "One Night With Blue Note Preserved Vol. 2" especially "Appointment in Ghana" (ouch! he really spurs on Jackie Mac and Woody in a big way) and "Broadside" with Bennie Wallace.

I definitely agree Randy about Jack, and one criticism I never understood is the complaint he over plays, he is a busy drummer sure, but he plays melodic ideas across the kit and plays with amazing sensitivity on ballads, take "When I Fall in Love" by Jarrett for example. Its not like Jack overplays on the level as say Dave Weckl used to in the past. Plus Jack always expands his scope, I like the way he uses loops on "Camp Meeting" by Bruce Hornsby for example.

Allen, what was this "encounter"? was he buying music you didn't expect? he's rather eclectic and also seems to be one of the coolest cats around. I asked Larry Coryell between sets a few weeks ago, how its like playing with Jack, and he said "it's like riding a wild horse, it's fantastic!"