The Jazz Baroness on the BBC

BillF

Sorry I missed this--she just came up in conversation last week with my friend who writes our early-music show, Harmonia. Does the BBC archive, at least temporarily?

EDIT: just noticed JohnS's "listen again" reference--I assume that means either archiving or re-airing. Guess I should just go to the site and take a gander, eh?

Edited by ghost of miles

Heard this at lunchtime in the car whilst in transit (YES !!). A fabulous tribute to this remarkable lady by what sounds to be her neice (or great neice?) from the Rothschild family. Even mentions the 'rumour' of the Bird accidental killing by Blakey ! :blink:

Best recollection - the first time she heard bebop apparently (Gillespie) was on the radio when flying a Lancaster bomber over North Africa during WW2 (presumably a ferry mission for the Free French).

Edited by sidewinder

Great show -- choked me up unexpectedly a couple of times e.g. Monk's verbal intro to "Pannonica," followed by the piece. One error: It's said that Nica's New Jersey apartment was formerly that of Josef von Sternberg, famous film director and husband of Marlene Dietrich. Von Sternberg and Dietrich were not husband and wife.