Juan Tizol, composer (and player)

ghost of miles

While making a jazz mix CD-R the other day I came to a point where I wanted some haunting, slightly melancholic/dreamy late-30's Ellington tune, and happened upon "Night Song" (from CHRON. CLASSICS 1939 V. 2) as my choice. It was a Cootie Williams small-group tune, with Juan Tizol as co-composer on that particular track. I realized that I tend to like just about every Tizol composition that I hear, but that I can--off the top of my head--identify only three: "Caravan," "Pyramid," and "Night Song." Any other fans of Tizol's work as either composer or player?

More compositions by Tizol:

-Perdido (Tizol-Drake-Lengsfelder)

-Bakiff (Tizol-Galley-Schwartz)

-Conga Brava (Tizol-Ellington)

-Have a heart (TIzol-Mills)

-Jubilesta (Tizol-Ellington-Mills)

-Lost in meditation (Tizol-Ellington-Mills or Singer)

-Moon over Cuba (Tizol-Ellington)

-Moonlight fiesta (Tizol-Mills)

BTW: I dig his playing as well!

Well there's hardly a Ellington-Strayhorn-ian I don't dig very much. . . I think that is the safest thing for me to say. Juan was special with that unique sound and that elegant conception. I truly dig his recording with the Nat Cole Trio (plus). Classic stuff that shows of his special sound and style.

More compositions by Tizol:

-Perdido (Tizol-Drake-Lengsfelder)

-Bakiff (Tizol-Galley-Schwartz)

-Conga Brava (Tizol-Ellington)

-Have a heart (TIzol-Mills)

-Jubilesta (Tizol-Ellington-Mills)

-Lost in meditation (Tizol-Ellington-Mills or Singer)

-Moon over Cuba (Tizol-Ellington)

-Moonlight fiesta (Tizol-Mills)

BTW: I dig his playing as well!

Just goes to show you what an underrated composer Irving Mills was...

Juan Tizol is further proof of Duke Ellington's genius. When Duke added Tizol to his band and had him alongside Tricky Sam Nanton and Lawrence Brown, all musicians with different sound, approach and personalities, he created the most astounding trombone section ever.

There is an intriguing side to the Ellington-Tizol connection which I have read very little about (apart from a few stories about the Tizol-Mingus battle) is the fact that he was the lone white musician in a black band.

Tizol was also one of the most interesting contributor to the Ellington song book.

'Moonlight Fiesta' is at the very top among the great Ellington's banc compositions.

Not listed among the Tizol tunes in the thread is another classic 'Pyramid'. One more haunting Tizol tune.

There is an intriguing side to the Ellington-Tizol connection which I have read very little about (apart from a few stories about the Tizol-Mingus battle) is the fact that he was the lone white musician in a black band.

This is a really tricky can of worms to be opening, but given the ethniophobia times, Tizol would not be considered strictly "white" in may circles since he was Puerto Rican. Similarly, Barney Bigard was of Creole ancestry, a racial category that by definition implies so-called "mixed blood".

Still, Duke's addition of thes two players plays into Jelly Roll Morton's "recipie" for jazz that includes "the Spanish tinge" as well as the French/Creole flavoring of New Orleans.

I realized that I tend to like just about every Tizol composition that I hear, but that I can--off the top of my head--identify only three:  "Caravan," "Pyramid," and "Night Song."  Any other fans of Tizol's work as either composer or player?

:P:D:lol:

Oops, read thru the threads too quickly when I returned to the Board this morning after a month-long departure. I hope Ghost of Miles will not think I do not pay attention to his posts...

I must have been lost in meditation.