Universal France Reissues

king ubu

Ubu,

Yes, a Mosaic Select would be grand! It would give more people a chance to hear the scant appearance of Jean-Louis Chautemps on tenor from these sessions. I know that Chautemps matured into a player with a greater mastery of the horn after these recordings, but the February 1956 date catches him at an awkward, but nevertheless intriguing, angle — loping eighth notes, a dusty tone. I actually quite like it. Dig the short (2:29) "Anticipated Blues" — perfect for putting on one's answering machine, or at the end of a mixed tape.

The original 1988 Polygram France cd's of these recordings have always sounded good to me. Has anyone A/B'ed the '88 Volume 1 with this latest edition?

• 6 months later...

Reviving this old thread - I recently got Lewis' "Private Concert" and I'm deeply impressed! The more I hear of his music and playing the better I think he was. A complete musician.

ubu

I also picked this one up from 2001, for next to nothing, and it's a very nice recording. Recommended.

B0000AQJPD.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very cool that the original cover for this session is finally being used. Too bad that a Complete Chet Baker Barclay Recordings package couldn't be put together. Volumes 3 and 4 from this series are exceedingly rare.

and too bad they forgot the print on the back of the digipac... there's only numbers and times and no titles...