Hadley Caliman - Gratitude

randyhersom

I have not heard the entire session yet, but here's a review:

MUSIC REVIEW:

Hadley Caliman, Gratitude

82499.jpg

by Adam Greenberg, All Music Guide

For his first album as a leader in a couple of decades, Hadley Caliman returns with a bang. Though released by Seattle's Origin label, it's not strictly Northwest jazz, and though containing a couple of players from the California scenes, it's not strictly West Coast jazz. It's something different, tangible, with ties to the classics but explorations well into the new beyond. For someone who's played with everyone from Dexter Gordon to Santana, perhaps this shouldn't be surprising. The album opens with "Back for More," a new item from trumpeter Thomas Marriott with some nice parallel lines and a driving rhythm section. "This Is New" provides vibist Joe Locke with his first of many opportunities to stretch out on a good extended solo that does what few vibe players are apt to pull off in this era — maintain excitement while not succumbing to a pure show of force. By the time the album gets to "Invitation," there's a sense of Coltrane in Caliman's playing — not mimicry, but certainly some influence. "Comencio" takes advantage of a shiny Latin groove as a backdrop for more horn interaction between Caliman and Marriott and an excellent drum solo courtesy of Joe La Barbera. "If" comes from the San Francisco scene, and has a bit of the jazz club jam sound to it, but then lets Locke loose for a vibe extravaganza only matched by the groove in bassist Phil Sparks' extended solo. The album finishes off the way it started, with a delivery that promises more. The album is a fine one, rife with Caliman's obvious talent on the sax, but perhaps more so by the full supporting cast, each member of which gets plenty of time in the limelight, and makes it worthwhile.

Edited by marcello

no, but i did listen to iapetus. which wasn't as heady as i expected. i guess it is more of an album of good playing than deep afro-centric soulful jazz with electric touches as i thought it might be.

Really? Not "heady"?

Have we heard the same album?

j-sangz, i should say that "iapetus" requires more concentration than i expected. it is certainly heady, but it is a demanding album. i thought it would be more vaguely grooving and vamping riff tunes but that is not the case. it is subtle and explorative. maybe the presence of bayete and luis gasca (mispelled on album sleeve) led me to think this. well baytete could be challenging or he could be the "automatic man", hehe.

got my copy today from amazon-greatness thru and thru..........!

(one weird question- first release from origina label i ever bought- was covered in a thin easy to rip off plastic sleeve, then sticker over top....unlike store boughts....anyone have any other origin releases like this?)

there is not a bum track on this disc, so good to hear hc BACK IN TOWN!

:excited:

Guest Bill Barton

There's a CD release party for Gratitude at Tula's in Seattle on Friday, March 21st. The band will include Joe Locke and Thomas Marriott.

Word from Tula's as of today is that this is sold out.