Recent Parker JSP

Jerry

I bought it since my collection was notably absent of any Bird. I'm enjoying it. As Ghost says it's a chronological overview of his studio work starting in 1940 with McShann and ending in 1948. Sound quality is pretty good also.

If you don't have these sides elsewhere, I'd recommend it. At around $20, it's a good buy too!

I bought it since my collection was notably absent of any Bird.

I had no studio tracks (have the 4 disc live Savoy and another live one) and I knew this was something I had to rectify.

As I already had the Jack Johnson box ordered the Parker would get a free ride on the postage so I had to add it. As I added it at the last minute it's delayed the arrival of the Miles, and now I'm faced with a what do I play 1st dilemma. Hey, I'm not complaining!

Although it is an amazing deal it will likely result in more Charlie spending down the line. :P

There really should be some deal with the labels that Organissimo & the posters responsible get a shiney nickel (or appropriate coin for one's country) for every album bought because of this place. Though just 5 cents at the rate I'm going I'd make y'all rich in no time.

• 11 months later...

I've known of Charlie Parker for years. However, I 'heard' Parker, for the first time, only a few days ago. I've always found myself listening to bop in the post Parker period rather than 'the' Parker period.

I'm interesting in purchasing some Charlie Parker material. I'm wondering which box set would be the better way to go. If money isn't an issue, which is the better set of music between these two box sets? Which presents 'the music' in a better way? Which box provides better sound quality, better liner notes and better remastering?

JSP box

B0000AJ5SR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Atlantic box

B00006H6A6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm interesting in purchasing some Charlie Parker material. I'm wondering which box set would be the better way to go. If money isn't an issue, which is the better set of music between these two box sets? Which presents 'the music' in a better way? Which box provides better sound quality, better liner notes and better remastering?

If cash is not an issue, then would recommend this set. Great booklet and sound quality, issues the complete Savoy and Dial studio sessions...essential music.

CPSavoyDialUSA.jpg

Then this one...

B00000DC2I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And the Verve box...

B00000478B.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B-)

Since Bird is the reason why I listen to Jazz, LAL's recs are right on point, especially in the order mentioned.

The Complete Dial and Savoy are a cornerstone of any decent jazz collection and I can't imagine being without it. I also like the Live Savoy. Listen to White Christmas. You've never heard a Christmas song until you've listened to that. I also like the patter between Bird and Symphony Sid, although many (including Chris) consider him a controversial figure (read that as detest). However, I think you can get by with the recent Verve Masters box instead of all the alternates (I have both).

However, Bird is one artist where you want to listen and dissect every alternate.

I picked up the JSP set used for $15.  Fine selection of stuff, many different settings.  Plus, you get "Relaxin' at Camarillo."

It's difficult to know which set to buy. I'd like the nicer packaging of the Atlantic/Savoy box. However, I've read a couple of reviews, one being at AMG, that the JSP box is the recommended set to purchase.

I just re-read the post by LAL. It looks as if I missed the point of his recommendation. LAL is recommending a different Parker box than either of the ones I listed. LAL has listed the 'complete' Complete Savoy studio box. Yes, now I understand.

Edited by wesbed

I just re-read the post by LAL. It looks as if I missed the point of his recommendation. LAL is recommending a different Parker box than either of the ones I listed. LAL has listed the 'complete' Complete Savoy studio box. Yes, now I understand.

Keep your eye on eBay as this set can often be found there for not too much money. ($50-$60)

I recently got the Parker JSP box and I think it's wonderful.

However, it is not "complete". It surveys his studio recordings from the beginning (1940) through the Savoy and Dial years, ending 1948. It has only one take of each tune (other than including both the "Famous Alto Break", an incomplete take of Night in Tunisia, and a full take of NIT). It does not include any alt. takes. Also note that the takes that ARE included aren't necessarily the "master" takes. At least, they don't all match the takes on my Dial Masters set on Spotlite. Almost half of those takes are different.

But who cares? If you're not a completist, this is a great way to get an overview of Parker's entire recording career pre-Verve. The sound is mostly pretty good, I think. The notes are nothing special, as someone else noted.

Bottom line is, for the price I don't think you can do much better. If you have no or little Bird in your collection, you can't go wrong with this, and if you decide to get the complete Dials or Savoys at some point, you won't have wasted much dough on this set, and you'll have a decent amount of stuff that wasn't on those labels in the first place (the Jay McShann years, the sessions with Dizzy on Shaw Nuff, HotHouse and so on).

It's funny... I've had the complete Dial and Savoy recordings for a long time, but I never really could get into Bird.

Last year, my wife bought me the Parker JSP set. Since it was a gift, I went ahead and took the set to work with me and proceeded to listen to it frequently. Since the set was an overview, it really pulled me into Parker's music. I didn't get distracted by the alternate takes.

Listening to it finally helped me to GET Bird. :g

Bottom line is, for the price I don't think you can do much better.  If you have no or little Bird in your collection, you can't go wrong with this, and if you decide to get the complete Dials or Savoys at some point, you won't have wasted much dough on this set, and you'll have a decent amount of stuff that wasn't on those labels in the first place (the Jay McShann years, the sessions with Dizzy on Shaw Nuff, HotHouse and so on).

Thanks for your input. It is helpful.