MLB 2008

ESPN is reporting that the Yankees have acquired Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady for Ross Ohlendorf and three cans of corn. Now we're talking.

Up over and out.

Yeah... the guy that pitched himself out of the American League and the guy that can't seem to hold a starting OF job. Up, over, and huh?

Huh to you too....

Nady is batting .330 with 13 home runs and 57 RBIs. Marte is 4-0 with a 3.47 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings. Still sounds pretty good to me.

Up over and out.

We'll see.

I'll say this much: Cashman, once again, fleeces a team for a package of luncheon meat. Why do other teams continue to deal with the Skanks getting *nothing* in return.

I'm not overly concerned -- Nady is one of those Daryle Ward guys... the more you see him, the less he impresses. Hitting .330 in Pittsburgh with zero expectations is one thing -- we'll see how he does in the Apple. Same for Marte. He couldn't take the heat in Chicago, not sure how he'll fare in New York.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thom,

Agreed. The crucible that is Yankee Stadium has humbled many a ballplayer. Kenny Rogers, Ed Whitson, Carl Pavano, Javier Vasquez, Kevin Brown and Steve Kemp just to name a few. Even Randy Johnson if you compare his before and after statistics. So, how will these new guys fare? Only time will tell, but with the Yanks injury situation as bad as it is and potentially getting worse, they had to make a move to stay in the hunt. With regard to the Bucs,, as recently as two years ago, Jose Tabata was the crown jewel in the Yankee farm system. Since then, he's had some injuries, but perhaps more importantly from the Yank's perspective, some attitude problems. He could still turn out to be diamond in the rough, but in order to get something, you've got to give something up.

Up over and out.

Here's the deal with Nady:

He's having a career year for a second division club. Look at his performance before then:

.280 BA, .330 OBP, and power numbers that are nothing to write home about (OPS+ around 104 on average, which makes him barely above league average and doesn't take into consideration that a corner outfielder should be a power guy, traditionally)

And Marte, the new lefty for the pen, allows lefty hitters a higher batting average than righties this year. His ERA also represents a very large jump over last year, when the Bucs refused to part with him, and its up over his career number too. So essentially Marte is a useful arm for the bullpen, nothing more. David Robertson looked like a useful arm too, and he's young and can get better. But I'd imagine he'll be sent back down unless they wise up and DFA Hawkins.

And I love what I am reading on some blogs - Nady is insurance if Abreu leaves. Compare those numbers up above and tell me that Nady doesn't represent a gigantic fall-off from Abreu? I'd love it if they make that move. And last observation, Nady doesn't exactly have A-Rod power. Unless he gets a hold of a few from the foul pole to straightaway left, he is hitting far fewer home runs in Yankee Stadium. Now, is Nady in the mix as part of a platoon? Or does Damon never play LF again? And if so, where does Posada get some at-bats. And, heaven help the Yanks if Matsui comes back somehow.

Oh, and the talent given up - the Yankees are seriously thin in position talent in the minors. Giving up on Tabata and selling low on him could be a really bad decision. The two other pitchers are nothing, and we'll never know if Ohlendorf was a major leaguer now that he's in Pittsburgh. Personally I think he became the long man because in spring training he turned and spat before seeing that Girardi was down there, and hit him on his pants leg.

THAT WAS THE WORST, MOST INCOMPETENT DISPLAY OF HOME PLATE UMPIRING I HAVE SEEN SINCE ERIC "I'M A FAT MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE WHO CALLS STRIKES A FOOT OFF THE PLATE" GREGG.

IN FACT, IT WAS THE SAME FUCKING STRIKE ZONE. HE RUNG UP ELLSBURY ON A PITCH THAT TRAVELED DIRECTLY OVER THE RIGHT HANDED BATTERS BOX LINE. THE PITCH AGAINST LOWELL WAS IN THE SAME PLACE. NOT EVEN FUCKING REMOTELY CLOSE.

ITS TOUGH ENOUGH TO BEAT RIVERA WE DON'T NEED THE FUCKING UMPIRES DOING HIS JOB FOR HIM.

Yeah , that pitch to Ellsbury was on the PIKE !, as if he is not having trouble hitting strikes.

I have said this once if not 1,000 times Rivera has lived off those kind of calls for years and then in the post game

show they said Rivera has found the fountain of youth ???....what ?.....with those kind of calls off the plate the next 2 guys have to swing at anything and everything .

But lets face it Manny was the story for the whole night , Francona had to change the whole batting order because of that !

Here's the deal with Nady:

He's having a career year for a second division club. Look at his performance before then:

.280 BA, .330 OBP, and power numbers that are nothing to write home about (OPS+ around 104 on average, which makes him barely above league average and doesn't take into consideration that a corner outfielder should be a power guy, traditionally)

And Marte, the new lefty for the pen, allows lefty hitters a higher batting average than righties this year. His ERA also represents a very large jump over last year, when the Bucs refused to part with him, and its up over his career number too. So essentially Marte is a useful arm for the bullpen, nothing more. David Robertson looked like a useful arm too, and he's young and can get better. But I'd imagine he'll be sent back down unless they wise up and DFA Hawkins.

And I love what I am reading on some blogs - Nady is insurance if Abreu leaves. Compare those numbers up above and tell me that Nady doesn't represent a gigantic fall-off from Abreu? I'd love it if they make that move. And last observation, Nady doesn't exactly have A-Rod power. Unless he gets a hold of a few from the foul pole to straightaway left, he is hitting far fewer home runs in Yankee Stadium. Now, is Nady in the mix as part of a platoon? Or does Damon never play LF again? And if so, where does Posada get some at-bats. And, heaven help the Yanks if Matsui comes back somehow.

Oh, and the talent given up - the Yankees are seriously thin in position talent in the minors. Giving up on Tabata and selling low on him could be a really bad decision. The two other pitchers are nothing, and we'll never know if Ohlendorf was a major leaguer now that he's in Pittsburgh. Personally I think he became the long man because in spring training he turned and spat before seeing that Girardi was down there, and hit him on his pants leg.

I'm just glad the Sox didn't make that deal , i guess they had interest in Marte.

Someone on the post game show said the yanks made the deal so the Sox didn't get him ??....i don't know if i believe that?

Well the Sox weren't interested in Nady, of that I am quite sure. They've got their own fourth outfielder, his name is Brandon Moss. And I'm not sure who the "crown jewel" of the Red Sox system is (non-pitcher division) but I have no doubt that Theo doesn't think twice to refuse to deal him plus others for Nady and Marte.

Saturday, I went to the Giants game and watched in abject horror as Tyler "second coming of Felix Rodriguez" Walker proceeded to give away Lincecum's gem of a game back to the D'Backs.

13 Ks and all for naught....this after Rowand laced a two-run single to take the lead in the bottom of the 7th.

The SF bullpen is as useless as teats on a bull.

Dave Righetti must die.

Manny Ramirez wants to be traded because the BoSox don't want him any more...??? :huh:

Fine.

Trade him to San Francisco.

Hell, somebody has to be there to make up for the piss poor pitching. Barry Zito is busily walking in runs [in July...fucking July?] and Tyler Walker couldn't get a third strike if his very life depended on it.

Is there no end to the insanity?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Well, after the Braves played their best game, oh I don't know, 4-5 years Friday in a 1-0 win,(best defense I can ever recall from them in one game) they lost 2 games to the Phils, after having big leads in both. Usually, if you score 9 runs against Cole Hamels, you will win the game, but nope...they lost 10-9. Then today they had a 5-0 lead and lost it, and Brian McCann got a concussion when Shane Victorino went in helmet first into home....Also, Tex left after 7 innings without an injury(And McCann out of the game already) score was 12-5, but the Braves scored 5 more runs...really strange, if he wasn't traded. Cox leaves in McCann in 12-0 blowouts, so why take out Tex, unless he had been traded??? Haven't heard a word about a trade yet though.....

I was watching the game yesterday. I thought McCann was going to be carried off on a stretcher after that collision w/ Victorino. OUCH! Glad to hear that he only has a mild concussion. Sucked that he had to leave the game that way - he's been killing us this year. Phils got lucky that McCann, Tex, and Chipper were out of the game during the 8th/9th innings.

I was watching the game yesterday. I thought McCann was going to be carried off on a stretcher after that collision w/ Victorino. OUCH! Glad to hear that he only has a mild concussion. Sucked that he had to leave the game that way - he's been killing us this year. Phils got lucky that McCann, Tex, and Chipper were out of the game during the 8th/9th innings.

Maybe catchers should start throwing punches at the plate (with the ball in the glove, of course) when a baserunner is clearly about to plow them into the ground. One of the toughest positions in sports, IMO.

Well the Sox weren't interested in Nady, of that I am quite sure. They've got their own fourth outfielder, his name is Brandon Moss. And I'm not sure who the "crown jewel" of the Red Sox system is (non-pitcher division) but I have no doubt that Theo doesn't think twice to refuse to deal him plus others for Nady and Marte.

Well, so far I may be a bit premature but Nady does not at all resemble a .330 hitter. Granted, he's facing pitchers he hasn't seen before, but I've yet to see him display smart pitch selection when swinging the bat (unlike Abreu who is rumored to be gone after this season in favor of the "X" man). The 0 for 7 against the Sox doesn't bother me so much as the fact that he did not hit one ball hard, and when he came to the plate in last night's game with the bases loaded and only one out, and had a hitter's count 2-0, he then swung at a high ball 3 fastball, popping up a lazy fly to short center, not deep enough to score the man at third. Time will tell, but so far, a bust when under the intense scrutiny engendered by a Yank-Red Sox series.

Goodspeak, give us an OF that can hit in return and he's yours. My guess is he's going for a player that will get us an OF who can hit.

The McCann incident has me dyspeptic. He's my binky on the fantasy squad. I've had him 3 years running, but didn't draft him till this year. He's a keeper for next year -- sure hope he's okay. On a brighter note, I did what Theo would love to -- traded Man Ram and reacquired Han Ram (also cost me Reyes, but worth it!).

I was watching the game yesterday. I thought McCann was going to be carried off on a stretcher after that collision w/ Victorino. OUCH! Glad to hear that he only has a mild concussion.

And that was the second collision with Victorino in that game- McCann got one out and then the second time he got a helmet to helmet hit, like a football play.Glad he's OK.

Goodspeak, give us an OF that can hit in return and he's yours. My guess is he's going for a player that will get us an OF who can hit.

Good luck with that.

Those OFs who can hit ain't going nowhere.

My figuring is if you guys hate Manny that much, unload his ass on SF. He's gone, you're happy.

Otherwise, I think the BoSox fans/front office/his agent need to STFU....or are full of shit. Or you are using him to get to the playoffs.

Either way, the BoSox are either myopic or moronic.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Yankees get crushed, the Rays are losing, and what do we have to show for it?

FUCKING NOTHING BECAUSE OF THAT SQUINTY EYED PIECE OF SHIT WHO CAN'T THROW A FUCKING STRIKE TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

Tyler Walker?

He [pretends] to pitch for the Giants.

I think you have your wires crossed, Dan.

Well, the entire AL East looks drab and listless compared to the great ball game going on in Milwaukee right now. This has the feel of a playoff game. The 6th and 7th innings had me on the edge of my chair throughout. Great, great game. Back to it now!

:excited:

The Yankees get crushed, the Rays are losing, and what do we have to show for it?

FUCKING NOTHING BECAUSE OF THAT SQUINTY EYED PIECE OF SHIT WHO CAN'T THROW A FUCKING STRIKE TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

Paul Byrd, 7 2/3 shutout innings against Detroit tonight, is still available. Playoff experience. Yours for a AA prospect with reasonable high ceiling. Tribe will even pay his salary like they did with Blake (provided the prospect is high enough quality). :rolleyes:

Anyone in Dodgerland have opinions about the prospects that were surrendered for Casey Blake--catcher Carlos Santana (insert your own quip here) and pitcher Jon Meloan? Blake is having a career year, and has a high BA with RISP. But he causes much frustration--he's not nearly as clutch as the stats suggest. Still, he'll be better in LA than that chump Jeff Kent was in Cleveland (way back when). And he's got the best beard in MLB.

Cubs win. Cubs win. ... I like the Brewers but I haven't really watched them much. Their infield looked a little suspect tonight in the late innings -- Weeks at 2B failed to turn a double play that he probably should have and that cost them a run, and Hall at 3B looked to me like he gave up on a ball that ended up being an infield hit deep in the hole to short that extended another inning. But they can hit the cover off the ball. And the Cubs looked really tough. ... Yeah the Rays swept them earlier this summer, but I think the Cubs would crush Tampa Bay and its anemic offense now.

Unlike the Rays foundering offense, you can see that the Brewers and Cubs hitters have a plan at the plate. And both teams have a plan with runners on base. They don't constantly swing at pitches out of the strike zone and constantly swing underneath balls for fly-outs. It's a real treat to watch two clubs that know how to play offense.

Zambrano vs. Sheets tomorrow. :excited:

I think they've been worrying so much about Hank Blalock's return (breaking news: Blalock sneezed! He's back on the 15-day DL again!) that they forgot about the other players. :w

Do I know my team or what? Blalock was scratched with an upset stomach before the game! Oh no! We've built our entire franchise around this guy and he keeps having these tragedies!!! What will we do? What WILL we DO????

Feldman gives up three HR's to Seattle tonight... yet another fine performance by our Keystone Kollection of starters. Just another post-All-Star swoon from the "Texas" team.

God, I'm glad in Chicago this week. Like I said before, I only wish the Cubbies and the Brew-crew were here this week instead of Milwaukee. Oh well. Here or there, CUBS WIN CUBS WIN CUBS WIN still sounds the same!!!

Well, so far I may be a bit premature but Nady does not at all resemble a .330 hitter. Granted, he's facing pitchers he hasn't seen before, but I've yet to see him display smart pitch selection when swinging the bat (unlike Abreu who is rumored to be gone after this season in favor of the "X" man). The 0 for 7 against the Sox doesn't bother me so much as the fact that he did not hit one ball hard, and when he came to the plate in last night's game with the bases loaded and only one out, and had a hitter's count 2-0, he then swung at a high ball 3 fastball, popping up a lazy fly to short center, not deep enough to score the man at third. Time will tell, but so far, a bust when under the intense scrutiny engendered by a Yank-Red Sox series.

Hey, Nady hit a home run tonight, he's the next Babe Ruth! :P Man, I don't know how anyone has success in NY or Boston these days, when you can get judged in 7 AB's! New league, (Hey, its a guy from the NL, thats the fastball league, give him nothing but offspeed stuff, meanwhile, lets see if I can get a fastball under Ortiz's hands, never worked before, but I'm sure this time....)shock of moving , wanting to impress the new team, etc, etc, etc.

He's not a HOF'er but, even when he had just ok numbers in years past, he's been a guy who you don't really want up when his team is just down a run or two.

If he goes from hitting .330 to 300 in the AL, I think the Yankees will be happy with that.

Edited by BERIGAN

Good luck with that.

Those OFs who can hit ain't going nowhere.

My figuring is if you guys hate Manny that much, unload his ass on SF. He's gone, you're happy.

Otherwise, I think the BoSox fans/front office/his agent need to STFU....or are full of shit. Or you are using him to get to the playoffs.

Either way, the BoSox are either myopic or moronic.

Always a pleasure trying to have a conversation with you.

Its definitely a big win when you beat the Brewers on the road when their big (and I mean that in all senses of the word) acquisition starts. If they contain the Brewer offense and then get into their bullpen, they should be OK ... with Zambrano going and I presume Harden gets a start too, they've got a good chance to win the series, and a great chance to at least split, which leaves them in the same position with four more games off the schedule. Yeah, its early to talk about games left but every one of them counts and lately the Cubs have looked like they were wishing that the clock would run out when its only the third quarter as it were.