MLB 2008

Our ace is hurt - what's Kazmir's excuse? As much as the Rays would look forward to pounding Beckett again, Kazmir is no lead pipe cinch to hold onto any lead Beckett may give.

I think it's gotten inside his head now. He's gotten steadily worse as the year's gone on. I can't even recall the last time he made it out of the 5th inning, let alone with a lead. I think he had something like 51 pitches through two freakin' innings tonight. :blink:

And you're right, the Red Sox are all dip shits. ;)

(sixth inning and its 11:10 ... :eye: :eye: )

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a tiny hope they can pull this out, simply because the Rays have already burned two of their best bullpen arms and there are still 9 outs to go. And Masterson didn't throw many pitches last night, he should be fine for two innings if necessary, and with the day off you could see Papelbon for 1+ if they can get the lead.

The other thing is that the Rays really struggled to win this game and Upton is not really a very good Center fielder is he ?

I know he cheats by playing shallow but in late innings you can't get beat by baseballs flying over your head.

It was nice to see Farrell go out there and get into it with the Ump !

The other thing is that the Rays really struggled to win this game and Upton is not really a very good Center fielder is he ?

I know he cheats by playing shallow but in late innings you can't get beat by baseballs flying over your head.

It was nice to see Farrell go out there and get into it with the Ump !

Agreed on Upton playing too shallow. A guy with his wheels simply should not have balls hit over his head as often as he seems to. BUT, disagree that he's not a very good center fielder. He has great range to either side and in front of him, and has a cannon. Above average centerfielder, IMO. Just (like the rest of 'em) young.

With a lot of folks already putting Monday's game in the W column for Boston, should the Rays steal that one, that puts Wakefield in a must-win situation Tuesday. And I'd say that puts the pressure squarely on the BoSox to win Monday. Even if the Rays lose Monday, oh well ... everybody has 'em dropping that one anyways. They just gotta win one out of the next three to bring the series home.

Edited by papsrus

The fact is we had our boot across the throats of these fuckers and now they are right back in "we can't lose" mode. All because of one fucking idiotic move by Grady Little (was he that certain that he couldn't get five shutout innings from his bullpen? He got SIX.) It just makes no sense at all - and the decision is made even more stupefying by sticking with that big ugly fuckin Texan asshole with Longoria coming up.

ANY other fucking starting pitcher and this series is two zip.

And as Paps said, just win one and it comes back to Tampa. What he didn't say is that it comes back to Tampa for another Beckett SUCKFEST.

I'd rather face Philly, but precisely because I believe they are the better team, and I'd like to beat the best.

Getting to Balfour last night was very important. It will be interesting to see how he reacts; will he rebound and move on, or will he have a Kazmir-like implosion. I'd like to see the latter, just for the novelty of it. I'm okay with the split; and yeah, Becket sucked it and I continue to rue the day Hanley Ramirez was sent packing for that fat fuck. People like to point out that he was a big part of last year's Series victory. I like to respond that Ramirez may be the best player in the national league, and having him one mean, 1) Money available to get a front line starter, 2) No money wasted on Lugo, 3) No fucking Lugo! I've yet to figure the negatives of keeping Ramirez. You could have acquired Lowell anyway, and even more important, perhaps you could have gotten Becket for less. No matter, what's done is done, and we're stuck with Lugo for two more years. But I digress. I still say the Sox take the ALCS handily and the WS, nearly as handily.

Interesting game late into the night. I had plans to enjoy the game at home on the east coast after a 10 day trip in California. A nasty airline delay (mechanical problems that took 5 hours to figure out were there and unfixable) ruined my chances to watch the game. Or so I thought. Spent two hours at DFW waiting for a connecting flight (6-8pm central) and found not a single television on the C concourse watching playoff baseball. Everyone there is into their college football bigtime--and not just Texas/Oklahoma. Finally when walking to the gate to board, saw that it was already 2-0 in the middle of the first and thought (1) if Beckett is good tonight, it's over, and (2) the game will be over by the time I get to DC from DFW. Fast forward 3 hrs and 15 minutes. On the drive home the all news channel reports that its tied in the ninth inning. Got home at midnight instead of the scheduled 5pm. So despite a brutal decision-making process by an American Airlines captain (obviously agree with the decision to cancel, just not the process), got to enjoy the last couple of innings.

What is the deal with the "can't argue strikes" rule? Can you argue them one pitch later? To me, Francona and Farrell should have both been tossed, immediately. Really unsportsmanlike to go out there and whine, even if it's a pitch later. Chirp from the dugout (and get tossed) if you must. I thought there was a rule against this, or does it not apply to playoff Red Sox games? As a fan of neither the Rays nor the BSox, I could symphasize with the uneasiness of seeing Price come in for the Rays, and then to see double-barrelled action of Byrd and Timlin warming up for the Sox. With that, I was confident that the game would not go much longer. And Timlin lived up to his recent reputation.

Ultimately, I hope for anything else besides Red Sox/Dodgers just to avoid all of the nonsense surrounding Manny's return. Let that happen when he's wearing a Yankee uniform in some overhyped regular season game next year.

You saw how brutal his strike zone was - mostly for the Rays, like a Lowery K and a couple of others, and against the Sox, like the pitch that triggered the ejection - but you will always have chirping from the dugout. He lost it after the third pitch and got tossed, I think he should have come out with double barrel birds in the umps face. And he came out after he was tossed, do you expect him to come out after the pitch before that was so obviously a strike? No one comes out to argue balls and strikes, they run their mouth from the dugout.

And just as an aside, when they put up the graphic of umpires and their post-season experience, I said to my wife that starting with the second game, you are going to see shitty balls/strike calls. Yeah, the guys who have eight or ten years experience had to start out with zero or one years experience. But I'll bet they were pretty inconsistent then too. Prepare for more crappy calls ...

Edited by Dan Gould

Interesting scenario just raised my Mazzarati. There's an extra off-day between games 4 and 5. That means that Lester could come back for Game 6 on regular rest, and Wakefield could pitch game 7 in the dome, if necessary, if they are convinced that Beckett can't or shouldn't go. I know Wakefield hasn't dominated the Rays like he used to but in a Game 7 its "all hands on deck" so if it gets that far, Tito better be ready to start pulling guys before games out of hand.

If Beckett is hurt, they need to skip him. Maybe a few extra days helps, if we make the Series. He's not going to help us get there anyway. Ideally we win three straight but I'd be perfectly happy if it takes Lester in game 6 to nail it down. I haven't looked at the calendar but I bet that would still allow Lester to pitch Game 2 anyway.

I agree if Farrell got tossed before running out there. My understanding based on that crack TBS crew was that he got tossed after running out. But then I was jetlagged (thanks again American :rolleyes: ) and not rooting for either team, so your recollection is better than mine.

There definitely were a few bad calls late in the game that went the Rays' way. I didn't see anything before the end of the 9th so I can't judge the game overall. Farrell and friends have every right to be upset and to chirp (and possibly get tossed), but I think you cross the line when you run out onto the field with no other intention but to get into the umpires face about balls and strikes. If Farrell was already gone, fine. Get your money's worth. Why was Francona out there, to restrain Farrell??

Wheeler did recover nicely after giftwrapping the tying run to the Sox.

Over in the NL, is the Jamie Moyer Era now over, or are there a few more encores left?

I'd rather face Philly, but precisely because I believe they are the better team, and I'd like to beat the best.

I don't know about that. Dodgers have better starting pitching, Phillies better hitting. And we all know what good pitching does to good hitting.

Now, if the Phillies had the Dodgers pitching, that would be a WS worth watching!

I agree if Farrell got tossed before running out there. My understanding based on that crack TBS crew was that he got tossed after running out. But then I was jetlagged (thanks again American :rolleyes: ) and not rooting for either team, so your recollection is better than mine.

There definitely were a few bad calls late in the game that went the Rays' way. I didn't see anything before the end of the 9th so I can't judge the game overall. Farrell and friends have every right to be upset and to chirp (and possibly get tossed), but I think you cross the line when you run out onto the field with no other intention but to get into the umpires face about balls and strikes. If Farrell was already gone, fine. Get your money's worth. Why was Francona out there, to restrain Farrell??

Wheeler did recover nicely after giftwrapping the tying run to the Sox.

Over in the NL, is the Jamie Moyer Era now over, or are there a few more encores left?

If I remember correctly, he was run, and then came storming out...the TBS crew didn't know he had been kicked out til they saw the replay.

I think Moyer can pitch just fine IF the team he is facing is not patient. Same thing happened to Glavine most years with the braves. teams would not swing at the low and away change-up and if he just tried to go outside with the fastball, the took it the other way....

Moyer had a 5.01 ERA in 2007, and 3.71 in 2008. he's made 33 starts, 3 years in a row. I'm way too tired to look his other stats up, but I bet he did better in the bandbox than on the road.

I don't know about that. Dodgers have better starting pitching, Phillies better hitting. And we all know what good pitching does to good hitting.

Clearly. Their pitching is so much better that they were down 0-2. The Phillies are the better team, all that remains is to see if the games bear that out.

Clearly. Their pitching is so much better that they were down 0-2. The Phillies are the better team, all that remains is to see if the games bear that out.

Hey, the cubs were the deepest team in the NL, and they didn't win a game against the Dodgers!

Including the playoffs, the home team has won every game between the Phils and Dodgers. Of course, that would mean the Phils have the edge right now, besides the fact they are up 2-1

Lowe was 9-5 with a 2.30 ERA in LA. Billingsley was 10-4 with a 2.95 ERA at home(3.14 ERA overall) Lowe had 5 shut out innings before imploding in the 6th. He will be on a short leash tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather see the Phils in the WS instead of the Dodgers. The Manny story will be THE story in that series. I'd love to see him booed for 20 minutes straight, but I'd rather he just start looking for a sucker team in the NL that will give him 4 years and 100 mil,(Why did the Giants just pop into my mind???) and then see father time finally kick his ass....than see him hit some WS homers and get a 5 year deal from some stupid NL team. Goodspeak, Is he old enough for the Giants????