MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No shame in losing to the Halo's on the road. Even though its early I think the world series goes through Anaheim and Boston. They aren't hitting right now but they have great pitching, good d and are fast on the bases.

Not sold enough on the White Sox yet to see them as a major force in the post season.

Just ordered the Direct TV MLB package in high def ... :excited:

Took me about a half hour to do it though, including having to reset the receiver and getting past the first customer service rep who A) yawned into the phone when I told her the MLB channels weren't showing up as available in high def, and B) refused to do anything beyond telling me that the MLB package apparently wasn't available in high def. When I asked to speak to someone else (because she obviously didn't know wtf she was talking about) she just put me on perma-hold and I had to call back. ... 2 demerits for DTV customer service. ... The second woman was real sweet and straightened things out. Even tried to help me find the Angels-Rays game today, which is on one of those Fox Sports Net channels, and so I'd need yet another sports package to get it. But since I already get 95% of Rays games without it -- no thanks.

Nonetheless, tonight will be a high def feast of baseball. I'm thinking of running out to get some strawberries and whipped cream ... :excited: :excited: :excited:

(well, at the very least, I'll fire up some popcorn and have myself a seltzer or two)

Congrats! Anything that gets more baseball into one's life, is a good thing!

Boy, Duchscherer looked good tonight for the A's against the Yankees. Four K's, 5 hits over 7 innings -- not earth-shattering numbers, but he had real nice control the whole way. Too bad the Rays couldn't get a win today to help you out in the standings a bit, WB3.

... It could be interesting at the end of the month when the Yankees tangle with the Rangers. That's another team whose offense is fun to watch. If the Yankees are still stumbling around with their pitching, there could be a few runs scored in the Bronx that week. Too bad the Rangers don't have much pitching. Maybe if the Rays call up Price in July, and the Rangers are hanging in there in the West, Tampa Bay can put together a deal with some pitchers to get Hamilton back! :ph34r:

... a guy can dream ...

But it seems like the Rays are pretty well stocked with pitching right now and into the future. I know, I know -- don't trade away pitching. But now we need a killer bat or two -- a bona fide top 10 hitter. The Rays' leading hitter right now in batting average is Upton at No. 14, and they still haven't locked him up. Then you have to drop all the way down to No. 37 to find the next best hitter -- Aki. The Rangers have four guys in the top ten batting average. Surely they could part with one of those bats for some kind of pitching deal if Price is ready to step into the Rays rotation. The other night when they scored 13 runs notwithstanding, lack of hitting is starting to cost them.

Maybe if the Rays call up Price in July, and the Rangers are hanging in there in the West, Tampa Bay can put together a deal with some pitchers to get Hamilton back! :ph34r:

... a guy can dream ...

Let me be absolutely clear: NO FUCKING WAY!!! :g

But then, I wouldn't put it past the Rangers to trade a guy like Hamilton for future prospects that will also likely be traded away for some washed-up veteran pitcher on his last season.

Not saying there's a pattern here or anything..... :w

But it seems like the Rays are pretty well stocked with pitching right now and into the future. I know, I know -- don't trade away pitching. But now we need a killer bat or two -- a bona fide top 10 hitter. The Rays' leading hitter right now in batting average is Upton at No. 14, and they still haven't locked him up. Then you have to drop all the way down to No. 37 to find the next best hitter -- Aki. The Rangers have four guys in the top ten batting average. Surely they could part with one of those bats for some kind of pitching deal if Price is ready to step into the Rays rotation. The other night when they scored 13 runs notwithstanding, lack of hitting is starting to cost them.

Yeah, well have you seen how bad our staff has been the last few weeks? Two games in a row, the Rangers have spotted a five-run lead to the Royals. THE ROYALS, fercryinoutloud!!! Couple that with more atrocious defense (Geez, when was the last time the Rangers played a game WITHOUT an error?), and the bats are the Rangers only saving grace right now. Hell, I'll be glad to take some of that pitching off your hands for one of our batters.

As long as it's not Hamilton. ;)

Edited by Big Al

Hamilton is getting around the league minimum this year, I believe. Do you think the Rangers are willing to offer him a long-term deal? For your sake, I would hope so. Not only is he a great player (man he'd look good in right field here, batting cleanup), but he's gone from basket case to now being probably one of the more solid guys in your locker room, I'd imagine. ... But, as much as it would have been nice to have him here, he needed to move on for his own good, I guess.

Still, if the Rays are going to hang around this race, they need a bat or two I think. I'm actually surprised to see they're tied for 5th in the AL in batting average and tied for 10th overall with the Tigers and Giants. Better than I would have thought, but still, if I was GM I'd be looking for a proven hitter ... like, yesterday.

Hamilton is getting around the league minimum this year, I believe. Do you think the Rangers are willing to offer him a long-term deal?

That depends: is Scott Boras his agent? If so, then Hicks will pay him gazillions of dollars.

Yeah, but if he stays sober, it could be worth it. ;)

Maybe if the Rays call up Price in July, and the Rangers are hanging in there in the West, Tampa Bay can put together a deal with some pitchers to get Hamilton back! :ph34r:

... a guy can dream ...

Its not going to happen, Texas gave away their best pitching prospect to get Hamilton from the Reds last year. They even had scouts go to Hamilton's AA meetings and speeches he gave to people in recovery just to make sure it was the right decision. He is the best thing to happen to Texas in a decade or more. The guy is the real life "Natural" and a great story. A GM's dream on the field and off. Unlike in the natty the players on Texas don't care about the extra attention he gets and look out for him.

Boy, Duchscherer looked good tonight for the A's against the Yankees. Four K's, 5 hits over 7 innings -- not earth-shattering numbers, but he had real nice control the whole way. Too bad the Rays couldn't get a win today to help you out in the standings a bit, WB3.

I love Duchscherer. Great game last night.

I am loving the Gonzalez kid in CF, 8 of his 11 hits since he was call up two weeks ago have been doubles, the ball jumps off his bat.

Interesting article today in the local rag about how the Yankees seem to be waiting for something good to happen and look like they don't have a plan. A lot of the position players are questioning the move to put Joba in the rotation as the Yanks are known for having a strong bullpen.

To keep it musical related the writers (one of the best) father user to arrange charts for Frank Sinatra.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPRS117GE4.DTL

Edited by WorldB3

... a guy can dream ...

Its not going to happen, Texas gave away their best pitching prospect to get Hamilton from the Reds last year. They even had scouts go to Hamilton's AA meetings and speeches he gave to people in recovery just to make sure it was the right decision. He is the best thing to happen to Texas in a decade or more. The guy is the real life "Natural" and a great story. A GM's dream on the field and off. Unlike in the natty the players on Texas don't care about the extra attention he gets and look out for him.

True dat, and so far so good. I hope it lasts, I really do.

Very nice way to wrap up the homestand tonight with a 9-2 win over the O's. Lester was strong except for one inning and went seven allowing two runs on seven hits, and only one walk. It really looks like he has figured it out - he doesn't walk the park lately and his stuff gets guys out most of the time. You have to go back to April 23 for the last time he gave up 4 earned runs in a game, and he hasn't walked four in a game since April 29. Nice!

Even nicer today was Lowell following up an intentional pass to Manny with a grand slam to bust the game open. Add in Youk's tenth homer and the red-hot JD Drew's tenth and suddenly the team has five guys on the roster with 10+ homers on the season. And Drew is just completely ridiculous, he's hitting over .500 since Papi went on the DL, and now he is just one homer behind last year's total, and his OPS is now at .992.

Now, if we can just win some games on the road, with a trip to Cincinnati and Philly up next. At least the lead is 2 1/2 going in to interleague play, it will be real nice if we can somehow extend that by the time interleague is over and hopefully Papi will be back. At least the Marlins are playing better and the Rays have to take on the Cubbies, too (along with Houston and Pittsburgh). Then it is a return to Tampa for a showdown between the Fightin' Rays and the Wrasslin' Red Sox. And Papelbon isn't being too smart about it, either.

"Obviously as you can see it's a war when we go play those guys," Papelbon said on the Sox rivalry with the Rays.

“In my opinion it is a bunch of bull what they did," said Papelbon on the Rays piling on during the fight. "All I got to say is what comes around goes around. Payback is a bitch. In my opinion, and the way I feel right now, this thing isn’t all settled and done. We still got to play them a few more times and I know when we go into Tropicana things will be a little different than when went in there last time.”

Hmm. Well, I think the Rays need to just focus on getting back to winning a few games. ... But, these things die hard and Papelbon's fired up I guess. Why shouldn't he be? It's the Fightin' Rays! (Maybe we should go with Rumblin' Rays, just for illiteration's sake.) :cool:

Hmm. Well, I think the Rays need to just focus on getting back to winning a few games. ... But, these things die hard and Papelbon's fired up I guess. Why shouldn't he be? It's the Fightin' Rays! (Maybe we should go with Rumblin' Rays, just for illiteration's sake.) :cool:

:g

'cept its "alliteration". :w

:g

'cept its "alliteration". :w

:lol: ... swingandamiss ...

Nah ... I'm going to claim this is what I meant:

Definition of illiteration :.

(ĭ-lĭt'ər-ā-shən)

1. (n.) Any scattering of similiar sounds in sentences which are nonsensical, hence making them seem illiterate.

:rfr ... which I guess is what it ended up being anyways ....

They're playing the Papelbon soundbite on morning radio here today. ... :beee:

Had a surprise day off yesterday (yup) and, being at loose ends, just futzed around and watched entirely too much baseball. Started with the Pirates game; then Santana and the Mets vs. Arizona (Mets wasted a strong outing from Santana -- 10 K's and three hits through seven); checked out the Red Sox until they started pile-driving the O's; then over to the Phils-Marlins game where 83-year-old Jamie Moyer threw a gem (flirted with a no-hitter for a while); then put the A's-Yankees on for a while until I couldn't stomach it anymore. ... feeling a little woozy today.

EDIT: I'm noticing, I prefer when the color guy on these local broadcast teams is an ex-pitcher. I don't know if that's the norm or not, but Darling was pretty good for the Mets yesterday, and Joe Magrane on the Rays broadcasts always has some good insights. They can talk intelligently about what pitches should work and how to set up batters, etc.

Edited by papsrus

... looks like instant replay for home runs by August ... maybe ...

I'll believe that report when MLB makes an announcement. It makes a lot more sense to implement and test things in the Arizona Fall League before making it official and using it in games.

Meanwhile, young Mr. Masterson continues to impress. He gave up a leadoff homer to that Bruce kid but since then has sent down AW FUCK - Homer by Dunn, and a double after that. Jesus Christ. Well I was going to say that seven of the first nine outs were by strikeout. But now he's given the lead back, and there's a runner at second with one out.

FUCK IT - another double. 3-1. Might be hard to keep up with the Reds offense. Where the fuck is the rain????