MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a fucking infuriating night. I cannot for the life of me understand how a team can play .800 ball at home and be so fucking helpless on the road as to lose to Aaron Fucking Harang. Masterson strikes out a career high 9 and goes 6 2/3 and allows only three runs and for squat. And to top it off, Manny comes out with another twinge in his hamstring. I don't even want to fucking imagine playing this interleague schedule without Manny or Ortiz. And they fucking have to beat the Reds on a night when that Volquez kid is pitching tomorrow, and no one has figured out how to hit him. So I fully expect that Homer Bailey will be going for the sweep on Sunday.

The joy of interleague play! So Game #1 in the World Series of Suckatude was tonight as Washington played at Seattle (who having the worse record got the home field advantage.)

After 2 the visitors had a 7-1 lead, but in the spirit of the last Celtics-Lakers game the home team fought back. Unlike the Celts though Seattle came up short 1.

So while one R.A. Dickey of Seattle, who had an ERA of 18.90 with Texas last year was blown out in 1 2/3 after giving up 7 earned got the loss, Shawn Hill picked up the W by giving up 12 hits & a walk in 5 innings (4 earned.) Classic sucky baseball!

When in a 3 game series for the worst team in baseball it's important to lose the 1st game. With Bedard going tomorrow it may be difficult to clinch. After all this guy pitched 2 good games vs. the Red Sox. So forget the US Open on Sunday, the eyes of the sporting world may locked in on Seattle on Sunday!

Dan, Zen Archer, and the rest of the Red Sox nation...man, did you guys dodge a bullet Saturday!!! Flipped away from Cards-Phils game and saw the 8th and half the 9th of the Redsox vs. Reds game(Some sort a contractual obligation kept them from showing the bottom half) and when I saw Encarnacion hit the game tying homer off of Papelbon, I thought the game was over. But, one can never underestimate Dusty Baker's stupid in game moves(And Griffey swinging away 3-0 and grounding into a double play!) Leaving Mike Lincoln in there(never even heard of him before) to give up the 2nd homer, stupid!

Dan, Zen Archer, and the rest of the Red Sox nation...man, did you guys dodge a bullet Saturday!!! Flipped away from Cards-Phils game and saw the 8th and half the 9th of the Redsox vs. Reds game(Some sort a contractual obligation kept them from showing the bottom half) and when I saw Encarnacion hit the game tying homer off of Papelbon, I thought the game was over. But, one can never underestimate Dusty Baker's stupid in game moves(And Griffey swinging away 3-0 and grounding into a double play!) Leaving Mike Lincoln in there(never even heard of him before) to give up the 2nd homer, stupid!

No doubt we did dodge a bullet. I don't listen to the commentary but I assume that the Reds closer was unavailable, and that's why the other guy was in. I wasn't complaining!

But what I will complain a teensy weensy bit about is that the Yankees have to play the Reds but do it at home. That ain't right, when so much of the Reds offense is predicated on hitting homers in that tiny little band box of a park. Of course, Dunn could probably hit one out of the stadium but I think the Reds are much tougher at home without a DH than they will be on the road.

Changing the subject somewhat, I don't how many of you guys purchase the MLB package from your local cable outlet? One of many things I enjoy about subscribing is the chance to hear Joe Garagiola's commentary for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Apparently he must work only on select home games, Saturday nights? It really brings back such fond memories for me growing up in the 70's and hear him working NBC's Game Of The Week. The guy hasn't lost it and always has a great sense of humor and plenty of great stories to share. Still likes to pick on the umpires. :lol: Even though I'm a Dodger fan, if he's working the booth on Saturday night, I'll make an effort to watch some of the game.

... But, one can never underestimate Dusty Baker's stupid in game moves(And Griffey swinging away 3-0 and grounding into a double play!) ...

I made the same comment at the time. How do you take the bat off your shoulder until it's 3-1, at least.

... But what I will complain a teensy weensy bit about is that the Yankees have to play the Reds but do it at home. That ain't right ...

Amen to that!

Changing the subject somewhat, I don't how many of you guys purchase the MLB package from your local cable outlet? One of many things I enjoy about subscribing is the chance to hear Joe Garagiola's commentary for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Apparently he must work only on select home games, Saturday nights? It really brings back such fond memories for me growing up in the 70's and hear him working NBC's Game Of The Week. The guy hasn't lost it and always has a great sense of humor and plenty of great stories to share. Still likes to pick on the umpires. :lol: Even though I'm a Dodger fan, if he's working the booth on Saturday night, I'll make an effort to watch some of the game.

I'm going to have to check that out, thanks.

Well, nice to have an offensive explosion on another day without Manny. Coco, Drew, Ellsbury and Pedroia with home runs in a 9-0 bashing, and finally we get some help from the Marlins and are back to a 2.5 game bulge. I think the Cubs will give the Rays a little more of a challenge than Florida did.

And this might be a very costly big win for the Yanks. Apparently Wang injured his foot or knee rounding third. According to MLB.com:

With New York batting in the sixth inning, Wang was waved home on Derek Jeter's two-run single to right field. Wang scored but was hobbled as he rounded third base, hopping home and pointing to his right foot but grabbing at his right knee.

Not putting any weight on the leg is never a good sign. This could be bad.

And Paps, as far as Griffey goes, you might have to get used to his swinging the bat on 3-0. The rumors of him accepting a trade to Tampa seem to be picking up steam. The problem is, I just don't see how he can be a true difference maker now. He hasn't looked good really all season. But he'd certainly have a shot at the playoffs if a deal were made. I just don't think he'd be much of a help to his new team.

... But what I will complain a teensy weensy bit about is that the Yankees have to play the Reds but do it at home. That ain't right ...

Amen to that!

Just realized though that while the Yanks host the Padres, at least they do it at Yankee Stadium, where the park effects might actually help the woeful Padre offense. At least they ought to hit better there than they do at Petco, and they also have Wolf and Peavy going in the first two games. I think they've got a shot to cool the Yankees back down.

I know I'll be mighty pissed if this is the start of a Yankee push. It would be great if they flirted with .500 one more time. :g

And Paps, as far as Griffey goes, you might have to get used to his swinging the bat on 3-0. The rumors of him accepting a trade to Tampa seem to be picking up steam. The problem is, I just don't see how he can be a true difference maker now. He hasn't looked good really all season. But he'd certainly have a shot at the playoffs if a deal were made. I just don't think he'd be much of a help to his new team.

Just read the SI article. Not sure how I'd feel about this. As great a player as he is, Griffey is hitting .248 with 7 HR at this point. He'd certainly draw the fans, I would think. But I personally would not want to see them give up any A-list prospects in a deal like this. They're just on the beginning edge of what could be a long upswing.

OTOH, Griffey would be a great influence in that clubhouse, paying dividends for the entire roster. He may help elevate the play of everyone, in which case he'd be invaluable! ... I would hope that Price is not in this conversation, at least. But if Price pans out this summer and the Rays are hanging in there, I still think they could dangle one of their current 2-3-4 pitchers (not Kaz, of course) and package them in some kind of deal.

What they really need to do is lock up Upton. I might put a higher priority on that than even landing someone who could help them offensively this year.

Edited by papsrus

If the Rays offer Price for Griffey, then whichever Met GM who sent Kazmir for Zambrano will finally be off the hook for the worst trade in history.

No definitive word yet on Wang's injury but the NY media is full of reports that his season is in jeopardy. The Times is saying that he told someone he felt a "pop" indicating a likely ligament tear. Others are reporting that like Brian Bruney, he has a Lisfranc injury (I'm sure the spelling is way off). Bruney opted against surgery, has been out two months to date and has no timetable for a return. So if the injury is similar, I'd say Wang's season could be over.

Which makes the possibility of a Sabathia trade even more intriguing. Of course, when the Yankees are asking from a position of obvious need/desperation, you can bet that the demands will be even bigger. On top of that, the Red Sox have been linked with Sabathia, and just like the Santana sweepstakes, you can bet that the Red Sox will keep a toe in to make sure it costs the Yankees as much as possible.

At the same time, Cashman is so wedded to his prospects, if he couldn't part with them for Santana, will he part with them for Sabathia? Or will he simply look at it as an opportunity to see what he's got with these young pitchers? When you skip over Igawa and Karstens, there are some other guys at AAA that look like they could be pretty good.

And at the same time, if the Yankee bats have awakened, they can still win without Wang. Its just that what would be 7-1 wins may end up 7-5 or 10-8. The bigger problem would be if they bash to a playoff birth but still don't have the starters to compete when the runs are harder to come by.

I don't know why the Rays would make this deal, considering his numbers and they're a team on the upswing. If they do make a bad deal, there is still no way that anyone will ever forget the Kazmir trade, speaking as a Mets fan.

Paps, that is an interesting idea....Griffey...but....did you see the milestone homers on Baseball tonight??? His swing seems different now, less fluid. A hitch in his giddy-up or something. I have read he has trouble catching up to really good fastballs now. Of course, even though he played forever in the AL, spending the last several years in the NL, he might get pitched like a typical guy coming over from the NL and get nothing but breaking balls, which just might be what the doctor ordered!

Meanwhile, the Braves, after beating swept by the Phillies then the Cubs, go out to California to play the first place Angels(For the very first time) and took two of 3! We don't like to sweep though, just seems rude....That and Saunders is a Lefty, and lefties are kryptonite to the Braves.

Meanwhile, the Braves, after beating swept by the Phillies then the Cubs, go out to California to play the first place Angels(For the very first time) and took two of 3! We don't like to sweep though, just seems rude....That and Saunders is a Lefty, and lefties are kryptonite to the Braves.

As an A's fan I appreciate the effort. Anything to bring the Halo's down to earth even a little bit helps. However the reality is unless the A's go on a 15-20 game win streak and play 700 ball in the next six weeks its over as they only have 20 home games left in the entire season after July 31st.

I have to remind myself that this year was about the kids in the Haren and Swisher trades (both are looking like steals so far!) getting experience, rebuilding for next year and anything close to 500 ball would be a nice surprise.

Paps, that is an interesting idea....Griffey...but....did you see the milestone homers on Baseball tonight??? His swing seems different now, less fluid. A hitch in his giddy-up or something. I have read he has trouble catching up to really good fastballs now. Of course, even though he played forever in the AL, spending the last several years in the NL, he might get pitched like a typical guy coming over from the NL and get nothing but breaking balls, which just might be what the doctor ordered!

He'd be a good fit though I think, don't you? ... Yet, there's something about this franchise acquiring great hitters who are past their prime (Boggs, Canseco) that makes me hesitant. I'd rather see them acquire a younger bat. ... Griffey's in a whole different category, though. What he'd bring to that clubhouse alone would probably make it a good move in the end, I think.

I'm sure ownership is keeping its eye on the long view.

Again, yesterday, Upton's range and speed to the ball causes confusion in the outfield and a sure-out fly ball drops between him and Gross in right-center as they both backed off at the last second. Not that it made a difference -- it was already 6-2 Marlins at that point. But as good as they are defensively, that's a bugaboo that keeps cropping up. Upton either has to take more control out there or just become more aware of the range of the fielders on either side of him. Probably doesn't help that they're platooning in right field. ... Hence, the need for an every-day right-fielder who can hit.

As an A's fan I appreciate the effort. Anything to bring the Halo's down to earth even a little bit helps. However the reality is unless the A's go on a 15-20 game win streak and play 700 ball in the next six weeks its over as they only have 20 home games left in the entire season after July 31st.

I have to remind myself that this year was about the kids in the Haren and Swisher trades (both are looking like steals so far!) getting experience, rebuilding for next year and anything close to 500 ball would be a nice surprise.

And what do you do with Rich Harden??? I mean, he might still have the best stuff of any starter in the game....hold on to him, and hope against hope that he's turned it around permanently, or trade him now, right now, for the best deal????

I could see holding onto him a bit longer, hoping each healthy start will mean more prospects, but.....if he gets hurt again...that might finish any chances of him getting anyone back....

He'd be a good fit though I think, don't you? ... Yet, there's something about this franchise acquiring great hitters who are past their prime (Boggs, Canseco) that makes me hesitant. I'd rather see them acquire a younger bat. ... Griffey's in a whole different category, though. What he'd bring to that clubhouse alone would probably make it a good move in the end, I think.

I'm sure ownership is keeping its eye on the long view.

Again, yesterday, Upton's range and speed to the ball causes confusion in the outfield and a sure-out fly ball drops between him and Gross in right-center as they both backed off at the last second. Not that it made a difference -- it was already 6-2 Marlins at that point. But as good as they are defensively, that's a bugaboo that keeps cropping up. Upton either has to take more control out there or just become more aware of the range of the fielders on either side of him. Probably doesn't help that they're platooning in right field. ... Hence, the need for an every-day right-fielder who can hit.

Paps, I would not want to be the guy to make the decision! Who knows? He might just be re-energized by going to a new, young team with lots of energy. And if he draws more fans, more money to sign guys you have, and perhaps free agents in the future....but, what if he continues to hit under .250 with little power???

And what do you do with Rich Harden??? I mean, he might still have the best stuff of any starter in the game....hold on to him, and hope against hope that he's turned it around permanently, or trade him now, right now, for the best deal????

I could see holding onto him a bit longer, hoping each healthy start will mean more prospects, but.....if he gets hurt again...that might finish any chances of him getting anyone back....

Good question, while his stock his high right now, I doubt that other GM's would offer enough compensational talent back for how good he is due to past injuries. I would roll the dice and keep him as the upside is so high. If they decide to get rid of a starter I would rather see Blanton go.

Well the news is in on Wang - lisfranc "sprain" + partially torn tendon. Minimum of six weeks on crutches and in a protective boot. That is all they will say but you can extrapolate out that under the best scenario, he's in the boot until the end of July. Its at least a month, maybe six weeks before he gets his arm strength back to pitch again (Its five+ weeks from the start of spring training to the first start of the season). That makes a return before September 1 questionable, and again it presumes that his injury heals on schedule (it sounds like the lisfranc problem isn't as bad as Bruney's was but that the tendon is the bad part of the injury).

So what do the Yanks do? It will cost a mint to get Sabathia, and I don't see the Indians giving him up very soon. Even a lesser light like Chacon of Houston or Arroyo will not come cheap. The Yanks are in a bad spot and teams aren't going to feel sorry for them. You can also expect the Sox to inquire on any trade target they may have, just to keep the price up.

So in the meantime they've gotta go with whoever looks best at AAA and just find out what kind of pitching depth they have. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle again a la Aaron Small. I think though this puts extra pressure on the offense because they'll most likely need to win more games by 8-6 scores. And this really puts pressure on the bullpen. The Yanks were already dead last in number of innings the starters have given and the number the bullpen has thrown, and that was with Wang. Without him, you could see a complete implosion of the bullpen in August. So pressure is also on Pettitte and Joba to be innings-eaters. You'll probably see Girardi leaving both of those guys in longer than you might otherwise expect, just hoping that they get through another inning per start, to save the bullpen. Same maybe with Mussina. That could lead to troubles too since Pettitte isn't himself to date, and Mussina may or may not maintain his success. He always looks a couple of misplaced pitches away from giving up the big inning.

While the Yanks are having their issues the entire NL West is in free fall.

A year after 3 teams made the post season and two from the West were in the NLCS the D-Backs just went 17-24 in May-June and GAINED a half game in the standings on the 2nd place Dodgers.

Despite that I still bet Torre is happier here on the left coast.

Well, I was excited to see Colon face the Phillies on national TV. I thought it would be interesting to see if folks would be surprised/impressed at how far he's come in his comeback.

Now, I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop - that Colon has injured his elbow or shoulder.

He looks pathetic, and either can't or won't throw a fastball. He was sitting at 93, sometimes touching 94 in his last start and has looked stronger and stronger and better and better. So what the fuck happened? Unless he and Tek came up with a plan that called for nothing but offspeed pitches to start, and he's going to start humming some balls in there, he has to be hurt.

I guess that the good news would be that it means that Masterson won't have to go down to Pawtucket after his start Wednesday (Dice-K comes off the DL this week) and they still have Buchholz waiting for his chance to come back. But I thought that Colon would give us about three times as many starts before he'd start biting the big one.

On the positive injury front, Ortiz had his cast removed today. He reports no pain, which is considered the benchmark for a successful progression toward a full recovery. Doesn't mean he'll be back very soon, he needs to go through range of motion exercises, test the wrist by swinging the bat, hit off the tee, soft-toss, regular batting practice and a rehab assignment. But its good news that they removed the cast at the earliest opportunity. I think there's hope he can be back for the Rays series at the end of the month, certainly for the Yankee series after that.