MLB 2008

Mark Kotsay was pulled from the Starting lineup, but see nothing on mlbtraderumors.com yet....Did the Red Sox get him????

According to Olney and Gammons, they are talking to him about his no-trade clause. Certainly wouldn't bother me, if the cost isn't significant.

I certainly hope not. 6 HR, 37 RBI... he's basically Coco Crisp with less speed.

He's a better hitter than Crisp, honest. he may not be the defender Crisp is, but most fans of the Braves think he's better than Andruw Jones was in 2007. He missed a good chunk of the season, got on a roll for awhile , but after everyone on the team went ice cold, he cooled off as well. But clog the bases with runners, and he will do just fine.

He's a quality guy as well....from the AJC beat writer David O'Brien...

Kotsay left impression: To a man, every uniformed and non-uniformed Braves person that I asked had nothing but praise for Kotsay, all calling him a pro’s pro, a consummate team player who played the game right, etc.

They were all also happy for him that he was going to get to go to Boston and play in that Fenway environment for a team with a chance to go a long way in the postseason, perhaps all the way.

“I’m gonna miss him a lot,” Kelly Johnson said. “He was always there to keep it light. But at the same time, when you needed to bounce something off someone, he was always there, like mentor-older teammate guy. He was awesome. He could do it all. I’m happy for him, though.”

Will Ohman said Kotsay told him in spring training that there were three teams he always hoped he’d get to play for during his career: Braves, Red Sox, Yankees.

“Now he’s getting to play for two of them in one year,” Ohman said.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that the Yanks are realistically, if not mathematically, dead in terms of the postseason, what's the assessment on the job Girardi did? Yeah, there are all kinds of killer injury excuses, but the fact is that Torre was 12 of 12 in making a playoff appearance (not to mention the 6 WS with four wins). The G-man is 0 for 1. Girardi of course will be back. Will be interesting to see what changes the Yanks can and will make.

I always felt Girardi was a poor choice and I think you can fairly say that Torre's laid back approach fostered confidence that they could turn things around while Girardi's grinding-his-teeth intensity is not conducive to come backs. But Girardi gets a pass for this season, for better or worse. It will be real interesting to see what happens. I think they have to wave goodbye to Giambi - he can't hit for any sort of average anymore and his splits against power pitchers is atrocious. Only his numbers against "finesse" guys make his season almost look like he still has a productive bat.

Abreu is a tougher decision but I think that like Theo made the decision to get younger, so should Cash (assuming he comes back). Abreu's numbers on offense are pretty good but for how much longer? Plus his defense continues to be shoddy when he gets near a wall.

Pettitte is a big question mark to me. He probably will decide to return so that he can play in the new stadium, but he shouldn't expect the same 16 million. He's not the guy he used to be.

Mussina is another question mark. Does he go out on a high note? If he doesn't can he keep it up and pitch this well again? History suggests otherwise. His success has been a function of not walking batters and keeping the ball in the park. I don't know how you can be certain that he will not only stay healthy again but will maintain that level either.

So who do they go after? Teixeira is the obvious choice, and I suspect that the pitching problems this year will mean that they'll throw money at Sabathia.

But whatever happens they will still have a fundamentally old roster - Jeter has turned into a singles hitter and is 34; Posada may have trouble with his shoulder and have to play first (so long Teix, we hardly knew ye); Mariano had a great year in save situations but he'll be what, 39? Damon was better but may have to play CF regularly to play out his contract and keep the spot warm for their top position prospect whose name I can't recall. And last but not least there is Matsui, who seems to be paying the price now for being the Iron Man earlier in his career. If healthy he can hit but he should be kept out of the outfield most of the time. Nady will help there but if they let Abreu go, they'll still have an OF spot to fill.

What's strange about that comment at the end, Conrad, is that Boston was on Kotsay's no-trade list, and they had to make a nearly $400,000 payment to get him to drop the objection.

Well, it may be a product of wanting to play everyday still. The Woeful braves didn't want Kotsay to play fulltime next year. Just because he's hit for the highest average, and is the best defender as well for the braves of 2007, he'll be 33 next year and has back issues! :rolleyes: He knows more than likely he won't be asked back next year by the sox, and may not play much the rest of this year, which will make it hard to show other teams he should be an everyday centerfielder....just guessing. Worded this poorly, but I'm tired, and want to write about other baseball stuff now....not rewrite this crapola.

Don't forget, it's a package deal, you get Jamie Kotsay as well! :excited:

The Braves are right now, worse than the teams of the 80's. Everyone except backups Omar Infante and Martin Prado(Perhaps not backups anymore, they are both hitting over .300) is next to worthless with a bat in their hand. I heard that their team ERA of 6+ since the all star break, is up to this point, the worst in Major League history!!!

The worst of the worst...

2nd sacker, Kelly Johnson. Still can't field the position. And as a hitter? At the end of May, he was hitting .300. Hit .250 for June, .224 for July, and .232 for August. 3 doubles are the ONLY extra base hits he has for the month of August. Wait, I lie, he got a triple last night. His slugging percentage is .312 after the triple!!!!

The only person with a lower Slugging percentage in August??? Jeff Francouer, .274! He's been outhomered by Willie Harris of the Nationals! After 4 hits in the last 2 games, he has brought his August average up to .214.

I think I heard the whole outfield had only 22 homers for the year, and we just traded away 6 of them.

Quincy, still think you can win this pissing contest??? ;)

You know it's a mediocre season when people are celebrating a sweep against the lowly Royals.

Millwood throws two complete games in a row now that the games are meaningless.

The Rangers may not be the worst team in the world, but they are certainly one of the most frustrating to root for! :crazy:

You know, I'm supposed to be happy with two out of three in New York, and if the Yankee bats had come alive and spanked us I would have been annoyed but looked at the bright side. But the way they fucking PISSED this motherfucking game away just infuriates me. There is no fucking way on God's green earth that Okajima is supposed to face Giambi in the seventh inning. NO MOTHERFUCKING WAY. Do you expect Giambi to pinch hit for Molina with a runner at second, after the geriatric rookie got lucky after a strike three foul tip? Fine. Which lefty faces him, the soft-serving Okajima or Lester, who was dealing all day long??

You could motherfucking see that home run coming. Fucking Masterson would have been a better fucking choice.

Now the motherfucking Yankees can pretend that they are still in it, and when the Blue Jays lose tonight, we fall back to 4 1/2 out of first place.

With the Twins right on our tails, we cannot afford any losses of games with a two run lead with seven fucking outs to go.

:rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

Quincy, still think you can win this pissing contest??? ;)

Your rundown of the Braves does look mighty grim. But if we were to have a playoffs of sucking you guys still haven't clinched the wild card yet (you're up against whoever doesn't finish last in the Central between the Pirates & Reds.) Washington & San Diego seem to have their divisions won...er, lost. The Giants right now are too good to make such a playoff.

The Mariners have a good sized lead over the Royals being 6 games "ahead" for the worst record. In a series of sucking does the worst record get home field advantage? Not sure how things work in bizarro playoffs. The A's at the moment would be wild card, and the Orioles may be last in the East but are playing .474 baseball and seem far too good. Their winning % is better than 7 National League teams.

Edited by Quincy

Went to the Rays-Jays game Wednesday night. Good game. The people who were there were into it. But damn ... pathetic attendance. Heard on ESPN the Rays have the lowest August attendance in MLB. That's just sad.

I think the sagging economy combined with a shitty ballpark in a bad location are partly to blame. They could probably promote the team better, too, with TV spots featuring local celebs like Dickie V and Hulk Hogan whipping up some excitement. But really, I got a front row seat, press box level right above the Rays dugout for $28. That's a great seat for a great price, I think. You don't have to drop $100 to go to a ballgame. Shit, I've been to movies and dropped more than $28 once you add in popcorn and watered-down soda (the biggest ripoff known to man).

Anyways, just disappointed that for whatever reason, people won't go out to see a first-place team in a playoff race unless Kool and the Gang are giving a post-game concert. Weird. ... I would guess a waterfront ballpark might change that, but who knows ... :blink:

EDIT: plus, now that football season is starting, I wouldn't be surprised to see interest in the Rays totally evaporate. <_<

Edited by papsrus

What a win by the Cubbies!! Down 4-1 in the eighth, a grand slam by A-Ram wins it over the Phils!!!!

GO CUBS!!!!!

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! HOLY COOOOWWWW!!!!

Be prepared for the October let down.

Now, now, they are now a team that has a monster budget like the Yankees or Red Sox, one of the best teams money can buy, they should go far. Money talks, and all that....

What a win by the Cubbies!! Down 4-1 in the eighth, a grand slam by A-Ram wins it over the Phils!!!!

GO CUBS!!!!!

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! HOLY COOOOWWWW!!!!

Be prepared for the October let down.

Now, now, they are now a team that has a monster budget like the Yankees or Red Sox, one of the best teams money can buy, they should go far. Money talks, and all that....

True, but remember it's the CUBS. They always find a way to snap defeat out of the jaws of victory......

cubs_fan_interferes_nlcsgame6_standsview_large.jpg

The Dodgers are in a tailspin. I can hardly bear to look.

Very strange after the whole team was hitting right after Manny got there.....

Not so strange... it's the curse of the Manbino.... still glad he's yours.

Considering the winning percentage with Bay, and the way Bay has played - as many RBIs as games played - who wouldn't be glad?

And it will really thrill me to no end if we do some damage in October while Manny is yelling at Boras, "why did you tell me to force a trade?" while Joe Torre is booking tee times.

What a goddamn motherfucking PISSER of a game.

If they miss the playoffs by one game, this is the game down the stretch that they fucked away through frightful incompetence of hitting and umpiring (the fucking home plate umpire needs some remedial lessons on the strike zone and the fucking third base umpire should be fired for cause).

Well - I can't resist.

Sabathia pitches a one hitter complete game shutout (really a no hitter if anyone saw the play).

Looks like the Brewers will get the wild card.

Will they catch the Cubs?

Probably not, although they still have 6 games together (& I do know what happened the last time they played each other).

Brewers would clearly win either of the other 2 NL divisions.