MLB 2008

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting news from Fenway - Drew will apparently make his first start in five weeks tonight. Supposedly the second epidural not only made him feel better, but there were no bad effects after BP yesterday. Of course there have been other times that he has felt better, ready to go, then he can't straighten his back again.

But I like our chances a lot better with Drew (and Mikey) in the lineup than the alternative.

Hey! Cubs pitched around a lead-off triple to force extras. Keep hope alive!

(My Dad was pointing out how nice it would be if the Cubs could do to the Mets what they did to us in 1969. The way I look at is that the best thing that can happen is to force the Mets to take it to the last day and use Santana on Sunday. Then he can't pitch the first game of the Division Series. I'm pretty sure the Cubs can handle the Mets if they face them in the first round but I'd feel better if Santana won't pitch twice in the series. Actually the problem with the schedule is that after the Mets, the Cubs get the Brewers. So they could hurt the Mets by winning a couple and then help them by beating the Brewers?)

In the meantime, I have to say that for the last month or so, Manny DelCarmen has pitched as well as I've ever seen him. And Okajima has pitched better, given lighter responsibilities than last year. If they can keep it up, Masterson gives them three very strong arms in front of Papelbon. Who knows, the starters and the bullpen could be the best thing the Sox have going for them.

Looks like the front-office has already written off next season as well....

Nolan Ryan opts for more of the same for the 2009 Texas Rangers

By RANDY GALLOWAY rgalloway@star-telegram.com

That’s me, down for the count.

Never saw it coming. Took it flush on the chin.

Tom Hicks wins. John Hart (still a trusted adviser) wins. Jon Daniels wins.

Nolan Ryan is now one of them.

Pass the Advil. Nolan once told us, didn’t he, that product was the best for the relief of aches and pain?

The Rangers will stay the same for 2009, the same in philosophy and leadership. Nolan made that declaration to our man Jeff Wilson on Tuesday night at The Ballpark.

This is a great victory for the Jon Boy baseball administration. It’s a puffed-up moment for the ownership reign of Hicks, since Tom informed me a month or so ago that Nolan was his best hire in 10 years of notoriously bad ones.

It also means manager Ron Washington hangs on for another year, which for fairness was actually the right thing to do. Ryan’s worst move would have been to fire Washington and keep Daniels.

One thing, Nolan. Don’t leave the manager hanging as a lame duck. Since Ron is back for next season, give him an extra year (2010) on the contract.

The verbal abuse — much deserved, I admit — came rolling in Wednesday from friends and fellow media members.

I have repeatedly championed the hiring of Nolan in February as the Rangers’ new great hope, a hiring that would bring much-needed change. My now-gleeful pals had a totally different view.

To them, Nolan was just a hood ornament for Hicks. A big name. A good name. But in the end, the Rangers would still be the same ol’ Rangers.

Well ...

You can talk all you want all season with respected people from within the organization, particularly Ryan, but what you think you know, you find out you don’t. Plus, thousands and thousands of former fans, along with the rest of us, can see it on TV (if they still care enough to watch), so no explanation is needed about why this organization continues to fail.

Therefore, the now-trite question of where is the pitching won’t be necessary.

Click here for (literally) more of the same....

With Tom Hicks running this team (into the ground), I feel like we have baseball's equivalent of the Detroit Lions. Sure there are worse teams than the Rangers, but every damn one of them that have been around a lot longer (and some not even as long) have won a playoff series, some even a World Series. As long as shit like this keeps happening and as long as Hicks/Hart is still running the show, it's gonna be a looooooooooooong time before we see any post-season play around here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I'm Michael Young, I'm calling my agent and demanding a trade right now to a serious contender. This guy's career is going to waste on the Rangers, and if he was on a respectable baseball team, he'd be infinitely more popular.

Having said all that, GO CUBS!!!!

Good thing the [hated] dodgers won it by backing in with an AZ loss....the Giants would just have loved to knock them out of the playoffs or at least into a Monday one-game playoff.

Looking forward to watching my Giants waving bye-bye with their knuckles this weekend.

C'mon, Bochy....don't let us fans down.

BEAT LA!

Edited by GoodSpeak

An annoying loss for sure. Who would have guessed that the Met bullpen wouldn't blow it in the ninth? Now it will be up to the Marlins, and I guess I need to root for the Cubs to tank against the Brewers. One thing is for sure - anyone with tickets to the "final" regular season series at Shea better be ready for some very wet baseball. They need to get each game in and will play through conditions that might otherwise lead to a rain delay or postponement.

Another dramatic victory for the Brewers as Braun hits a grand slam in the 10th.

Yovani Gallardo throws for the first time since May 1st and Ks 7 & 1 run allowed in 4 innings (held him to 64 pitches.) He had surgery last May on a torn ligament in his knee on his pushoff leg. Nice job after such a long layoff at an important time.

Another dramatic victory for the Brewers as Braun hits a grand slam in the 10th.

Yovani Gallardo throws for the first time since May 1st and Ks 7 & 1 run allowed in 4 innings (held him to 64 pitches.) He had surgery last May on a torn ligament in his knee on his pushoff leg. Nice job after such a long layoff at an important time.

Their win, and the Mets win, were something else! Not much of a Mutts fan, but I will feel sorry for them or the Brewers, whoever doesn't make it. \

Oh, and for those that think closers are meaningless, I heard Gammons say(Via info from Bill James and Starks) that if the Mets games all ended after 8 innings, they would have a 7 1/2 game lead in the east....

Dan, I am wondering about the rain. They may have to cancel a game or two, and play double headers. MLB can screw around the Astros, but they can't do the same thing to the Mets and have them lose because Santana or someone else hurt themselves in a downpour....

I was toggling around among the games last night -- most fun I've had watching baseball in a long time. Twins sweeping the ChiSox was great. What a series. I think the Twins would be a tougher opponent for the Rays in the playoffs, but I don't care. I'm hatin' on Ozzie, A.J. and those punk ChiSox. ... And the Mets game, of course. Coming back after falling behind the way they did in the 7th was really something. I missed the Brewers walkoff, but can't have everything.

FYI

We are gonna sweep the Bosox

Payback for last year's ALCS

Not that it really matters

:ph34r:

oops

Side note: Here's crap in the Skankees eye for omitting even video footage of Joe Torre from their celebration. That's the sort of class I'd expect from a Dan Duquette-run franchise, not the New York Yankees.

Edited by Thom Keith

I wouldn't mind at all if the Twins steal the division from Chicago, with Javier "He's Not a Big Game Pitcher" Vasquez getting beat on Sunday. Nothing like a little Ozzie explosion to end the season, and the Twins rotation, iirc, is well-set for the post-season with Liriano available for Game 1. He gave the Rays trouble the last time he faced them and has an ERA just over 2.00 since he came back from AAA.