Virginia Mayhew

JSngry

I've heard the name, but only today heard the artist. KNTU played something off her new album, "Babble On", an uptempo original with "standard"-ish changes. The head was nice, but her soloing (on tenor) was what really got my attention - a real ability and desire to play ideas, not licks, and a very free yet swinging rhythmic flow, the total opposite of the constant stream of eighth notes that is so common among today's "straight ahead" players. An attactive tone too, somewhat reminiscent of Harold Land, but not derivative or cloned. I hear a player simultaneously thinking, feeling, and, in general, just having some serious fun in a thouroughly substantive and original way. The way she varied and broke up her phrasing yet still maintained an ongoing momentum was quite interesting and impressive. And yes, again, ORIGINAL! Hell yeah.

So what's the deal on Virginia Mayhew. Is she a totally "in" player, or does she do freer stuff too? Does she mostly play tenor? Was I just in a good mood, was that just a really good cut, or is she consistently this fresh in her playing?

I'd like to know more. This chick sounds like she can play!

(P.S. - if I can call male musicians "cats" and "dudes", I can call female musicians "chicks", so don't anybody go left on that. To reiterate, she sounds like she can PLAY, and if anybody thinks that the word "chick" diminishes the genuine respect I have to have for a player before I'll say that about them, they are truly clueless, and can BITE ME! :g )

I'd like to know more. This chick sounds like she can play!

(P.S. - if I can call male musicians "cats" and "dudes", I can call female musicians "chicks", so don't anybody go left on that. To reiterate, she sounds like she can PLAY, and if anybody thinks that the word "chick" diminishes the genuine respect I have to have for a player before I'll say that about them, they are truly clueless, and can BITE ME! :g )

:tup:tup:tup

Jim, Babble On in on her new one. I had heard her name mentioned for the last year or two and also didn't know much about her. She really makes a statement with this project...and with a very good band. Don't know if you've communicated with Father Thorne on these boards. He heard her live with this band in Anchorage earlier this year. Knocked his socks off.

f85514eef61.jpg

Jim,

I have Phantoms and enjoyed it very much. She pretty much plays it straight, but there are a couple of interesting arrangements and subtle hints at the Ornette influenced sound. Check with our mutual friend. He gives this one a wholehearty endorsement.

Ronald