Sahib Shihab Reissues

BruceM

Where can I find some more info on this? It's not on their web-site.

Go to DG's Upcoming Releases tab. Select "Jazz" from the genre choices and enjoy. If you have an account, and who doesn't, you can ask to be notified by e-mail when any CD you've designated hits the streets.

Up over and out.

Isn't most of 'Companionship' already on Rearward/Schema's 'And All Those Cats' compilation by Shihab?

Only a few tracks I believe, but most of "Seeds" is on that one. And Shihab's 1963 Argo album is scattered around "Those Cats" and the Clarke-Boland collection "Calypso Blues" (also on Rearward). There were a few albums with more or less the same lineup (Johnny Griffin's "Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz" also features the Clarke/Boland/Woode rhythm section, and Ã…ke Persson as well), several of which were reissued by Rearward some years back, but each session was always spread around. "Griff 'n Bags", nominally a Johnny Griffin compilation, was another one in that series.

I once snatched up Griff'n'Bags, the Shihab, and the Calypso one from a dusty sale very cheap... great discs, all of them! I wish I also had the Clarke/Boland Rearwards reissues, never found those for acceptable prizes.

'Our Kinda Strauss' is really great, just spinning the 2LP set. Not to be missed in fact (sorry). Keep an eye on the Rearward site as additional copies of these sometimes become available. When they do, Dusty is usually first in the queue to offload them. (For example, the Shihab 'And All Those Cats' LPs - unfortunately though not the 'Strauss'). :tup

Edited by sidewinder

And Shihab's 1963 Argo album is scattered around "Those Cats" and the Clarke-Boland collection "Calypso Blues" (also on Rearward).

According to Doug Payne's site the versions of Lillemor and Please Don't Leave (Me) that are on "Calypso Blues" are not the versions found on the 1964 Argo album "Summer Dawn" , so that album has yet to see a proper CD reissue . A real pity , since that is a great album , composition-wise , performance-wise and sound-wise . The "And All Those Cats" CD does include a previously unissued short track from "Summer Dawn" that I look forward to hearing when that album receives the CD reissue it deserves .

Isn't most of 'Companionship' already on Rearward/Schema's 'And All Those Cats' compilation by Shihab?

Johnny Griffin's "Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz" also features the Clarke/Boland/Woode rhythm section, and Ã…ke Persson as well)...

According to Dusty Groove, Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz is also about to be released, so something to look forward to.

Where can I find some more info on this? It's not on their web-site.

it is on their website, here. but i'm afraid it's not updated or at least doesn't feature upcoming projects. all those cats, one of their older reissues, which i have, is there.

Try here, I think all the new ones are mentioned:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?adv=...&category=1

That clarke/boland sextet looks interesting as well.